Fowler on the verge of going to Cubbies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eldiablo505
    Also pretty sure KS deserves all the credit.
    Funny how we agree on most baseball stuff.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Hold off on trading for Jake Marisnick in your fantasy league! Now the Astros have Colby Rasmus in town for a physical.

Comment

Well, Rasmus would certainly be a welcome addition to the human wind farm they're assembling in Houston. ;-) Alternative energy rocks!
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Supposedly the deal is in place. 1yr/4mil. Nice bargain for the Astros, I guess?

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
            Supposedly the deal is in place. 1yr/4mil. Nice bargain for the Astros, I guess?
            Rotoworld saying 8 mil. Not such a great bargain imo.

Comment

Yeah, Jon Morosi claimed more than $4 million initially, then switched to a $8 million contract claim, then passed the credit of the $8 million claim to Matt Yallof of MLB Network about 15 minutes later (like he is now trying to pass off blame if the report is not legit).

If so, this should be about $1-$2 million cheaper than Fowler's expected contact for the year. It feels like a step down on its own with Rasmus struggling to make even adequate contact most seasons, but being able to platoon or flat out replace Dominguez with Valbuena probably helps the Astros overall in 2015. I am seeing some media flack already about the high strikeout potential of that current lineup.

Comment

From a real baseball point of view...I think Rasmus is a an upgrade over Fowler and is a bit cheaper also. I think it is a very solid move to basically get Rasmus/Valbuena and Straily for around 13M instead of just Fowler at 9 or 10M.

Comment

and it looks like the Astros are also close to signing Ryan Vogelsong. They also DFA'd Carlos Corporan, who they had been trying to trade for a few weeks.

Comment

Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow made his name drafting in his time with the St. Louis Cardinals, picking the right player more consistently than any of his peers. The player it all started with,…

“I got to say, based on how Jake [Marisnick] did at the end of last year, he’s going to be strong consideration for a starting spot,” Luhnow said. “But you know, I think part of the theme of how we’re constructing the roster is there’s options at every position. … Based on what Jake did second half of last year with us, yeah, he deserves every opportunity to be a starting outfielder, and he’ll probably get (that opportunity).”

While Evan Gattis, another recently acquired bat, could play some left field occasionally, he’s looked at more as a first baseman and designated hitter, two positions that are themselves getting crowded with Chris Carter and Jon Singleton.

“We don’t know what Gattis is going to look like in left field,” Luhnow said. “If he’s good out there or adequate, I’m sure he’ll get some at-bats out there. Is he going to be our everyday left fielder? I can’t imagine that happening with the guys that we have, but we want to have that bat in the lineup.”

“Guys that have options are going to have to prove to us that they belong in the big leagues. I don’t think it’s just Singleton. Like I said, we’ve got multiple options at every position on the diamond now. So, you know, players may not be playing their preferred position — that puzzle will come together in spring training. We’re only guessing to try to figure it out right now.”
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                      and it looks like the Astros are also close to signing Ryan Vogelsong. They also DFA'd Carlos Corporan, who they had been trying to trade for a few weeks.
                      Guessing Corporan scoots up to Texas

Comment

and my guess was correct

Comment

Working...
                        X