Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fowler on the verge of going to Cubbies

no word on returns yet

Houston beat writer Brian McTaggert confirms Fowler to the Cubs for Dan Straily

Comment

A steal for Houston, IMO
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        A steal for Houston, IMO
        Funny, I thought it was a steal for the Cubs. I guess it's an even trade then!

Looks like Luis Valbuena will also head to Houston. Not sure if anything else is going to Chicago.

Comment

It's official, both Valbuena and Straily for Fowler.

Comment

Wow. So Houston deals a 1.5ish WAR guy who's oft injured for a SP with decent upside and a guy who's been a 2+ WAR player two years in a row. Nice.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Actually, I think it was a good trade for both teams.

Comment

Originally posted by whalewang View Post
                Actually, I think it was a good trade for both teams.
                Yep I agree this is good for both teams. Unfortunately I lose a $1 Valbuena in my deep NL only 5x5.

Comment

Nice trade for Houston, they get to use Marisnick in center now, with either Gattis or Grossman in left.
                  Last edited by BigJonEmpire; 01-19-2015, 12:16 PM. Reason: Marisnick not Markakis...

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    Wow. So Houston deals a 1.5ish WAR guy who's oft injured for a SP with decent upside and a guy who's been a 2+ WAR player two years in a row. Nice.
                    B-R.com lists Valbuena with a 1.6 WAR in each of the last two seasons, while Fangraphs has him at 2.1 and 2.7. Clearly the Cubs use B-R.com!

Also, dealing him opens the door for Bryant to start his MLB career by early June.....

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                      Well, and Fowler is far from cheap given the production he provides. He's in line for like $10.5 in arbitration, isn't he? That's a pretty poor WAR / $ ratio right there. I'm not so sure that he doesn't have negative value overall. Pretty impressed with Houston's trade. Also pretty sure KS deserves all the credit.
                      wow. I found that impossible to fathom so had to google it ... you're right, 10.8 is what he asked for ... the stros offered 8.5 ... still a bigger number than I was expecting.
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

What exactly is Houston going to DO with Valbuena? Does this mean the end of Dominguez as a regular? Not that he was any great shakes.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonEmpire View Post
                          Nice trade for Houston, they get to use Marisnick in center now, with either Gattis or Grossman in left.
                          I assume they'll go with Springer in CF, Gattis in LF, and the Marisnick/Grossman platoon in RF with Carter/Singleton at DH/1B.

Comment

Here is what the GM said. If you read the attached articles, pay close attention to what the GM says and not what the writer gives as his personal speculation. The writer is not very good at clearly identifying the difference between the two. I'd pay attention to the former and ignore the latter.

The official website of the Houston Astros with the most up-to-date information on scores, schedule, stats, tickets, and team news.

"One of the things I said going into this offseason is we had options at third, short and first so we need improve our performance coming out of those positions," Luhnow said. "With Luis being a left-handed hitter and Matt being a right-handed hitter, you could see both of them sharing that position or some other configuration. It gives us options. Valbuena is a proven Major League bat who can play premium positions, so we're excited."
                            "It's something [manager] A.J. [Hinch] and the staff is going to have to work through," Luhnow said. "Marisnick is a natural center fielder, and it's possible he's our Opening Day center fielder. Who knows? I think it's nice having guys with versatility."

The official website of the Houston Astros with the most up-to-date information on scores, schedule, stats, tickets, and team news.

While Gattis has spent more time at catcher than any other position, Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow has said being in an AL lineup will allow the Astros to use Gattis differently. They can plug him in at designated hitter, as well as at first base and catcher.
                            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

So the Astros will be following the A's into the brave new world of platoonedness? Seems to be the hot new thing these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X