Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scherzer on the verge of a 7 year deal...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by revo View Post
    What??

USA Today's John Perrotto said that he's hearing that Stephen Strasburg is "very much available" following the Nationals' reported deal with Max Scherzer.
    According to Perrotto's sources, both Strasburg and the Nationals think that it might be "time to move on." While Scherzer's signing probably requires a secondary rotation trade by the Nationals, the idea of them trading away one of the faces of the franchise is surprising to say the least. Strasburg went 14-11 with a 3.14 ERA last season to go with a career-high 242 strikeouts over 215 innings. Jordan Zimmerman seems a more logical trade piece, but it's possible that the Nationals are looking to make a bigger move.
    Reds have been rumored to want to move Chapman. I think that is a fair trade. Nats can replace Clippard and Cincy gets a barely over .500 pitcher. I think it was the Angels owner that was asked how he could replace Nolan Ryan in 1979 and the reply was "You mean how can I find two 8-7 pitchers?" so my logic must be sound.

Comment

Originally posted by dslaw View Post
      Reds have been rumored to want to move Chapman. I think that is a fair trade. Nats can replace Clippard and Cincy gets a barely over .500 pitcher. I think it was the Angels owner that was asked how he could replace Nolan Ryan in 1979 and the reply was "You mean how can I find two 8-7 pitchers?" so my logic must be sound.
      That sounds like homer speak to me, amigo! Chapman is a great reliever, but Strasburg is a great starter. No way is that a fair trade straight up. Strasburg is worth quite a bit more than Chapman overall.

Honestly, I don't get the desire to move Strasburg. He's got two years left and the team is going to lose a boatload of players (Fister, Zimmermann, and Desmond) to free agency next year. I'd be holding onto Strasburg for 2016 at all costs. Unless some team comes in and steamrolls Rizzo with an offer he can't refuse (something like Taijuan Walker and Brad Miller, which I wouldn't condone at all as an M's fan, but that's the kind of deal I mean), I can't see how unloading Strasburg would make any sense at all. Deal Zimmermann for a decent prospect and be done with it. It's an easy equation, and I'd certainly trade a decent prospect for a year of Zimmerman (think Semien for Samardzija).

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
        That sounds like homer speak to me, amigo! Chapman is a great reliever, but Strasburg is a great starter. No way is that a fair trade straight up. Strasburg is worth quite a bit more than Chapman overall.

Honestly, I don't get the desire to move Strasburg. He's got two years left and the team is going to lose a boatload of players (Fister, Zimmermann, and Desmond) to free agency next year. I'd be holding onto Strasburg for 2016 at all costs. Unless some team comes in and steamrolls Rizzo with an offer he can't refuse (something like Taijuan Walker and Brad Miller, which I wouldn't condone at all as an M's fan, but that's the kind of deal I mean), I can't see how unloading Strasburg would make any sense at all. Deal Zimmermann for a decent prospect and be done with it. It's an easy equation, and I'd certainly trade a decent prospect for a year of Zimmerman (think Semien for Samardzija).
        That's the reason that they would deal Strasburg...he's a better trade chip since he's under control for the next couple of years. And according to everything that I've heard/read, they'd rather take a shot at keeping Zimmerman, who they view as a true #1 starter. They'd still have a studly 5 man rotation, and they could solve some of their current and future issues.

And don't forget that they have Lucas Giolito in the pipeline just a season or two away.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Hey Bod, not to hijack this thread but I'm curious. Is brad miller the ss next april and does he have a decent season at the plate in him?

Comment

Yeah but if they move Strasburg, they can probably get what RAJ wants for Hamels. Namely, Betts and a couple other solid prospects, or the equivalent of a top-15 prospect and a couple other top-100 or top-150 guys.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
              Yeah but if they move Strasburg, they can probably get what RAJ wants for Hamels. Namely, Betts and a couple other solid prospects, or the equivalent of a top-15 prospect and a couple other top-100 or top-150 guys.
              Not to hijack this thread on a trade speculation tangent (but I guess I'll do it anyway!)... Strasburg is an excellent pitcher, but you don't give up 6 cost-controlled years of Betts for 2 years of expensive Strasburg. The Rays would've gotten a Betts-like package for Price last off-season if that was the case. And you see what they ended up taking for Price? Nowhere close to Betts. I get the name value and talent of Strasburg, but 2 years of someone like him isn't actually worth a super return. It's certainly worth more than a year of either Zimmermann or Fister, but it's also not a crazy package like you're thinking.

If I'm the Nats, I hold onto Strasburg, mostly because losing him really decimates the 2016 rotation. They'd have Scherzer and Gio and a whole bunch of question marks at that point (and no, I don't think Giolito will be ready by then, especially since this particular organization puts kiddie gloves on their young pitchers.)

Comment

Chapman for Strasburg straight up is definitely a homer trade. I guess I didn't get that point across very well. I can see why the Nats would want to move Strasburg instead of Zimmermann due to the cost of resigning Strasburg when he is a free agent. If they put Strasburg out to other teams it just takes one GM to overpay to say "look at me, I got Strasburg" and the Nats can get a great haul.

I doubt the Reds have any kind of prospects the Nats would be interested in so Strasburg won't be going to Cincy but I can dream. Maybe adding Sam LeCure gets it done?

Comment

Not to hijack this thread on a trade speculation tangent (but I guess I'll do it anyway!)... Strasburg is an excellent pitcher, but you don't give up 6 cost-controlled years of Betts for 2 years of expensive Strasburg. The Rays would've gotten a Betts-like package for Price last off-season if that was the case. And you see what they ended up taking for Price? Nowhere close to Betts. I get the name value and talent of Strasburg, but 2 years of someone like him isn't actually worth a super return. It's certainly worth more than a year of either Zimmermann or Fister, but it's also not a crazy package like you're thinking.

If I'm the Nats, I hold onto Strasburg, mostly because losing him really decimates the 2016 rotation. They'd have Scherzer and Gio and a whole bunch of question marks at that point (and no, I don't think Giolito will be ready by then, especially since this particular organization puts kiddie gloves on their young pitchers.)
                  I agree with you on the 2016 rotation. And maybe Cherington is too smart to make this deal. But there are some GMs out there who would mortgage the farm to get the guy they see as all caps STEPHEN F'ING STRASBURG even if he hasn't quite lived up to the hype since returning from TJ.

Comment

They also have Tanner Roark, who wan 15 games last year, so that's a pretty sound top 3 without even looking at what they may end up with in a potential deal or next years free agent crop of pitchers. And Giolito is going to be a couple of years along from TJ at that point in 2016...he may not start the season with the Nats, but I'll bet he ends the season in the rotation. He's simply that good...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
                      Hey Bod, not to hijack this thread but I'm curious. Is brad miller the ss next april and does he have a decent season at the plate in him?
                      Nobody knows at this point. The organization likes Miller and knows he can hit, but they're worried about his defense at short and his strikeouts. As of right now, the team is stating that it's a competition between Miller and Chris Taylor for the starting gig, and the loser is presumed to be headed to Triple-A. If I had to lay odds, I'd probably say Miller is a 60/40 favorite to win the job, but it's by no means guaranteed. With the Mariners making strides in the hitting department via Free Agency and trading (Nelson Cruz, Seth Smith, and Justin Ruggiano have all been added), the M's may feel a bit less pressure to get Miller's bat into the lineup at short if they don't like his defense there in the Spring. Taylor's a much smoother defender overall, and while he doesn't have Miller's upside offensively, he also doesn't give at bats away as much as Miller does right now.

We'll see in the Spring how hard Miller has worked over the off-season to improve his game. If he does well in the Spring, I think the gig is his regardless of what Taylor does. I had hoped that the M's might consider using Miller in a Ben Zobrist-like utility role where he played some outfield as well as filled in as a platoon shortstop, back-up at second base and outfield, and DH where injuries presented opportunity. Had the M's not landed Seth Smith via trade, there would be a lot more optimism for that kind of role for Miller. But as it stands, most of the spots seem pretty well stocked up, at least early on before the injuries start hitting.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                        They also have Tanner Roark, who wan 15 games last year, so that's a pretty sound top 3 without even looking at what they may end up with in a potential deal or next years free agent crop of pitchers. And Giolito is going to be a couple of years along from TJ at that point in 2016...he may not start the season with the Nats, but I'll bet he ends the season in the rotation. He's simply that good...

Hell, Giolito is ready now. But Rizzo treats his young arms like most mothers treat their babies. Giolito won't be allowed to go over 130 innings this year, and at least 100 of those will be spent in Double-A. Do you think that leaves him any room for the end of season rotation? Me neither.

Comment

Hell, Giolito is ready now. But Rizzo treats his young arms like most mothers treat their babies. Giolito won't be allowed to go over 130 innings this year, and at least 100 of those will be spent in Double-A. Do you think that leaves him any room for the end of season rotation? Me neither.
                          2016 season Bodz, 2016...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                            2016 season Bodz, 2016...
                            D'oh!

Comment

I'm babysitting Giolito myself. I can wait
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                              X