Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scherzer on the verge of a 7 year deal...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scherzer on the verge of a 7 year deal...

Looks like the Nats, and maybe one other team, per Jon Heyman...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

It may have Heyman's name attached to it but that is all Boras.
    Its not what you've got. Its what you give.
    Its not the life you choose. Its the life you live--TESLA

Princess Kate-Kate Marie Hrischuk 9/12/00-1/27/07

Comment

Washington would be a fun location for Scherzer to land. He'd get the benefit of the league switch, and he'd go to another good team with playoff aspirations for the foreseeable future (and a weak division). I've wondered for a while when the Nats would pony up the money I'm 100% positive they have, and this would certainly make some sense. They've got a lot of players coming off the books after 2015 (Desmond, Fister, J.Zimmerman, etc.), and locking in a grade A pitcher to move forward into that void is a solid move. I think it will hurt them in the long run (as all longterm pitcher deals do), but they've got some money available and Scherzer is a badass. If you're going to spend some money, Scherzer's as solid a choice as any.

Comment

Kilgore (Washington Post) says Scherzer to the Nats is close. Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
          Washington would be a fun location for Scherzer to land. He'd get the benefit of the league switch, and he'd go to another good team with playoff aspirations for the foreseeable future (and a weak division). I've wondered for a while when the Nats would pony up the money I'm 100% positive they have, and this would certainly make some sense. They've got a lot of players coming off the books after 2015 (Desmond, Fister, J.Zimmerman, etc.), and locking in a grade A pitcher to move forward into that void is a solid move. I think it will hurt them in the long run (as all longterm pitcher deals do), but they've got some money available and Scherzer is a badass. If you're going to spend some money, Scherzer's as solid a choice as any.
          The rest of the division is rebuilding or not a shoo-in to contend. They need to strike while the iron's hot, so this makes perfect sense.
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

agreed, although the Mets appear to be on the upswing.
            I don't believe they'll spend money in spite of being in the biggest market, beyond the great pitching depth, due to the ineptness/financial situation of the owners. If that's true, the Nats can pencil in multiple more divisional titles for the next few years.

ace in hole for the Nats is that the Mets' owner is old but his son is middle-aged and fancies himself a "baseball man", so not much hope of a sale.
            Last edited by Judge Jude; 01-18-2015, 09:52 PM.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
              The rest of the division is rebuilding or not a shoo-in to contend. They need to strike while the iron's hot, so this makes perfect sense.
              Yup. They've got a 3-4 year window at this stage, and Scherzer's a perfect fit. If they've got the money, I'd say do it.

Comment

Unbelievable...they either trade Zimmerman for a haul, or have a 6th starter (Roark) who won 15 games with an ERA under 3...

I really like what the Nats are doing...managing to come out on top (IMO) in most of the off-season deals and signing the big dog of free agency.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Seems to me that they could use another arm or two in the 'pen. Someone like Tyler Clippard would be a great fit.

Comment

I bet they can replace Clippard for less than 9mil. Or just put Roark there. This late in the off-season I'm not sure how many teams will blow things up to trade for Zimmerman.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                      I bet they can replace Clippard for less than 9mil. Or just put Roark there. This late in the off-season I'm not sure how many teams will blow things up to trade for Zimmerman.
                      I'm sure there are a few, especially if prospects are in the mix. Red Sox, Toronto, Detroit maybe, Texas for sure, I could see the Cards and Cubs making the move, The Giants have been searching...

Comment

If they trade Zimmerman at all (and looking at the roster, I'm not sure how much they'd benefit... need are a temp right fielder and maybe a bullpen arm with a healthy farm system already in place) Ruben Amaro is going to look like an even bigger dolt than he generally does for not moving Hamels when he had a clear field to move him. With a year of Zimmerman potentially on the market and all of the guy available in free agency coming up he now has serious competition as contending teams can opt for a lower cost Zimmerman for this year with the hope of extending him over the huge pricetag he's placed on Hamels.
                        Last edited by Bob Kohm; 01-19-2015, 11:09 AM.
                        "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                          If they trade Zimmerman at all (and looking at the roster, I'm not sure how much they'd benefit... need are a temp right fielder and maybe a bullpen arm with a healthy farm system already in place) Ruben Amaro is going to look like an even bigger dolt than he generally does for not moving Hamels when he had a clear field to move him. With a year of Zimmerman potentially on the market and all of the guy available in free agency coming up he now has serious competition as contending teams can opt for a lower cost Zimmerman for this year with the hope of extending him over the huge pricetag he's placed on Hamels.
                          Agreed, though I bet the Nationals would still take a longer term upgrade at second base.

Comment

What??

USA Today's John Perrotto said that he's hearing that Stephen Strasburg is "very much available" following the Nationals' reported deal with Max Scherzer.
                            According to Perrotto's sources, both Strasburg and the Nationals think that it might be "time to move on." While Scherzer's signing probably requires a secondary rotation trade by the Nationals, the idea of them trading away one of the faces of the franchise is surprising to say the least. Strasburg went 14-11 with a 3.14 ERA last season to go with a career-high 242 strikeouts over 215 innings. Jordan Zimmerman seems a more logical trade piece, but it's possible that the Nationals are looking to make a bigger move.

Comment

This seems really odd to me, it seems clear we're missing some information here. Either an attempt to extend Strasburg was rejected or some personal issue or both. Some facts are missing to make trading Strasburg seem logical at this point.

Comment

Working...
                              X