2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    So as if the Padre Starters weren't already going to be worthless, Green is suggesting they might keep 7 starters and piggyback them through starts, essentially limiting them to one time through the line up per start, then bringing in a second starter, then going to the bullpen the third time through.

So there you have it, the Padres will set a new record for losses in a season, but do it in the most idiotic fashion you can imagine.
    Nothing against the Padres but i hope that fails miserably. Because if something like that were successful then all of the copycat MLB managers would want to implement that same system.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

So there you have it, the Padres will set a new record for losses in a season, but do it in the most idiotic fashion you can imagine.
      The Padres potential starting pitching IS a dumpster fire .... however, are you stating that the starters will combine for the most losses by starting pitchers in a season, or the team will set a record for most losses in a season? We can all remember the 2003 Tigers. Can the '17 Padres possibly be that bad?
      "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
      "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
      WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
      PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

• Originally posted by kawaise View Post
        The Padres potential starting pitching IS a dumpster fire .... however, are you stating that the starters will combine for the most losses by starting pitchers in a season, or the team will set a record for most losses in a season? We can all remember the 2003 Tigers. Can the '17 Padres possibly be that bad?
        They signed and plan to start Jerad Weaver.......

Comment

• Keep this in mind. That they plan on carrying seven starters is only the most obvious indication that they could be historically bad. They also plan to carry three rule five players. They have no idea who's backing up 1st base. Thier fifth outfielder is also thier back up catcher and a relief pitcher. Thier staring outfield started last season in the minors. They're deciding between Sardinas, Aybar and Cordoba (rule 5) as to who starts at ss

It should show the organization which way to go regarding some players, but I don't see this ending well at all

Comment

• Originally posted by kawaise View Post
            Tigers starters were Bonderman, Cornejo, Maroth, Bernero, Knotts and Roney. ERA ranged from 4.67 to 6.08. The most exciting thing I remember from that season them winning several games at the end including coming from behind 8-0 to beat the Twins in order to avoid having the worst record in the MLB in a single season. The Padres would need 121 losses to surpass the 62 Mets team.

Comment

• The 2003 Tigers lost 10 straight to get to 38-118, so they needed to 5-1 or 6-0 to avoid tying the Mets' 120 losses (40-120).

They went W, W, W, L - uh oh. then they indeed trailed 8-0 in the 5th inning of Game 161 - then scored a run in the 5th, 3 in the 7th, 4 in the 8th, and finally they got the winning run in the 9th for a 9-8 thriller. The Twins pulled Brad Radke (14-9 that year) after 5 innings and 80 pitches, probably figuring he had the W in the bag. But the bullpen blew it.

This is weird: the losing pitcher for the Twins was 46-year-old Jesse Orosco, in the final game of his MLB all-time record 1,252 games pitched. he allowed a one-out walk to Alex Sanchez, who then stole 2nd and 3rd. Jesse whiffed his final batter, Warren Morris - too bad Morris reached first and Sanchez scored on the strike 3-wild pitch.

After all that, Game 162 must have seemed like a formality. The Tigers scored 7 in the 6th to break a 2-2 tie and send Mike Maroth (9-21) to the win.

meanwhile, it must have been a weird year for Dmitri Young, who had a strong 144 OPS+ with 29 HR, 85 RBI, and .297 AVG amidst the carnage. their only good pitcher was RP Jamie Walker, who had a 130 ERA+ in 78 appearances.

hey, there was a Tigers P who went 2-0 that year (!), and like Orosco it is a weird one.

Steve Avery was a good Braves SP in the early 1990s - 55-28 from them from 1991-94. he won a start for the Braves in 1995 as they won that lone World Series.

but Avery didn't pitch in the majors in 2000 or at all in 2001-02.

well, he came back to this Tigers team to pitch in relief 19 times from May til August. his last 10 appearances were all losses, and he finished off the mopup in 4 of those, though he only threw 16 total innings. that and his 5.63 ERA probably are what convinced Steve to hang 'em up for good.

weirder: in June 2003, Avery became the first Tigers P to get a pinch-hit since Joe Niekro in 1970.
              Last edited by Judge Jude; 02-25-2017, 03:37 PM.
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• The Padres pitching could well be historically bad, but their offense is young and very interesting, and there could be some real fantasy bargains on that roster. From top to bottom, there is sky-high potential (Renfroe, Margot), solid potential (Schimpf, Dickerson) with a bonafide stud (Myers). The only cipher is Sardinas and even he showed a little life and the end of last year and is a great $1 flier for 2017.

The best part is this: They did not sprinkle their offense with aging veterans to suck up ABs from the kids. Solarte is their oldest hitter and he's 29. No one is getting benched for some older retread... like Jered Weaver. This bodes well for us fantasy types. Invest in young Padre hitters and you stand a good chance to get tons of ABs and for them to have very long leashes.

I hope people keep bashing the Padres loudly, because there are some rich places for mining fantasy gold on that offense.

Comment

• Margot, Renfroe, Jankowski, Alex Dickerson. No way all 4 of them break through. I'd say the odds are against even 3/4 of them being playable, unless you count Jankowski or Margot hitting .230 but stealing a boatload of bags. So who are you buying and who are you selling?

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                    Margot, Renfroe, Jankowski, Alex Dickerson. No way all 4 of them break through. I'd say the odds are against even 3/4 of them being playable, unless you count Jankowski or Margot hitting .230 but stealing a boatload of bags. So who are you buying and who are you selling?
                    Without much ST to use to evaluate, I'm buying Renfroe first. They really need that power and he has nothing left to learn or prove in the minors. He pretty much is what he is. Then, I'm buying Dickerson. I don't think his upside is as high as the others, but he's actually demonstrated some real success with MLB pitching. I think he weasels his way into a full-season's ABs. Then, Margot, who I think has the highest upside of all, but I think he's a little further away from being a reliable source of stats. I'm guessing his second half will be much better than his first. Unless he's traded, I think Jankowski settles into a more traditional 4th OF/pinch runner role.

I'm wouldn't go full price on any of those guys, but if people are sleeping on them, you could maybe get them cheap and be pleasantly surprised.

In addition, with the exception of Hedges and Sardinas (who is likely nearly worthless, but DID show a little sumpinsumpin late in the season last year), that lineup is full of talent light on experience, and completely devoid of older players to suck away ABs. This group will be learning on the job and it won't always be pretty, I'm sure, but there is real upside here for fantasy players. Even with poor seasons across the board, Jankowski and Margot could get 20 SBs pretty easy. Renfroe, 20 HRs. Dickerson is probably least likely to have a poor season, but also least likely to set the world on fire, so he's got 10hrs in him.

Don't go crazy, but also don't ignore them.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                      Without much ST to use to evaluate, I'm buying Renfroe first. They really need that power and he has nothing left to learn or prove in the minors. He pretty much is what he is. Then, I'm buying Dickerson. I don't think his upside is as high as the others, but he's actually demonstrated some real success with MLB pitching. I think he weasels his way into a full-season's ABs. Then, Margot, who I think has the highest upside of all, but I think he's a little further away from being a reliable source of stats. I'm guessing his second half will be much better than his first. Unless he's traded, I think Jankowski settles into a more traditional 4th OF/pinch runner role.

I'm wouldn't go full price on any of those guys, but if people are sleeping on them, you could maybe get them cheap and be pleasantly surprised.

In addition, with the exception of Hedges and Sardinas (who is likely nearly worthless, but DID show a little sumpinsumpin late in the season last year), that lineup is full of talent light on experience, and completely devoid of older players to suck away ABs. This group will be learning on the job and it won't always be pretty, I'm sure, but there is real upside here for fantasy players. Even with poor seasons across the board, Jankowski and Margot could get 20 SBs pretty easy. Renfroe, 20 HRs. Dickerson is probably least likely to have a poor season, but also least likely to set the world on fire, so he's got 10hrs in him.

Don't go crazy, but also don't ignore them.
                      This makes sense, but rostering a Padre SP is probably worse than just having a blank spot this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                        This makes sense, but rostering a Padre SP is probably worse than just having a blank spot this year.
                        If you have spots on your roster for BP arms (that's BULLPEN and not batting practice, though it's an understandable mistake) The Padres should have 4-5 guys who'll help with K's, ratios and holds/saves.

Maurer, Capps, Hand and Butcher should all be Rosterable and maybe 1-2 more.
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• The bullpen isn't great, but it is certainly okay. No issue with those guys. As for holds/saves, well, that might depend on a little luck in the rotation, but they might snake some wins if the offense comes through.

Comment

If you have spots on your roster for BP arms (that's BULLPEN and not batting practice, though it's an understandable mistake) The Padres should have 4-5 guys who'll help with K's, ratios and holds/saves.

Maurer, Capps, Hand and Butcher should all be Rosterable and maybe 1-2 more.
                            I LOLd at the BP joke!

In a NL only league, I'm assuming Maurer and Butcher are the two most likely to be dealt. Good assumption?
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                              I LOLd at the BP joke!

In a NL only league, I'm assuming Maurer and Butcher are the two most likely to be dealt. Good assumption?
                              I don't think anyone is off limits come deadline. I believe they'd like Capps to close as soon as he shows he's healthy so there's that.

FWIW, Blash looks like he's playing his way onto the roster and seeing as how Margot and Dickerson are battling minor injuries, he might just get some PT out of the gate. Cahill looks like their most adept starter so far, might be the one guy to look at and Perdomo has been sharp this spring. Myers is playing well and looking to match his 28/28 feat of last year (actually he's said his goal is 40/40)

That's all for now except that the ss/2b races look like a disaster anyone here still got some skills and a glove? head to peoria because you knew know!
                              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                                The bullpen isn't great, but it is certainly okay. No issue with those guys. As for holds/saves, well, that might depend on a little luck in the rotation, but they might snake some wins if the offense comes through.
                                Well they're not an allstar pen, but Hand and Butcher we're excellent last year, 11+ K/9 plus solid ratios, Maurer just bit behind at 9+ K/9 and capps can join them if he's healthy in providing an above avg Pen and better than a rebuilding team should actually have.

Not pimping them as the Cubs or Royals, but they're better than you've asserted and the one's I've mentioned can definitely be rostered in competitive leagues.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X