2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Dane View Post
    Hm. Interesting take. Is Spangenburg really blocking Schimpf at this point? By the end of this season, Schimpf will have nearly twice as many MLB ABs and homeruns, a higher career OBP and a MUCH higher SLG. Spangenburg has more speed and a higher average, but seems to be the inferior player. Schimpf is 28, so there's always that, but Spangenburg is 25, so it's not like he's some spring chicken himself. If Schimpf ends up hitting 20+ HRs in less than half a season, can the Padres really afford to sit him? At what point will Spangenburg have been Schimpf'ed?
    Some people think that, I really don't. Schimpf has really come into his own this season and I can't see anyone starting over him at 2nd next season. Spang, if he can stay healthy, should settle into a super sub role as the Padres look to be committed to Solarte at 3rd., Wil at 1st and though it's unsettled, Sardinas should get the bulk at SS. I don;t see many upgrades at all in the off-season.

There's a great article about Schimpf on Fangraphs http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-p...ade-necessary/

Some interesting facts:

He leads MLB in ISO and is 4th in 2b OPS.

The guy doesn't hit singles. It's K's , Walks or Xbase hits.

he's at 19 HRs so 20 is probable at this point.

Back to Spang, I really think Sardinas will be given first shot at SS and Schimpf at 2b with Gurerra, Urias and Asuaje coming up and supplanting either rather than Spang.

It's not that Spang doesnt have talent, I just don't see it blossoming ín San Diego.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• And Preller has been suspended for 30 days without pay by MLB.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
        And Preller has been suspended for 30 days without pay by MLB.
        AJ Preller, cheatin' feller...

Seems the Pads kept 2 sets of medical books...one for DL type injuries, one for other situations, including Meds that the player might take. And the staff was told that the 2nd set was specifically so that the team had an advantage in trade situations. Apparently they "forgot" to disclose some oral medication that Pomeranz was taking when he was traded to the Red Sox.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
          AJ Preller, cheatin' feller...

Seems the Pads kept 2 sets of medical books...one for DL type injuries, one for other situations, including Meds that the player might take. And the staff was told that the 2nd set was specifically so that the team had an advantage in trade situations. Apparently they "forgot" to disclose some oral medication that Pomeranz was taking when he was traded to the Red Sox.
          This is true and unacceptable.

I do find it ironic that the team and GM that reports this just got punished for illegal player signings.

Still, Preller has to be on his third strike. I can't imagine MLB or the Padres will allow him to be anything but the most forthcoming executive in the game going forward.

If not, it's bye bye.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
            My single greatest weakness in fantasy baseball is my unreasonable love for the Three True Outcomes players. Schimpf sure seems to fit the mold so far. He's definitely looking like a keep for me at $2 in my 16 team 5x5 if he has a full time job next year.
            I seem to have the same weakness, but then, I play in mostly OBP leagues and so as long as they're getting ABs, it's not much of a weakness. I have $1 Schimpfs in all five of my leagues. He certainly doesn't need to do much in 2017 to surpass his cost.

Comment

There's a great article about Schimpf on Fangraphs http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-p...ade-necessary/
              I remember that article when it came out. I love how the writer repeats how there is now way he could keep it up.

He kept it up.

Comment

• So what exactly was the point about lying to the Red Sox about Pomeranz's medications? Or lying to the Marlins about Colin Rea's arm? I'm failing to see what was to be gained, except besmirching his reputation. There were legit markets for both deals.

I can't see how this helps the Padres in their rebuilding process.

Yeah it is apparently they changed trainers this past off season who implemented the new system. I also learned Preller has been suspended before for holding illegal workouts when he was with the Rangers and already fined (warned) for doing something similar with the Padres.
                As I'm sure you now know, the trainers were acting on Preller's orders (and according to the report, reluctantly) and were not loose cannons. According to Buster Olney's report, a typical team will file 60 or more medical entries by the AS Break into the central database, which is available for public consumption. The Padre trainers filed only 10 entries and withheld valuable information, in direct violation of MLB rules.

Frankly, after reading the report, I'm surprised Preller is still around. I'm not sure how he'll be able to trade with the four teams who filed grievances against him, let alone others who have/had suspicions. It's possible two of those trades, with the Marlins and White Sox, arguably derailed those teams' seasons.

Comment

• wow maybe the Renfroe hate will cease after the last few days.

Comment

• I have some downtime so why not get an early start on probably the most irrelevant team going into 2017.

The Padres have the 3rd pick in the upcoming amateur draft and look to pick even higher in 2018, they should be THAT bad.

In full rebuild mode they are planning to shed anyone of value and strive to compete in 2018, but more like 2019-2020

They will do all they can to carry all 3 Rule V guys--a tough chore, but they showed resolve last yearkeeping Perdomo on the roster all season and dealing for Blash.

So here goes: MY Speculation.

Catcher--Hedges will start, Bethancourt will play sparingly behind the plate and get work in the OF and the Bullpen (yes they are serious about trying to convert him) Torrens (Rule V) will be carried as the 3rd Ca.

1b Wil Myers

2b Should be Spangenberg as Schimpf will move to 3rd when Sloarte is dealt (he will be dealt) Asuaje might challenge with a hot spring, but I think it's too early for him, possibly a call up if there are injuries, but Spang should be the guy out of the gate.

SS Sardinas

3b Schimpf

the only IF backup I feel comfortable penciling in is Cordoba another rule V guy.

OF Dickerson, Margot, Renfroe. Blash to be the 4th guy.

I left out Jankowski because I think he'll be dealt, if he's not--Margot will probably start in AAA till after the super 2 date.

Things will change as Solarte and Jank are traded and we see who they get in return.

Bullpen should be solid again, but I see 3 potential trade candidates before opening day--Maurer, Hand and Butcher. One or all of them could go, but all three will not be in the SD pen to start the season.

Guys who will be:

Diaz (the final rule V guy)
                    Baumann
                    Capps (when healthy)

Possibly Quack and Hessler, but the Padres have a ton of guys coming back from last years DL and neither Kevin nor Hessler were very good lats season.

Starting rotation (the worst ever assembled)

Friedrich
                    Perdomo
                    Cosart
                    Clemens
                    Vargas

That what we're looking at right now though there is talk of re-signing Jackson or Richards and possibly giving Peavy a small contract just for shits and giggles. I've also heard they might surprise and grab a FA or two who's looking for a gig closer to ST with the idea of building value and flipping them at the deadline (that goes for position players too)

So as you can see, the Padres will be the team you'll spend the least on players come draft day

I'll get more as I hear it, but for now--this is the best i can do.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• that's amazing
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• I remember the days of sneakily buying Padre starters cheap to get plus ERA & WHIP. Those days are loooooong gone.

Comment

• So after signing Chacin and Richards the rotation looks like:

Shit...

Chacin
                          Richards
                          Friedrich
                          Perdomo
                          Cosart

(but wait! They are probably going to Sign Peavy so it'll be even worserer)

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

So after signing Chacin and Richards the rotation looks like:

Shit...

Chacin
                            Richards
                            Friedrich
                            Perdomo
                            Cosart

(but wait! They are probably going to Sign Peavy so it'll be even worserer)
                            That's just brutal. I'd be hard-pressed to find many teams who would start any of those five on an ongoing basis.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                              That's just brutal. I'd be hard-pressed to find many teams who would start any of those five on an ongoing basis.
                              Oh, the Twins wanted to sign Richards... :sob:
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                                Perdomo has a hint of upside. I could see him being some team's #5 to start the season and give him a shot. But other than that, yeah, brutal.

Comment

Working...
                                X