2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Hey GwynnInTheHall, what do you think are the chances of Pomeranz getting saves this year? Do you think he is the most likely guy to take over if Rodney gets hurt/sucks/gets traded?
    I took him in a trade for $1 just for speculative purposes, but with that BP, there are several guys who could get the chance. Vincent, Quack, Janssen, Villanueva, Thornton and Drew have all help the closer spot at one time or another. I also don;t know Green's tendencies the way I did Blacks, so--I can't honestly answer this one without a lot of speculation and I don;t think that's what you're looking for.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• great stuff, GITH, much appreciated
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• What are the odds Melvin gets 400 ABs this year? He was actually not bad last year. But the Padres don't seem to have a ton of incentive to play him every day, with the need to evaluate Blash and Jankowski.

Comment

• GITH what is your take with Meyers? He could be undervalued because of his wrist.

Comment

• Originally posted by pitbull View Post
            GITH what is your take with Meyers? He could be undervalued because of his wrist.
            I have Myers for $16 in my NL-only 12-team keeper league, and I was hoping to throw him back and get him for around the same price. But it seems like Myers is on every damn "sleeper" list I read, to the point that I'm guessing he's not a sleeper at all and becomes OVERvalued. I've seen NL-only drafts where he's gone for $20+ which backs up my suspicion that he's no longer going to be undervalued.

Comment

• Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
              I have Myers for $16 in my NL-only 12-team keeper league, and I was hoping to throw him back and get him for around the same price. But it seems like Myers is on every damn "sleeper" list I read, to the point that I'm guessing he's not a sleeper at all and becomes OVERvalued. I've seen NL-only drafts where he's gone for $20+ which backs up my suspicion that he's no longer going to be undervalued.
              What kind of realistic chance does he have to make a profit at $20? He is $20 in our NL only league and the owner can not find a taker for him. I might take a chance depending on how the auction flows, but I sure wouldn't keep him at $16 or $20 bucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                What kind of realistic chance does he have to make a profit at $20? He is $20 in our NL only league and the owner can not find a taker for him. I might take a chance depending on how the auction flows, but I sure wouldn't keep him at $16 or $20 bucks.
                I agree. I think he has a CHANCE to earn $20+ in a keeper league, but it's a big risk. I do think $16 is a more reasonable risk. I tend to like taking chances on guys coming off injuries only because I figure EVENTUALLY he has to have another healthy season in him, so why not this year? He definitely has a world of talent. If reasonably healthy (that's the big "if"), I think he has a good shot at 20HR-10SB. That's worth more than $16 in an NL-only keeper league. He's also a good post-hype sleeper because I think people forget just how much natural talent this guy has. When he came into the league he had 30HR potential. The problem is while 75% of every league might scoff at the notion of bidding to or beyond $20, I think every league is likely to have 2 guys who are jumping on the post-hype-sleeper bandwagon with this guy, and it only takes 2 to blow-up any "sleeper appeal."

Comment

• Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                  I agree. I think he has a CHANCE to earn $20+ in a keeper league, but it's a big risk. I do think $16 is a more reasonable risk. I tend to like taking chances on guys coming off injuries only because I figure EVENTUALLY he has to have another healthy season in him, so why not this year? He definitely has a world of talent. If reasonably healthy (that's the big "if"), I think he has a good shot at 20HR-10SB. That's worth more than $16 in an NL-only keeper league. He's also a good post-hype sleeper because I think people forget just how much natural talent this guy has. When he came into the league he had 30HR potential. The problem is while 75% of every league might scoff at the notion of bidding to or beyond $20, I think every league is likely to have 2 guys who are jumping on the post-hype-sleeper bandwagon with this guy, and it only takes 2 to blow-up any "sleeper appeal."
                  Some good points. You didn't mention BA and that could be an issue.

This is a game where we pick our spots to gamble on. I like him at $16 with a new contract much more than $16 with an old one. There is even a chance I get him a few bucks less if the auction aligns in my favor. I highly doubt I will have to pay more than $20 or $21 if our owner throws him back. I only post this number in the event that the owner is thinking like me and is willing to go to $20 for the new contract. I am thinking $16 will be the high bid in our league.

Comment

• Myers comes with the usual injury Caveat however he has a secured position on the field, no more moving around so that might help. He's also the clean up hitter in SD and should remain there until he proves he can't handle it. I know the guy in our mixed league is keeping him at 15 and projections have him between there and 22. It's simple to me, what are 20 Hrs, 10 Sbs, 65 rbi and runs plus a 270 Avg worth to you? that's what you should easily get. Only injury would stop that from happening. He could also easily exceed that.

Upton should get at least 400 ABs, I know Blash is sexy right now, but the Padres, just want him to make the roster and provide some pop. Jank is easily sent down as the Padres have a lot more speed on the team this season and that's really Janks only asset outside of Defense and with Jay/Upton they have that covered.

Don't sleep on J weeks either, I know some publications have Corey starting, just Jemile has been killing it and plays better D than Spang. he could be a great cheap source of SBs and has always hit for good avg.

With better Defense all around I'd go an extra dollar or so on Padre arms as the HR bugaboo from last year simply can't continue in Petco.
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                      While that may be true, all of those counting stats would be career highs for Wil Myers by a pretty fair margin. But I agree that he's clearly capable of numbers like that. However, ignoring the injury risk with Myers is not a smart play, given his spotty history and the fact that wrist injuries often really stick with players for a long time. No way am I buying that guy for anywhere near $20. At a price like that he absolutely has to stay healthy and produce and I'm not that confident in either one of those things.

He's a fantastic end-game guy, sleeper play, or guy to gamble on if you can get him on the cheap. As noted, however, I don't think you can get him on the cheap in many deep leagues. Still, wouldn't surprise me to see him break out this year (and apparently it wouldn't surprise a lot of people) --- he's very talented but just can't seem to put it together production or health-wise.
                      Yeah I had a chance to get him at 15, still too risky for me.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• I was offered Meyers at $15 I a 10 team league and turned him down. The owner didn't protect him so he is available. I might go to $15 but not getting into a bidding war.

Comment

• Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                          I was offered Meyers at $15 I a 10 team league and turned him down. The owner didn't protect him so he is available. I might go to $15 but not getting into a bidding war.
                          It is one thing to buy a $15 player at auction, quite another to trade for the privilege of doing so.

It seems that many players fell for the "sleeper" last year as evidenced by 15-20 prices going into his second year. If I had him for $20 I would be throwing him back in after my failed attempts at trading him. He is just not good keeper value at 15-20.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                            With better Defense all around I'd go an extra dollar or so on Padre arms as the HR bugaboo from last year simply can't continue in Petco.
                            Are you sure? This is one of the things that I really wonder about this year. With all the construction going on down there, and given that the outfield itself isn't actually all that big, last year could easily be the new norm. It was always kind of a small park where the marine layer kept the ball in the yard.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                              Are you sure? This is one of the things that I really wonder about this year. With all the construction going on down there, and given that the outfield itself isn't actually all that big, last year could easily be the new norm. It was always kind of a small park where the marine layer kept the ball in the yard.
                              The construction has actually closed off the open areas in the outfield. There is also a huge high rise going up just east of the park. Combine that with El Nino wreaking havoc this summer and I think it's safe to say petco will play closer to 2014 than last season

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                                It seems that many players fell for the "sleeper" last year as evidenced by 15-20 prices going into his second year. If I had him for $20 I would be throwing him back in after my failed attempts at trading him. He is just not good keeper value at 15-20.
                                That's a great observation, and one that is perplexing to me. Everyone in the room giggled when I got Myers for $16 last year (except the guy who bid $15). And really, their mocking of me bidding $16 was validated because he was hurt - again - and didn't earn nearly $16. Fast forward one year, and despite having ANOTHER down year due to injuries, now he's all the rage on sleeper lists. Honestly, although I'm tempted by the talent, why he is such a hot topic this year but wasn't as much last year doesn't make much sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X