2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    He said he’d had a skin rash since June and took medication he got from the DR but stated he should have cleared it with the Padres medical team before using it

He’d tested negative inMarch. Then positive end of July.

He basically said he made and had made poor choices throughout this including the motorcycle accident

So no he didn’t recant the ringworm stuff

I guess we’ll see if he’s the same talent next season and if he is he’ll get the benefit of the doubt if not he’ll be branded a cheater the rest of his career
    Somehow David Ortiz made the HOF, and Nellie Cruz is beloved wherever he plays. So if Tatis keeps his nose clean and plays hard, he'll be fine for the next 15 years. My opinion of course...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      Somehow David Ortiz made the HOF, and Nellie Cruz is beloved wherever he plays. So if Tatis keeps his nose clean and plays hard, he'll be fine for the next 15 years. My opinion of course...
      That's kind of the prevailing sentiment. If he uses this as a lesson to get it together and put up numbers like he did or even close to what he did, he should rebound just fine.

If not, well then we've seen other athletes throw away talent and careers for stupid shit.

I watched all of his presser, he seemed pretty sincere in his remorse.

I wish him all the best.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I watched all of his presser, he seemed pretty sincere in his remorse.
        I think he's definitely remorseful that he got caught.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
          As someone who has a cat currently struggling with the insidious ringworm disease, I find it appalling that you have no sympathy for Fernando's ringworm predicament. He did not take steroids for any reason other than to clear up the scourge that is ringworm. Your skepticism is disheartening.

Comment

He also was asked about those who might forever doubt his veracity or use the incident (s) to throw him shade

He answered those questions admirably as well
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

He also was asked about those who might forever doubt his veracity or use the incident (s) to throw him shade

He answered those questions admirably as well
              He's definitely good at PR, I'm not sure how that absolves him any more than the many others who have been caught and claimed it was an accident (almost all of them).

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                As someone who has a cat currently struggling with the insidious ringworm disease, I find it appalling that you have no sympathy for Fernando's ringworm predicament. He did not take steroids for any reason other than to clear up the scourge that is ringworm. Your skepticism is disheartening.
                Umjewcat is roiding up for Kitten Bowl?
                ---------------------------------------------
                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                ---------------------------------------------
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

He's definitely good at PR, I'm not sure how that absolves him any more than the many others who have been caught and claimed it was an accident (almost all of them).
                  Not saying that this is the case but is everyone who tests positive for peds automatically considered guilty of knowingly cheating or is there room for an actual accidental use of the substance?

I’d also argue that tatis’s PR is far from good as he’s pretty much mishandled every issue he’s had in his short career

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Heh. I haven’t said I believed him I said I would give him enough benefit of the doubt and allow him to prove himself

I also believe there’s a difference between skepticism and declaration.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                      Umjewcat is roiding up for Kitten Bowl?
                      Kids talked us into getting two kittens three weeks ago. Definitely will submit them to appear in the Kitten Bowl, if eligible.

Comment

Heh. I haven’t said I believed him I said I would give him enough benefit of the doubt and allow him to prove himself

I also believe there’s a difference between skepticism and declaration.
                        At this point, I just assume they're all juicing in some form or another. I own Tatis and hope he comes back like a madman next year.

Comment

At this point, I just assume they're all juicing in some form or another. I own Tatis and hope he comes back like a madman next year.
                          Maybe you can educate me a bit regarding steroids. I don't see how you can test negative several times, then get a positive test if you were ALWAYS juicing. I heard on a recent broadcast that there have been incidents where positive tests were indeed caused by unapproved supplements NOT intended for the same things PEDs are used for. I can't remember the player (Players) who's suspension was overturned, but again, I'd heard there was precedent (can't seem to find it on the web). I have read that there are those who've tested positive who swear up and down they weren't roiding. I might just be a bit naïve when it comes to these things, but one of my best friends did roids back in the 80s and I've seen the results (good and bad) and though I imagine the PED game has gotten much more advanced, I'd think (though maybe incorrectly) there'd be a way to discern who was actually testing positive because of the intent to enhance performance and those who inadvertently used something with banned chemicals in it.

To Tatis. I've stated before this whole thing--the kid has top grow up and take his career seriously. I'm sure he gave NO thought to using whatever it was he took for whatever reason and to that end he's completely responsible for what has occurred whether or not there was intent to cheat. I watched countless interviews given by Tatis, this one was different. And those the remorse he showed could indeed be as Ken asserted, because he got caught, it seemed to be more than that-it was an acknowledgement that he has, for a while, been listening to the wrong people and making the wrong choices and that in the end--it was all on him.

I've said in the past and believe it now, that I read people pretty well--I know bad acting when I see it--this was genuine. I'm skeptical, but willing to give him a chance to prove me wrong. probably because I'm a Padres fan, but also because the kid brings so much to the game itself.

In any case, I'm a wait and see guy when it comes to Tatis in a fantasy aspect and though I'd buy low, it's have to be a pretty serious discount to give up anything close to his old value for him.

GL to your Cats, Nullie would be proud.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Not saying that this is the case but is everyone who tests positive for peds automatically considered guilty of knowingly cheating or is there room for an actual accidental use of the substance?
                            I don't know, but if you believe Tatis and others who have used similar excuses, you likely also believe that household pets have a propensity to consume homework at just the wrong time too! Is it plausible, sure... but likely? No.

Consider how his own teammates have come out and called him immature. They don't do that if he was just treating ringworms, they'd instead be much more sympathetic.

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                            I’d also argue that tatis’s PR is far from good as he’s pretty much mishandled every issue he’s had in his short career
                            I don't know that he's smart, but he's definitely slick. Those are two vastly different traits.

Comment

Maybe you can educate me a bit regarding steroids.
                              That seems unlikely, largely because I don't really know what I'm talking about (as with most topics). I'm not sure about the negative tests - between masking agents or just false negatives, I suppose it's possible that he could test negative a bunch of times before testing positive. Maybe it's like COVID testing. My wife tested negative about 15 times before finally testing positive and then the PCR came back positive. Or maybe Tatis was getting antsy and started juicing in like May to get back quicker and then got busted.

Either way, Tatis is incredibly fun to watch so I hope the ringworm story was completely accurate and he can stay on the straight and narrow.

Comment

I don't know, but if you believe Tatis and others who have used similar excuses, you likely also believe that household pets have a propensity to consume homework at just the wrong time too! Is it plausible, sure... but likely? No.

Consider how his own teammates have come out and called him immature. They don't do that if he was just treating ringworms, they'd instead be much more sympathetic.

I don't know that he's smart, but he's definitely slick. Those are two vastly different traits.
                                I disagree, he's not slick at all. he's affable, but he's really not that smart, IMO, to be convincingly deceptive. You obviously see it different.

His teammates have called him immature as I have I, no one's called him a liar.

You've made your call (judgment) as you do. I see things differently (as you know).

In any case, I wish him the best and hope he returns to form.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X