Jeff Samardzija Back to Chicago!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
    To clarify, the Yanks will get what was formerly referred to as a "sandwich" pick, between the 1st and 2nd round.
    You're not clarifying for me, you're clarifying for everyone else apparently. I thought this was well understood by now. It's been this way a couple years. Signing team has no impact on the pick a player's former team gets.
    Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      To clarify, the Yanks will get what was formerly referred to as a "sandwich" pick, between the 1st and 2nd round.
      That's my understanding. They would have received that pick regardless of where Roberston signed. The only thing that changes is the team with the protected pick loses a second rounder instead of a first. That pick just goes away, the Yanks don't receive the pick, it's just skipped.
      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
        The Yanks do not get Chicago's pick. They get the same pick regardless who signed Robertson.
        I didn't say that.

Robertson signed with a protected pick team, so the Yankees missed out on a snadwich pick that would have been at the end of the first round. Instead, they now get the 45th pick of the draft, which Chicago has to give them. They lose roughly 15 spots in the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
          I didn't say that.

Robertson signed with a protected pick team, so the Yankees missed out on a snadwich pick that would have been at the end of the first round. Instead, they now get the 45th pick of the draft, which Chicago has to give them. They lose roughly 15 spots in the draft.
          Wrong
          Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
            Wrong
            via mlbtr

Robertson rejected the Yankees’ qualifying offer, so New York will get an extra pick at the end of the first round of next year’s draft as compensation. The White Sox’ top pick, No. 8 overall, is protected, but they’ll sacrifice their second-round pick, No. 45 overall, once the Robertson signing becomes official.

Comment

I think TC's statement lines up with the AP - I can't link on my phone, but the AP article states "The Yankees receive an extra pick between the first and second rounds."
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Yea, I get where I've tangled it in my head. I thought that the change was that instead of getting the draft slot of a non-protected team, you just got the sandwich pick. If your guy signed with a protected team, you got their highest-remaining pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                  Yea, I get where I've tangled it in my head. I thought that the change was that instead of getting the draft slot of a non-protected team, you just got the sandwich pick. If your guy signed with a protected team, you got their highest-remaining pick.
                  No teams exchange any picks anymore, under any circumstances, as a result of signing free agents. No team ever gets any other team's pick, other than every team moving up a spot when a team forfeits a pick.

Comment

Now that Jason's brain is working again let's talk about the trade. Here is the full trade:

White Sox acquired RHP Jeff Samardzija and RHP Michael Ynoa from the Athletics for INF Marcus Semien, RHP Chris Bassitt, 1B Rangel Ravelo, and C Josh Phegley.

I don't know anything about Ravelo but it certainly seems like a light return for Samardzija.
                    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

How many catchers do the A's really need?

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                        Now that Jason's brain is working again let's talk about the trade. Here is the full trade:

White Sox acquired RHP Jeff Samardzija and RHP Michael Ynoa from the Athletics for INF Marcus Semien, RHP Chris Bassitt, 1B Rangel Ravelo, and C Josh Phegley.

I don't know anything about Ravelo but it certainly seems like a light return for Samardzija.
                        Man, once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away Ynoa was a can't miss phenom...IIRC.

And TC, it simply said "to clarify", that meant for everyone...don't get all defensive because your team isn't making a big splash. Look on the bright side, you still have at least 3 more years of A-Rod...
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

The As haul in this deal is a whole lot better than their previous two, IMO. Semien's a decent SS with some hitting upside, and Ravelo has some upside and started to see a power bump this year. They'd only get one more year out of Samardzija and Ynoa was lost in their system.
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                          X