Jeff Samardzija Back to Chicago!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Samardzija Back to Chicago!

To the White Sox! Major players so far at the winter meetings...they give up Marcus Semien and Chris Bassitt. Nice move!
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

I really don't get anything the As are doing this offseason. Dismantling their team and not getting much in return.

Comment

Comment

Does this mean the White Sox have Micah Johnson as their 2B?
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

You would think Samardzija would bring a better return than Shane Greene did. That 3rd player better be damn good.
          Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
            You would think Samardzija would bring a better return than Shane Greene did. That 3rd player better be damn good.
            He did

He returned 17 years of team control for a guy with one year left & no guarantee of a high pick returned.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
              He did

He returned 17 years of team control for a guy with one year left & no guarantee of a high pick returned.
              Years of control on replacement level players is not all that valuable. Marcus Semien is not a difference maker, he's an interchangeable piece.
              Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                Yeah, this return was far better than that for Greene but was still pretty underwhelming overall.

Add me to the list of people that cannot figure out wtf the Athletics are doing this offseason. Why trade for both Semien AND Wendle?
                So you think the Yanks would trade Gregorius for Semien and Bassit?

Comment

Years of control on replacement level players is not all that valuable. Marcus Semien is not a difference maker, he's an interchangeable piece.
                  Says the fan of the huge market club

Years of control are HUGE for Oakland. Beane gambled and lost last year with trading Russell to get the pitchers. It blew up in his face and now he needed new talent that could play up the middle now. Semien isn't a regular on a contending club, but he could play daily on a second-division club like Oakland.

This is what happens in the new structure when you have a guy entering the final year of team control. See David Robertson - who signed somewhere with a protected pick so the Yankees get less compensation in return for letting their guy walk. Take what you can now or risk having nothing to show for it later.

Comment

Says the fan of the huge market club

Years of control are HUGE for Oakland. Beane gambled and lost last year with trading Russell to get the pitchers. It blew up in his face and now he needed new talent that could play up the middle now. Semien isn't a regular on a contending club, but he could play daily on a second-division club like Oakland.

This is what happens in the new structure when you have a guy entering the final year of team control. See David Robertson - who signed somewhere with a protected pick so the Yankees get less compensation in return for letting their guy walk. Take what you can now or risk having nothing to show for it later.
                    The protected pick in no way impacts the Yanks compensation.

Comment

The protected pick in no way impacts the Yanks compensation.
                      The Yankees would have picked up a pick at the end of the 1st round if DR signed elsewhere. Chicago only had to give up their 2nd round pick (#45) to do this.

That's the risk for the A's - keep Samardzija, let him reject a QO, and then have him sign somewhere with a protected pick & get a low pick out of it, or take 3 guys now, one of which is MLB ready.

Comment

The Yankees would have picked up a pick at the end of the 1st round if DR signed elsewhere. Chicago only had to give up their 2nd round pick (#45) to do this.

That's the risk for the A's - keep Samardzija, let him reject a QO, and then have him sign somewhere with a protected pick & get a low pick out of it, or take 3 guys now, one of which is MLB ready.
                        The Yanks do not get Chicago's pick. They get the same pick regardless who signed Robertson.

Comment

The Yanks do not get Chicago's pick. They get the same pick regardless who signed Robertson.
                          I am not understanding what you mean by this? Why wouldn't they get Chicago's pick (or who ever signed him)?

Comment

Isn't that the old system?

I most certainly can be wrong but I thought under the new system, if the team signing the free agent does not have a protected (top 10) pick, their pick goes to the team losing the free agent.

Calling kevin seitzer (or anyone who knows for sure)....HELP clear this up !!

Comment

To clarify, the Yanks will get what was formerly referred to as a "sandwich" pick, between the 1st and 2nd round.
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                              X