Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscar Taveras - RIP

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 4m4 minutes ago

Can now confirm: Oscar Taveras, 22, has died in a car accident in the Dominican Republic. Just awful.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

oh wow, what a tragedy for a young man that was very close to coming into his own. I opened this expecting to hear of an injury or getting arrested...this sucks.

Last edited by fuhrdog; 10-26-2014, 07:46 PM. Reason: to add link

Comment

Same sick feeling in my gut I had when learning about Brian Cole's similar fate. Ugh

Comment

someone can adjust title if appropriate

no idea what an appropriate title for something like this is

I guess for now it braces someone to be able to slightly try to defend against this punch in the gut. but nothing will work.

UPDATE: Apparently his 18-yr-old girlfriend died in the wreck, too.
        Last edited by Judge Jude; 10-26-2014, 08:27 PM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

This sucks. He's too young.
          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Terrible news. My thoughts go out to his family and the Cardinals.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Terrible news. RIP Oscar Taveras.

The Dominican Republic has the highest rate of traffic related deaths in the world according to the link below.

http://theguardian.com/global-develo...oad-safety-law
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                Same sick feeling in my gut I had when learning about Brian Cole's similar fate. Ugh

Nick Adenhardt as well........too sad
                Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                  Terrible news. RIP Oscar Taveras.

The Dominican Republic has the highest rate of traffic related deaths in the world according to the link below.

http://theguardian.com/global-develo...oad-safety-law
                  Yes, terrible news. Brings to mind all of the ballplayers who died during their careers, like Adenhart, Dernell Stenson, Darryl Kile, Lyman Bostock, Roberto Clemente and many others. RIP Oscar.

I've driven in the DR and while it was expectedly hectic, it didnt seem any more dangerous than other third-world countries, such as Mexico. I had no idea it was the most dangerous. But I did see signs admonishing people to not run red lights.

Comment

It reminded me of Steve Olin. I remember the free-for-all for Cleveland bullpen arms at the next auction.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Here's a picture of the wrecked Camaro that Taveras was reportedly "driving very very fast" on a wet road before it struck a tree.

1027-oscar-taveras-car-accident-5.jpg

tmz.com/2014/10/27/oscar-taveras-dead-car-crash-speeding/?utm_source=TMZ
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

bought a pack of the just-released Topps Update series tonight and got this card

it's of Oscar's debut, and well, might be a very nice though so bittersweet memento for a Cardinals fan. who could have imagined how appropriate this photo selection would be.....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

bought a pack of the just-released Topps Update series tonight and got this card

it's of Oscar's debut, and well, might be a very nice though so bittersweet memento for a Cardinals fan. who could have imagined how appropriate this photo selection would be.....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

A spokeswoman for the Dominican Republic's Attorney General's Office, Tessie Sanchez, said Oscar Taveras was "legally intoxicated when he crashed."
                            Sanchez revealed that a toxicology report showed Taveras' blood-alcohol level was five times the legal limit. Taveras and his girlfriend, 18-year-old Edilia Arvelo, were killed in a car crash on October 26 in his native Dominican Republic. Taveras was 22 years old.
                            Source: USA TodayNov 12 - 7:22 PM

Comment

You hate to assume such a thing when you hear about a crash like this, I'm sad to hear it was true.

Comment

Working...
                              X