Closer Watch: 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
    Clippard will make a great WW pickup if it becomes clear he wont close. He gives IP, Ks, ERA, WHIP. Get two more and they cover an ace SP.

BTW, has anyone done any MR analysis this year? I posted some threads from the old site, but that is all I have seen.

J
    People are still surfing the old site?

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
      People are still surfing the old site?
      Think of it as a perishable archive.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Clippard will make a great WW pickup if it becomes clear he wont close. He gives IP, Ks, ERA, WHIP. Get two more and they cover an ace SP.

BTW, has anyone done any MR analysis this year? I posted some threads from the old site, but that is all I have seen.

J
        In a full-size NL league, Clippard won't make it to the waiver wire, at least one owner will try to catch the lightning in a bottle that was those wins last year.

Coffey has always impressed me, but when the closer role finally opened up in MIL last year, he was having an off year. His line this spring looked good, until the other day.

Comment

from Rotoworld:

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen told Peter Gammons that Matt Thornton has "first dibs" on the ninth inning gig.
          Big news. The White Sox had been running a competition this spring between Thornton and youngster Chris Sale. And it appears that we now have our winner. Thornton, 34, has averaged a 2.70 ERA and 11.0 K/9 over the last three seasons as a setup man and should do very well in save situations now that the responsibility is his. Sale will be there to handle the gig should Thornton falter.
          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Via Tweet from Nightengale: It would be huge upset if Neftali Feliz is put in the Rangers starting rotation instead of being their closer. Next year, he'll start.

Rosenthal agrees.

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
              Via Tweet from Nightengale: It would be huge upset if Neftali Feliz is put in the Rangers starting rotation instead of being their closer. Next year, he'll start.

Rosenthal agrees.
              I was watching the Rangers exhibition game last night on MLB Network and they were interviewing Nolan Ryan and in so many words he said that Feliz should be the closer.

Comment

Did anyone see this news on BHQ?

"Phillies closer Brad Lidge has been diagnosed with a sore right biceps tendon, and general manager Ruben Amaro said that either (no surprise) Ryan Madson (RHP, PHI) or (mild surprise) Jose Contreras (RHP, PHI) could close if Lidge is not ready for the start of the season. Amaro reasoned that it might make more sense to leave what he called the best setup man in baseball (Madson) in his role as long as someone else was capable of closing."

Thoughts from Junkies?

I picked up Contreras in the PONY reserve draft this morning just in case....but I was wondering how real this is?

Comment

Madson has had closing opps in the past and has never been that solid with them. I traded him straight up for Jason Hammel earlier this week who I am very high on.

Comment

Jason is correct. Madson seems to be one of those guys who's just better in the 8th than the 9th. When he's been forced into the role because of problems with Lidge, he has not done well. Contreras has turned into an excellent reliever, but he's only effective in one-inning stints, which is how modern closers are used.

I would not be surprised to see Madson get the first shot if Lidge is not ready because Manuel is big on seniority/loyalty, but if he struggles, they would switch quickly to Contreras. Whereas in previous years, if Lidge wasn't available, Madson was the only other guy he'd use in the 9th.
                    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                      Jason is correct. Madson seems to be one of those guys who's just better in the 8th than the 9th. When he's been forced into the role because of problems with Lidge, he has not done well. Contreras has turned into an excellent reliever, but he's only effective in one-inning stints, which is how modern closers are used.

I would not be surprised to see Madson get the first shot if Lidge is not ready because Manuel is big on seniority/loyalty, but if he struggles, they would switch quickly to Contreras. Whereas in previous years, if Lidge wasn't available, Madson was the only other guy he'd use in the 9th.
                      I am more of a numbers guy. I do not know much about Madson the man.

Does Madson want to close? Would he be offended if he didn't? Is it possible he would rather not close?

Comment

He can be a pretty emotional guy. Last year he broke his toe kicking a folding chair after blowing a lead to the Giants. I believe he pitched in the 9th that day because Lidge was unavailable. It's possible he gets TOO worked up when he pitches in the 9th.
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Gregg, arent you closing for the Orioles this year?

Does anyone have any indication about Tampa Bay yet?

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Does anyone have any indication about Tampa Bay yet?

J
                            Two days ago, on this very thread: http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/showt...ll=1#post10854

Comment

Gregg, arent you closing for the Orioles this year?

J
                              I would be offended if I wasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
                                Did anyone see this news on BHQ?

"Phillies closer Brad Lidge has been diagnosed with a sore right biceps tendon, and general manager Ruben Amaro said that either (no surprise) Ryan Madson (RHP, PHI) or (mild surprise) Jose Contreras (RHP, PHI) could close if Lidge is not ready for the start of the season. Amaro reasoned that it might make more sense to leave what he called the best setup man in baseball (Madson) in his role as long as someone else was capable of closing."

Thoughts from Junkies?

I picked up Contreras in the PONY reserve draft this morning just in case....but I was wondering how real this is?
                                I read that on BHQ last night Gris, and thought of you right away. lol. The only thing I don't like about Contreras is that he is 39 and way too spotty of a pitcher for my tastes. But, its good insurance, Gris.

minnehan

Comment

Working...
                                X