Kyle Schwarber Meltdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyle Schwarber Meltdown

I'm sure everyone has seen it, but Schwarber's meltdown and ejection last night deserves to be commemorated.

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    I'm sure everyone has seen it, but Schwarber's meltdown and ejection last night deserves to be commemorated.

Umps have been shit calling balks and strikes this season. I have no idea why they didn't implement the robo umps this season. Players train to know and adhere to the true strike zone, most of the looks they've been giving umps is because they're right and the ump is wrong. Each ump should be graded and held accountable for bad performance during the season, but they aren't. They'll eject, suspend a player for his reaction to an Umps mistakes, why can't they suspend Umps for creating the situation in the first place?

Kudos to Kyle, Angel was shit yesterday.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
      Umps have been shit calling balks and strikes this season. I have no idea why they didn't implement the robo umps this season. Players train to know and adhere to the true strike zone, most of the looks they've been giving umps is because they're right and the ump is wrong. Each ump should be graded and held accountable for bad performance during the season, but they aren't. They'll eject, suspend a player for his reaction to an Umps mistakes, why can't they suspend Umps for creating the situation in the first place?

Kudos to Kyle, Angel was shit yesterday.
      Angel was Angel...yesterday has nothing to do with it. How he still has a job is unbelievable.

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
        Angel was Angel...yesterday has nothing to do with it. How he still has a job is unbelievable.
        77% accuracy is astoundigly bad, even for him:

Comment

Let me float a theory: Since MLB and the MLBPA have basically no recourse reagrding Angel, they purposely put him behind the plate for big nationally televised games to artificially create a huge demand for robo umps.

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
            Yeah, it's not just Angel, it's a lot of these guys. Apparently there are 15 umps even worse than Angel this year.

I can even understand missing a ball outside the zone and calling it a strike, but calling strikes well within the zone balls? That should never happen.

You'd think with all the kill box tech use din video games they could develop a floating display to install in home plate Ump Masks that could not only determine Balls/strikes, but that each ump could see a running tally of their calls and that info sent directly to the league and used in ranking/determining if a guy keeps his job or not.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
              Let me float a theory: Since MLB and the MLBPA have basically no recourse reagrding Angel, they purposely put him behind the plate for big nationally televised games to artificially create a huge demand for robo umps.
              This is absolutely spot-on. Great take. Create media hype about the problem so MLB is forced to act.

Jomboy's breakdown is fun.

Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                Yeah, it's not just Angel, it's a lot of these guys. Apparently there are 15 umps even worse than Angel this year.

I can even understand missing a ball outside the zone and calling it a strike, but calling strikes well within the zone balls? That should never happen.

You'd think with all the kill box tech use din video games they could develop a floating display to install in home plate Ump Masks that could not only determine Balls/strikes, but that each ump could see a running tally of their calls and that info sent directly to the league and used in ranking/determining if a guy keeps his job or not.
                This idea is crazy. Why install so much technology only to support the flawed system of relying on humans to call balls and strikes?

Why go through the whole process of determing which umps are accurate or less accurate when we already know the ball/strike calls without any human intervention? Umps should just be relaying the ball/strike called by the pitch tracking tech. This would make baseball, by leaps and bounds, the fairest of the 4 big sports leagues, in terms of how games are decided. NFL, NHL, & NBA are all tainted by bad ref involvement, too much personal discretion on calling penalties that decide games.
                Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

The play challenge process hasn't been bad this year, why not expand it to include balls & strikes?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                    The play challenge process hasn't been bad this year, why not expand it to include balls & strikes?
                    There would be way too many (successful) challenges bringing the game to a standstill.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
                      There would be way too many (successful) challenges bringing the game to a standstill.
                      Unless you added the rule that if you are the batter and wrong the side is immediately retired. If the batter is right he takes his base no matter the count. That would speed up the game.

Comment

I think teenwolf is right here...the technology exists to call balls and strikes more accurately without a human umpire. So why have one ?
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                          Unless you added the rule that if you are the batter and wrong the side is immediately retired. If the batter is right he takes his base no matter the count. That would speed up the game.
                          That ... doesnt work at all. I'm sure you meant it tongue in cheek. Otherwise you are punishing the pitcher for the ump making a bad call on the first pitch which is ... beyond terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                            I think teenwolf is right here...the technology exists to call balls and strikes more accurately without a human umpire. So why have one ?
                            to watch as he takes the occasional foul tip?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

How odd is it going to be when the umps are fully automated? No one on the field to make the calls - close call, everyone looks up towards the sky and a booming voice announces "YOU'RE OUT, PLEASE EXIT THE PLAYING FIELD"

Comment

Working...
                              X