The new COVID thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
    Well, this Christmas sure has sucked. My wife tested positive for Covid yesterday. We had to cancel my daughter's Xmas visit and postpone until May. We live in a 1 bedroom apartment and sleeping on the couch has been rough. Not sure if I contracted a very mild case or not, as I've had a bit of a sore throat but no coughing. I tested negative on the rapid test, but so did my wife, then positive 2 days later. My wife is feeling very rough now, today will be day 4 of symptoms for her. We are double vaxed, but aren't eligible for boosters until January. Ugh.
    Sorry to hear that. Hope you both get well soon.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Reading on my favorite UCF message board how many are popping positive tests yesterday and today after attending the sold out bowl game on the 23rd. I chose not to go because of Florida's lax rules, and glad I did. Some folks saying feels like a normal cold while others feel like complete crap and vaccination status isn't predictive. One couple - husband not boosted and feels like crap, wife unvaccinated and is not showing any symptoms.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
        Well, this Christmas sure has sucked. My wife tested positive for Covid yesterday. We had to cancel my daughter's Xmas visit and postpone until May. We live in a 1 bedroom apartment and sleeping on the couch has been rough. Not sure if I contracted a very mild case or not, as I've had a bit of a sore throat but no coughing. I tested negative on the rapid test, but so did my wife, then positive 2 days later. My wife is feeling very rough now, today will be day 4 of symptoms for her. We are double vaxed, but aren't eligible for boosters until January. Ugh.
        Sorry to hear that, hope you both recover quickly
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• A ton of people I know or that are in my orbit currently have COVID - feels like many more at the same time than ever before. It's sketching me out big time.
          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
            A ton of people I know or that are in my orbit currently have COVID - feels like many more at the same time than ever before. It's sketching me out big time.
            anyone with serious symptoms? I know a few as well but nothing too serious at this point
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
              anyone with serious symptoms? I know a few as well but nothing too serious at this point
              Seems like a few of them are struggling but it's hard to tell - mostly Facebook updates and whatnot. I'm feeling pretty dubious about jumping on this plane the family and I have scheduled for later this week, though, that's for sure.
              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                Seems like a few of them are struggling but it's hard to tell - mostly Facebook updates and whatnot. I'm feeling pretty dubious about jumping on this plane the family and I have scheduled for later this week, though, that's for sure.
                I'm sure you probably already know this, but I've been seeing a lot of recommendations for getting N95 masks when out in public now. I always mask up, or lately even double mask, but I haven't been wearing N95 masks. Just ordered a box though, seems like a good idea at this point.

Three days after she got home from college my daughter had a sore throat and tested positive. We set up our HEPA air filters after that and somehow managed to not catch it. She was sick for 2-3 days, for her it was an average cold, thankfully. Not sure if it was Delta or Omicron.
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                  I'm sure you probably already know this, but I've been seeing a lot of recommendations for getting N95 masks when out in public now. I always mask up, or lately even double mask, but I haven't been wearing N95 masks. Just ordered a box though, seems like a good idea at this point.

Three days after she got home from college my daughter had a sore throat and tested positive. We set up our HEPA air filters after that and somehow managed to not catch it. She was sick for 2-3 days, for her it was an average cold, thankfully. Not sure if it was Delta or Omicron.
                  I hear ya, my oldest has it now, it's lingered over a week, no taste or smell and now her SO and stepfather, (both unvaxxed like my oldest) have it. My youngest, who I pressured into getting vaxxed and their mother (vaxxed), don't have it.

Pam and I are OK because we're not in the same city. We mask, but I'm thinking a box of N95s might be necessary soon.

Stay Safe folks.
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• My 14-year old daughter tested positive yesterday after waking up with a sore throat, cough, and headache. Felt better by day's end as we received the test result. I'm going in today to be tested even though I'm feeling no symptoms at all. Took 5 hours in a drive-thru testing facility to get her tested yesterday because many folks are either sick or need to get proof of something for travel. I was able to make an appointment 30 minutes outside of town today at a clinic because everything in my town is booked solid until Friday. I had to wake up at 5am to sign up for an appointment for my son later today at an urgent care place.

Safe to say, we're all planning on being home for the next 5-10 days.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                      At work we have 41 out today because of covid and last week had our first death - so it is getting pretty serious around here.

Comment

• Son's rapid test at the clinic came back negative and I'm waiting my PCR test results. Kids were in the same places & around same people the since a week ago Friday, and have the same vaccinations, so this was an unexpected outcome.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                          Son's rapid test at the clinic came back negative and I'm waiting my PCR test results. Kids were in the same places & around same people the since a week ago Friday, and have the same vaccinations, so this was an unexpected outcome.
                          *************Disclaimer, I am not a health care professional, get your info from a doctor************

Sorry to hear that you have a family member with covid. My daughter also tested positive about 10 days ago, and it is a stressful time. Hope you all stay safe and healthy. We called our doctor after she tested positive. The doctor said she was most contagious the 2 days before she had symptoms. She also said that 3-4 days after she was healthy with no symptoms she should cease being contagious. We all wore masks around the house and used air filters for 5 days after my daughter had no symptoms. Early guidance that I recall was that people could test postive up to 14 days after exposure. So it is completely possible to get a negative test, but days or even hours later, test positive. We were fortunate that no one else in the family apparently caught Covid. Anyway, I'm not an expert, but wanted to share the info I have for you or anyone else. Hope you and your family get thru this in good health and without much impact to your lives.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                            *************Disclaimer, I am not a health care professional, get your info from a doctor************

Sorry to hear that you have a family member with covid. My daughter also tested positive about 10 days ago, and it is a stressful time. Hope you all stay safe and healthy. We called our doctor after she tested positive. The doctor said she was most contagious the 2 days before she had symptoms. She also said that 3-4 days after she was healthy with no symptoms she should cease being contagious. We all wore masks around the house and used air filters for 5 days after my daughter had no symptoms. Early guidance that I recall was that people could test postive up to 14 days after exposure. So it is completely possible to get a negative test, but days or even hours later, test positive. We were fortunate that no one else in the family apparently caught Covid. Anyway, I'm not an expert, but wanted to share the info I have for you or anyone else. Hope you and your family get thru this in good health and without much impact to your lives.
                            Thanks. Fortunately, the weather has been unseasonably warm here of late so we have the windows open to keep fresh air moving around the house while she stays in her room as much as possible. My son was showing similar symptoms (congestion, sore throat), so I was surprised to see he passed the first basic round. Either way, we're all staying home until symptoms/tests are negative as I had to order home kits because nothing is in stores/libraries around here right now due to poor planning by the state. Wife and I are fully vaxxed (2 pfizer + booster) while kids aren't booster eligible yet. The adults feel completely fine. We've tested just because of the exposure concern since my wife works in the Cardiovascular OR.

Comment

• I think I found out why I was wrong about why you can still get infected after vaccination. it has nothing to do with which protein the vaccine targetshttps://doctors4covidethics.org/on-c...r-vaccination/
                              Why the vaccines cannot protect against infection
                              A fundamental mistake underlying the development of the COVID-19 vaccines was to neglect the functional distinction between the two major categories of antibodies which the body produces in order to protect itself from pathogenic microbes.

The first category (secretory IgA) is produced by immune cells (lymphocytes) which are located directly underneath the mucous membranes that line the respiratory and intestinal tract. The antibodies produced by these lymphocytes are secreted through and to the surface of the mucous membranes. These antibodies are thus on site to meet air-borne viruses, and they may be able to prevent viral binding and infection of the cells.

The second category of antibodies (IgG and circulating IgA) occur in the bloodstream. These antibodies protect the internal organs of the body from infectious agents that try to spread via the bloodstream.

Vaccines that are injected into the muscle – i.e., the interior of the body – will only induce IgG and circulating IgA, not secretory IgA. Such antibodies cannot and will not effectively protect the mucous membranes from infection by SARS-CoV-2. Thus, the currently observed “breakthrough infections” among vaccinated individuals merely confirm the fundamental design flaws of the vaccines. Measurements of antibodies in the blood can never yield any information on the true status of immunity against infection of the respiratory tract.

The inability of vaccine-induced antibodies to prevent coronavirus infections has been reported in recent scientific publications.
                              if this is true it would mean ppl who survived natural infection would be less contagious than ppl only vaccinated. and a future nasal vaccine would be better. I am not sure how this relates to innate and adaptive immunity.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                                I think I found out why I was wrong about why you can still get infected after vaccination. it has nothing to do with which protein the vaccine targetshttps://doctors4covidethics.org/on-c...r-vaccination/ if this is true it would mean ppl who survived natural infection would be less contagious than ppl only vaccinated. and a future nasal vaccine would be better. I am not sure how this relates to innate and adaptive immunity.
                                I'm pretty sure this is false. A brief survey of the literature suggests it is complete bunk, and that vaccines create IgA in the saliva, which is a good proxy for IgA in the mucous membranes of the respiratory and digestive tracts.
                                Last edited by Kevin Seitzer; 12-30-2021, 11:59 PM.
                                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
                                X