*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    Apropos of nothing, I wish Elizabeth Warren was our president.
    You and me both, brother. I was just thinking about the intellectual gap between her and the guy who said windmills cause cancer. I fear we will never get a POTUS of her caliber, at least in my lifetime.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
      You and me both, brother. I was just thinking about the intellectual gap between her and the guy who said windmills cause cancer. I fear we will never get a POTUS of her caliber, at least in my lifetime.
      I also had a small bankruptcy question come up and I was able to quickly reference her textbook which I keep in my office, lol. That was kinda neat.
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

I also had a small bankruptcy question come up and I was able to quickly reference her textbook which I keep in my office, lol. That was kinda neat.
        Serendipity !
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          Heard the announcers on the game taliking....Eloy Jimenez autographed jersey for $250?

https://whitesox.auctions.mlb.com/
          Somehow i got on MLB auctions email list, go figure. Anyway they are auctioning off the chance to throw the first pitch at a world series game. It also includes premium seats for 4, 2 hotel rooms for 2 nights, airfare in first class, and meet and greet with baseball VIPs. It was only $3200 when I checked yesterday morning....ha, it was like 30k last night so I wasn't tempted. Although I'm thinking I could wear a shirt that I could sell for advertising....hmmm

---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• all the MLB games today are starting at basically the same time...have they done that before and I just didn't notice or is this new ?
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
              all the MLB games today are starting at basically the same time...have they done that before and I just didn't notice or is this new ?
              It started fairly recently, but they've done it at least a couple of years before this.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Hadn't thought about it much, but it does look like Freddie Freeman is building a HoF resume.

Comment

Hadn't thought about it much, but it does look like Freddie Freeman is building a HoF resume.
                  He'd belong based on the Harold Baines standard, but overall it feels more like a "just missed" than HoF.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    He'd belong based on the Harold Baines standard, but overall it feels more like a "just missed" than HoF.
                    Too soon to say for sure, but 5-ish more years of his current production gives him pretty great counting stats and, relative to the league, he's pretty clearly better than Baines. Put him at 450 HR (maybe a stretch?) and 1500 RBIs (also maybe a stretch) and he's looking pretty good, assuming his rate stats don't tank as he gets older.

Comment

Too soon to say for sure, but 5-ish more years of his current production gives him pretty great counting stats and, relative to the league, he's pretty clearly better than Baines. Put him at 450 HR (maybe a stretch?) and 1500 RBIs (also maybe a stretch) and he's looking pretty good, assuming his rate stats don't tank as he gets older.
                      Hall of Fame Statistics

Black Ink
                      Batting - 15 (190), Average HOFer ≈ 27
                      Gray Ink
                      Batting - 125 (183), Average HOFer ≈ 144
                      Hall of Fame Monitor
                      Batting - 72 (290), Likely HOFer ≈ 100
                      Hall of Fame Standards
                      Batting - 30 (342), Average HOFer ≈ 50

JAWS
                      First Base (42nd):
                      43.1 career WAR | 33.4 7yr-peak WAR | 38.2 JAWS | 4.5 WAR/162
                      Average HOF 1B (out of 21):
                      66.9 career WAR | 42.7 7yr-peak WAR | 54.8 JAWS | 5.0 WAR/162

So, yeah, not there yet. But not terribly far away! His most similar by age is Eddie Murray at nearly every age, which is kinda weird.

Comment

I agree that he's pretty clearly better than Baines, that's why I said he'd belong based on the Baines standard.

His top "through age 31" comps are Palmeiro (easy HoF without the roids), Hrbek (no), Adrian Gonzalez (no), Shawn Green (no), Prince Fielder (no).

Feels like a just missed type overall. That said, most of those guys were done by age 35. If he keeps going then much more likely he's in.

Comment

Hadn't thought about it much, but it does look like Freddie Freeman is building a HoF resume.
                          This American Life was covering some festival, maybe in Santa Fe, where they burn a giant marionette with people's bad memories or complaints in it? That sounded kinda fun.
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                            This American Life was covering some festival, maybe in Santa Fe, where they burn a giant marionette with people's bad memories or complaints in it? That sounded kinda fun.
                            Zozobra is the puppet's name --- "Old Man Gloom"

It's part of the Santa Fe Fiestas celebration, which is pretty unique and amazing. It's part harvest festival (yay!) and part Spanish conquering festival (boo!).

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                              The Bachelorette
                              was covering some festival, maybe in Santa Fe, where they burn a giant marionette with people's bad memories or complaints in it? That sounded kinda fun.
                              Fixed. Ashamed to admit I know this
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                              X