Official Baseball In Memoriam Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two more from the 1980s gone:

Juan Bell, a former top prospect once traded for Eddie Murray and is the brother of George Bell, died at age 48.

Bryan Clutterbuck, a former Brewer swingman, died at age 56. I think I got his card in every pack.

Comment

• Russ Nixon, who managed the Reds in 1982-1983 and the Braves from 1988-1990, died at age 81.

Comment

• Ralph Branca, who served up the 'Shot Heard 'Round the World,' died at age 90.

Comment

• MJL favorite Putsy Caballero died Thursday at age 89. RIP.

Comment

• what!
            In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• John Barfield, who pitched for the Texas Rangers from 1989-1991, was killed in a domestic dispute at age 52. RIP.

Comment

• Detroit Tigers owner Mike Ilitch has died at age 87. RIP.

Comment

• Former Phillies, Yankees & Mets manager Dallas Green died at age 82. RIP.

Comment

• Pedro Guerrero, depending on which reports you see, has either died or is very close to death.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      Pedro Guerrero, depending on which reports you see, has either died or is very close to death.
                      I heard this news this morning. He was my idol growing up. I think I'm going to cry.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        Pedro Guerrero, depending on which reports you see, has either died or is very close to death.
                        Whew

"Two days after suffering a massive stroke, former baseball player Pedro Guerrero woke up in a New York hospital and talked to his family and friends, his wife told ESPN.

Guerrero, a former slugger with the Los Angeles Dodgers and St. Louis Cardinals, was hospitalized late Monday after suffering a massive stroke near his home in Queens. His wife, Roxanna Guerrero, told ESPN he was initially taken to the Jamaica Center Hospital because it was nearby, but was then transferred to Lenox Hill Hospital, where he had undergone a brain bypass surgery two years ago.

"It is a miracle that Pedro is alive, completely conscious and speaking clearly two days after a doctor basically declared him brain dead," Roxanna Guerrero told ESPN. "This is a miracle."

Roxanna Guerrero said doctors initially informed her that she had to sign a document to disconnect her husband and declare him dead, but she told ESPN that she refused until she had more information and wanted doctors to communicate with the doctor who operated him in February 2015."

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Whew

"Two days after suffering a massive stroke, former baseball player Pedro Guerrero woke up in a New York hospital and talked to his family and friends, his wife told ESPN.

Guerrero, a former slugger with the Los Angeles Dodgers and St. Louis Cardinals, was hospitalized late Monday after suffering a massive stroke near his home in Queens. His wife, Roxanna Guerrero, told ESPN he was initially taken to the Jamaica Center Hospital because it was nearby, but was then transferred to Lenox Hill Hospital, where he had undergone a brain bypass surgery two years ago.

"It is a miracle that Pedro is alive, completely conscious and speaking clearly two days after a doctor basically declared him brain dead," Roxanna Guerrero told ESPN. "This is a miracle."

Roxanna Guerrero said doctors initially informed her that she had to sign a document to disconnect her husband and declare him dead, but she told ESPN that she refused until she had more information and wanted doctors to communicate with the doctor who operated him in February 2015."
                          Whew is right. That's great news.

Is Guerrero our first living member of the In Memoriam Thread?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                            Whew is right. That's great news.

Is Guerrero our first living member of the In Memoriam Thread?
                            Yes, fortunately. Reports of his demise were greatly exaggerated.

Comment

• Todd Frohwirth, a pitcher who had a 9-year career primarily for the Orioles and Phillies, and who was a scout for the Orioles, died March 26th of stomach cancer at age 54. RIP.

Roy Sievers, who won the first Rookie of the Year Award and hit 318 HRs over a 17-year career, died April 3rd at age 90. RIP.

Ruben Amaro, Sr., who played 11 years, primarily for the Phillies, and was the father of Ruben Amaro Jr., died at age 81. RIP.

Comment

• Former ump Steve Palermo, who was shot and temporarily paralyzed during an attempt to stop a robbery in 1991, passed away at age 67. RIP.

Comment

Working...
                                X