thoughts on this quote?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thoughts on this quote?

""For industry, however, applicability is always prioritized over ideology. Thus, running schools according to the wisdom of the business world is precisely the thought paradigm which led to the high stakes testing procedures that currently plague the United States""

from this article

thanks for giving me something to think about - I will try and absorb it later today

Comment

not to hijack, but this is the quote that has been haunting me lately, it will probably end up in my sig file

"The towers are gone now, reduced to bloody rubble, along with all hopes for peace in our time, in the U.S. or any other country. Make no mistake about it: we are at War now- with somebody- and we will stay at war with that strange and mysterious enemy for the rest of our lives."

"It will be a religious war, a sort of christian jihad,fueled by religious hatred and led by merciless fanatics on both sides. It will be guerrilla warfare on a global scale, with no front lines and no identifiable enemy."

Hunter S Thompson, September 12th, 2001
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
        not to hijack, but this is the quote that has been haunting me lately, it will probably end up in my sig file

"The towers are gone now, reduced to bloody rubble, along with all hopes for peace in our time, in the U.S. or any other country. Make no mistake about it: we are at War now- with somebody- and we will stay at war with that strange and mysterious enemy for the rest of our lives."

"It will be a religious war, a sort of christian jihad,fueled by religious hatred and led by merciless fanatics on both sides. It will be guerrilla warfare on a global scale, with no front lines and no identifiable enemy."

Hunter S Thompson, September 12th, 2001
        amazing how clairvoyant he was

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
          amazing how clairvoyant he was
          Gosh, I'm no Obama fan, but labeling him a Christian jihadi is wayyyy out of line, IMO
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
            "“God told me to strike at al-Qaeda and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East.“ - George W. Bush October 6 2005.
            LOL. Really? You are aware that quote actually comes from Mahmoud Abbas, claiming Bush said this to him? Not that Abbas had any stake in gussying up the Bush quote for his audience at the time.

And had Bush said it, it'd have been in '03. The root article is from Haaretz.

Comment

"“God told me to strike at al-Qaeda and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East.“ - George W. Bush October 6 2005.

So you're partly right...
              Religious or not, Obama certainly seems to have bought in completely to the Bush/Cheney view of the "terrorist threat" and the appropriate response by the U.S.
              ---------------------------------------------
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                Religious or not, Obama certainly seems to have bought in completely to the Bush/Cheney view of the "terrorist threat" and the appropriate response by the U.S.
                Gosh I am loathed to get involved in any political sports bar stuff, but come on, what is Obama - or any other potential US president - supposed to do? Ignore it? Ron Paul it? How quickly (or maybe not quickly) people forget about how they felt on Sept. 12. If our president does not attempt to end the threats against our country, he simply wont get elected, or wont be in office very long.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                  Gosh I am loathed to get involved in any political sports bar stuff, but come on, what is Obama - or any other potential US president - supposed to do? Ignore it? Ron Paul it? How quickly (or maybe not quickly) people forget about how they felt on Sept. 12. If our president does not attempt to end the threats against our country, he simply wont get elected, or wont be in office very long.
                  I'm not too interested involved in a political discussion either. I'll just say that I believe the threats are vastly overstated and I also question how effective our policy of fighting terrorism has been over the last 13 years. Why do there seem to be more terrorists than ever ? Do we want to keep bombing them for another 13 years, and another 13 after that ? Has we really prevented an attack or just created more potential attackers ?
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I'm not too interested involved in a political discussion but then make astounding statements that beg for response.

ISIS is vastly more a legitimate threat than the trumped up excuse of "evil doers" that caused US involvement to hunt down Hussein and his non existent "weapons of mass destruction", who had no ties to the 9/11 attack but Bush had a clean slate to do as he pleased at that time, which included nearly sending the world economy into the void via allowing an unregulated financial market to be gamed then collapse, through just a handful of traders.

Obama has had an absurdly measured response and is of course caught in the no win situation, he has to do what he is doing at a minimum, and for that gets called out. Ron Paul might call for US to just wall up our borders and play isolationist, but the borders are nothing but wisps of web. We dont actually have an iron dome that will keep the bad guys at bay, dealing with the threat of ISIS, made up with many members who have passports from all over the world including US, is needed because it would slam our system to the core in weeks if unchecked.

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                      I'm not too interested involved in a political discussion but then make astounding statements that beg for response.

ISIS is vastly more a legitimate threat than the trumped up excuse of "evil doers" that caused US involvement to hunt down Hussein and his non existent "weapons of mass destruction", who had no ties to the 9/11 attack but Bush had a clean slate to do as he pleased at that time, which included nearly sending the world economy into the void via allowing an unregulated financial market to be gamed then collapse, through just a handful of traders.

Obama has had an absurdly measured response and is of course caught in the no win situation, he has to do what he is doing at a minimum, and for that gets called out. Ron Paul might call for US to just wall up our borders and play isolationist, but the borders are nothing but wisps of web. We dont actually have an iron dome that will keep the bad guys at bay, dealing with the threat of ISIS, made up with many members who have passports from all over the world including US, is needed because it would slam our system to the core in weeks if unchecked.
                      Maybe I should have been more clear -- I'm not interested in spending any significant amount of my time trying to convince anyone here at RJ that our foreign policy is a failure and a huge waste of money. If others want to respond to my post that's fine, if not that's fine too. I don't think it is astounding to question if our strategy in fighting the war on terror has been a good one. If it is so great why are we spending 100 of billions of dollars every year with no end in sight ?

To tie it back to the Hunter Thompson quote, my initial response to El Diablo was to point out that even if Obama isn't a religious zealot, he is carrying on the work they started and pushed for. The endless global war on terror/Islam that Thompson predicted is happening, and it doesn't even require religious zealots anymore.
                      Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 09-23-2014, 08:17 PM.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

(Obama has now bombed more countries than any President since WWII, by the way.)
                        It's Bush's Fault !
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                          It's Bush's Fault !
                          that's because god told bush to convince obama to bomb everybody!
                          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post

Wahahahahahahaha! Talk about seeing the world through Obama-tinted glasses!

Let's just agree for a moment that there were actually no WMDs in Iraq at the time of the invasion. That also correlates to ISIS not having any WMDs, either, since anything they would have would have been stolen from the supposed stash in the Mosul region, that for this conversation, never existed. So, ISIS has no WMDs. Now, at one time, Hussein DID have WMDs. And he used them. On Iraqis. On Kurds. On Iranians. So it is logical to assume that had he wanted to and was able to re-establish WMDs, he'd have used them again on somebody.

Hussein had a much larger military, and despite getting their butts kicked by us, were far more formidable than ISIS. Let's remember that the Iraqis fought Iran - a much larger nation with what was presumed to be a better arsenal behind them - to a draw.

I can see a rationale for going after ISIS. But more dangerous than Iraq in Hussein's day? LOL!!

Comment

The quote was actually provided by Palestinian foreign minister Nabil Shaath who met with Bush in Sharm el-Shaikh in Egypt for an Israeli-Palestine summit. It was corroborated by many others, Abbas included.
                              The quote was supposedly made to Abbas, and yes, I'm highly skeptical of it's accuracy. It's much like how the right pieced together parts of Obama's discussion with Medvedev in 2012 into supposed quotes.

Comment

Working...
                              X