No announcement yet.

Warranties..good for wiping your ass...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warranties..good for wiping your ass...

So two of the HVAC pumps in the library need repairs done. Mind you they are only two years old. The manufacturer says they are out of warranty so they will not cover the cost of any repairs. That ONE YEAR warranty sure came in handy!!

It's too bad companies don't actually stand behind or believe in their products and offer a 5 year warranty. Instead they know their piece of shit products will fail so they offer a 1 year warranty. Assholes. But hey they gotta make money, right!!

How about actually building solid products so you can offer a longer warranty because you know your product WON'T fail!

So now instead of purchasing new technology or funding programs or adding to the collection, Ii get to spend money to fix two year old HVAC pumps that failed.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

I guess it makes a difference what brands you buy. I bought a new water heater last year. American made, but not Bradford - White. It has a 5 year parts warranty, and a 3 year labor warranty. But what did surprise me was that the guy who sold / installed it for me said that I should not expect it to last any longer than 7 - 8 years. My last house had a water heather that lasted 1 year and failed, and was replaced by the builder. I lived 12 more years in that house and had the same ( 2nd ) water heater.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa Deuce View Post
      I guess it makes a difference what brands you buy. I bought a new water heater last year. American made, but not Bradford - White. It has a 5 year parts warranty, and a 3 year labor warranty. But what did surprise me was that the guy who sold / installed it for me said that I should not expect it to last any longer than 7 - 8 years. My last house had a water heather that lasted 1 year and failed, and was replaced by the builder. I lived 12 more years in that house and had the same ( 2nd ) water heater.
      Unfortunately I had no say so in what companies were used in the renovation.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        So two of the HVAC pumps in the library need repairs done. Mind you they are only two years old. The manufacturer says they are out of warranty so they will not cover the cost of any repairs. That ONE YEAR warranty sure came in handy!!

It's too bad companies don't actually stand behind or believe in their products and offer a 5 year warranty. Instead they know their piece of shit products will fail so they offer a 1 year warranty. Assholes. But hey they gotta make money, right!!

How about actually building solid products so you can offer a longer warranty because you know your product WON'T fail!

So now instead of purchasing new technology or funding programs or adding to the collection, Ii get to spend money to fix two year old HVAC pumps that failed.
        I know a lot about this stuff. I sell electric motors to this industry. The truth of the matter is that you the consumer want to pay the lowest price. You won't pay for the quality that is offered.

I have lost business in the last year because we make a quality product right here in the Midwest that costs more than our overseas competitors. Our product costs about 10-15% more than my Chinese counterpart. Most customers are not willing to pay that. So if I want to participate in this business I have to find ways to lower my costs. In motor speak that means I have to take material out of the motor to reduce material costs. Sure the motor will run at the rated horsepower, it will do the job. It will also run hotter which reduces the life of the motor. I will also have to put Chinese bearings in the motor that we can buy for about 1/3rd the cost of a top quality bearing. The bearing will last about 3 years rather than than the 10 plus years that I could supply.

Costing is an exercise that every serious player is involved in. I was with a company that for years took incremental business in the air compressor industry. Incremental business is the business we took at cost or near cost. This business was so big that taking it at cost allowed us to lower our overall motor costs (material buy and overhead) and make more profit on the non incremental business. It was calculated that we could lose 14% on that business and still have it positively effect all other business. With each year's demand for lower sell price (making lower profit), eventually the company decided to get out of the air compressor business.

The Doerr Electric Corporation was eventually sold to Emerson Electric. After a year they decided to consolidate their factories and Doerr was shut down. About 700 jobs were lost in a town of 10,000 with a neighboring community of about 9,000. Big hit to the locals

In 2010 Emerson Electric was sold to Nidec a Japanese Company.

Comment

Gregg. I can definitely understand that consumers want to pay less and get more. Unfortunately my library is taking the financial hit because the contractor must have went with the lowest cost instead of the best quality.

Comment

Gregg. I can definitely understand that consumers want to pay less and get more. Unfortunately my library is taking the financial hit because the contractor must have went with the lowest cost instead of the best quality.
            Not really. Your library is just paying later what they most likely did not want to pay upfront. This is not uncommon with today's budgets.

I would be willing to bet the contractor didn't give the library one choice. I recently had to put in a new furnace and air conditioner I was given 6 choices with each one being more than the next.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              Not really. Your library is just paying later what they most likely did not want to pay upfront. This is not uncommon with today's budgets.

I would be willing to bet the contractor didn't give the library one choice. I recently had to put in a new furnace and air conditioner I was given 6 choices with each one being more than the next.
              The renovation paid for by the city and was bid out by the city to the lowest bidding contractor who then sub-contracted all of the separate parts of the renovation. The library Board and I had absolutely no role in choosing any of the HVAC products. If I would have had any say-so i would certainly have wanted better products with longer warranties even if they cost more up front. I would have went cheaper on other things.

But i understand you can only get what fits the budget at the time.

Comment

The renovation paid for by the city and was bid out by the city to the lowest bidding contractor who then sub-contracted all of the separate parts of the renovation. The library Board and I had absolutely no role in choosing any of the HVAC products. If I would have had any say-so i would certainly have wanted better products with longer warranties even if they cost more up front. I would have went cheaper on other things.

But i understand you can only get what fits the budget at the time.
                Yeah, I get that. Part of my everyday job is to try to convince customers to pay a little extra for good old American quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  Yeah, I get that. Part of my everyday job is to try to convince customers to pay a little extra for good old American quality.
                  I have had at least 15 service calls for the HVAC unit in 2 years. For a wide variety of reasons. Drives me crazy. Right now the AC isn't working properly in two rooms.

Comment

Unfortunately I had no say so in what companies were used in the renovation.
                    READ: Some cheap assholes found the cheapest systems they could find.
                    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

$880 to fix the pumps...nice...it's not like that money could be used for other things, like programs, technology, collection....

Comment

You know what library never has issues with HVAC, copiers and other annoyances, Mith? Amazon Prime Unlimited.
                        "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                          You know what library never has issues with HVAC, copiers and other annoyances, Mith? Amazon Prime Unlimited.
                          Yeah, but that's money that could be spent on apricot soju.

Comment

I get dismayed when intelligent people find ways to dismiss libraries.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                              Yeah, but does Amazon Prime provide a place for homeless people to take dumps? Didn't think so.
                              Yeah because that's all that libraries are good for. Wow.

Another post that exemplifies why people leave and or left this site. I think Sheep had the right idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X