Ultra Hi-Def TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultra Hi-Def TV

I guess by now, most everybody has seen 4K TV somewhere. I went to a special event at a high end electronic place to check it out. I know that at some point, I won't have a choice, but I really don't like it. It looks so crisp and clean that it looks fake to my eyes. I really have no desire to ever get one. But my main TV is about 5 - 6 years old, and if it lasts a few more years, by then I guess 4K TV will be the standard. Not looking forward to that day. I almost feel like I want to buy a TV now to have it ready for that event.... I won't, but it feels like I should.

You like Ultra Hi-DEf TV?

I'm not sure 4K will be standard for a very long time. The amount of data that has to be transmitted to allow for 4K broadcasts is enormous, and the current networks and infrastructure are not equipped to cope with that. Netflix is trying to make themselves pioneers of 4K, but the Internet providers will not allow that on mass. Netflix is already accused of clogging up the bandwidth, massive 4K usage would make that far worse.

Comment

Yeah the emergence of 4K is a big part of the whole net neutrality debate (just ran an article about it at work). 4K means streaming 8 megapixels as opposed to 2 megapixels for HDTV - that's a major bandwidth issue.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        I'm not sure 4K will be standard for a very long time. The amount of data that has to be transmitted to allow for 4K broadcasts is enormous, and the current networks and infrastructure are not equipped to cope with that. Netflix is trying to make themselves pioneers of 4K, but the Internet providers will not allow that on mass. Netflix is already accused of clogging up the bandwidth, massive 4K usage would make that far worse.
        Interesting read here Johnnya24.

The main reason I say this is the exceptional speed with which 4K screens are being produced and adopted. On the production side, at the time of writing Amazon already lists nearly 60 4K/UHD TVs starting from as little as $339, and I’ve spoken to a number of people working in TV hardware production who foresee a situation where possibly by the end of 2015 and almost certainly by the end of 2016 it will difficult to buy a decent big-screen TV that doesn’t carry a native 4K resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa Deuce View Post
          Interesting read here Johnnya24.

The main reason I say this is the exceptional speed with which 4K screens are being produced and adopted. On the production side, at the time of writing Amazon already lists nearly 60 4K/UHD TVs starting from as little as $339, and I’ve spoken to a number of people working in TV hardware production who foresee a situation where possibly by the end of 2015 and almost certainly by the end of 2016 it will difficult to buy a decent big-screen TV that doesn’t carry a native 4K resolution.
          Yeah I could see that happening. I mean, if you're buying a TV, why not make it as future proof as possible? Makes sense. Many (most?) people are still watching non-HD content on HD TV's. Since cable companies often charge a premium for access to their HD channels (here anyway), most people don't bother, or don't realize.

Comment

Working...
          X