Which older movies would you pay to watch in a theater again? AT FULL PRICE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which older movies would you pay to watch in a theater again? AT FULL PRICE

A local theater near me quite often plays old movies in one theater. I think that is fine, but they charge the same price as new movies.

Among the movies they have done this with are:

Grease ( they actually charged more than regular price for this one )
    Forest Gump
    The Shining
    Amityville Horror

And this is not some cheesy theater. It is a really nice theater that was built 2 years ago.

Honestly, I must be cheap.... I can't think of any old movie that I would pay $10 to see in a theater today. Maybe a great concert film IF the place had a great sound system. Well, wait..... maybe one movie.... Animal House, but that is because I would love to be laughing with a large crowd. I have it on DVD, so I can see it whenever, but in a big crowd might be fun.

Rocky Horror Picture Show

Comment

I've recorded most of my favorite movies, most of which are older movies, so I probably wouldnt go by myself to pay to see one of these. But I would take someone that hadnt seen the movie to a theater to see it. But an older movie that I hadnt seen before that I wanted to see I would pay to see just like any newer movie. The only one of these that I can think of is "Anna", starring Silvana Mangano. This is an Italian film that doesnt seem to be readily available anywhere, DVD, YT or anywhere else. I've been waiting for them to show this on TCM or Fox Movie Channel, but no luck so far.

An exception to this would be if they had a special feature where some movie expert or someone involved in the making of the movie was present to give a talk before or after the movie. I'd pay to go to that if it sounded interesting. Sometimes they do this at some of the repertory theatres.

Comment

I paid to see Pulp Fiction last month ... and I'd pay to see a lot more. But they probably aren't that profitable for the cinema's.

Comment

Silence of the Lambs
          Face/Off
          Lord of the Rings
          Raging Bull

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I've paid full price to see 2001 and I'd probably do it again since it's been awhile. I might pay to see the original Star Wars trilogy to get primed for the new ones.

Some others I'd consider.

A Hard Day's Night
            Fight Club
            The Goonies
            Old Boy (original)
            Apocalypto
            Aliens
            The Thin Red Line
            Buena Vista Social Club
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
              I might pay to see the original Star Wars trilogy to get primed for the new ones.
              Thirty years of sound and video advancements would makes these a much greater theater experience now.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

[QUOTE=DMT;197681]I've paid full price to see 2001 and I'd probably do it again since it's been awhile. I might pay to see the original Star Wars trilogy to get primed for the new ones.

You know, I might agree if the audio and video were enhanced. When I worked for FOX TV, they gave us a set of the first 3 on VHS. I still have them in my bedroom, unopened. I wouldn't enjoy watching them that way, these days.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  I've paid full price to see 2001 and I'd probably do it again since it's been awhile. I might pay to see the original Star Wars trilogy to get primed for the new ones.
                  [/i]
                  This is the first thing that popped to mind. I'd pay good money to see "the original" Star War series again. Not the Lucas tweak fest.

For me...

Back to the Future
                  Ghostbusters (Which I may actually go see in the theatre later this morning since it's been re-released for the 30th)
                  Anything Doctor Who, though that isn't really a movie.

Comment

North by Northwest
                    Godzilla
                    King Kong
                    The Ten Commandments
                    Star Wars trilogy
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                      This is the first thing that popped to mind. I'd pay good money to see "the original" Star War series again. Not the Lucas tweak fest.

For me...

Back to the Future
                      Ghostbusters (Which I may actually go see in the theatre later this morning since it's been re-released for the 30th)
                      Anything Doctor Who, though that isn't really a movie.
                      The latest episodes of Dr Who are being simulcast in cinemas here. It has been quite popular I believe.

Comment

some good ones in here ... I'll add Apocalypse Now
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Lots of good ones mentioned. I would go to see a "classic" movie in a few of the theaters that do that in the area every week, so I've seen most of them.

The best was Casablanca. Seeing that classic on a big screen with the cracking of the film was amazing.

Grease was great! So was the Shining.

Obviously, the Star Wars trilogy and Godfathers stand alone.

I've gone to see It's a Wonderful Life every Christmastime and it's a pretty magical thing.

Comment

None.
                            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                              some good ones in here ... I'll add Apocalypse Now
                              You beat me too it, others would be Lawrence of Arabia, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, Akira, and Ran
                              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                              X