Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey all. And what I have been doing the last 2 years.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey all. And what I have been doing the last 2 years.

First off, let me say that my plan is for a bit less drama than before. Can't guarantee zero drama, though, LOL.

So, this is what I have been doing the last couple of years:

1. Stay at home dad. Take the kids to sports events, cook dinner, do most of the chores. Though, I still own my DJ business, and DJ kind of when I want to.

2. Tried to start an internet travel forum with an entirely different take than any other travel forum I ever saw. Unfortunately, my partner in the business developed kidney cancer and walked away from the whole business...... totally understandable, but without him, I couldn't handle the website mechanics. We had also planned another website based on food wars within a city.... like the locally famous Philly Cheesesteak "wars"....... but we would have covered all the bases of local eating. Again, we had a slant we had not seen before.

3. Bought and sold lots of Netflix stock....... I hope you guys got in on it...... I did very well, but took profits way too early.

4. My mother fell in a Walmart, and almost immediately developed dementia. She is now in a nursing home. It wasn't Walmart's fault. It sort of turned my life upside down, but over time, she has actually improved. When she was at her worst, it would have been quite comical to listen to the things she said, if it wasn't so sad. We were planning on building an addition onto our home to take care of her, as she needs 24 hour care. But we were advised that that would ruin our home life by several people who had tried that, so she ended up in a nursing home. Turned out to be the right call.

5. I wrote a chapter of a book that was published. It sold about 1000 copies. I made no money on it, but am still glad that I did it.

6. Lost 25 more pounds, but still need to lose 80 more.

7. Really hurt my back doing something stupid. I was assistant coaching a girls softball team. I was batting for infield practice. After about 150 swings, I asked the other coaches - all women - to take over. None would. So I continued to bat..... to the tune of about 450 swings in 90 minutes. I was feeling awesome. Two days later, the pain set in. It is now 11 months later and I am still in lots of pain. Nobody can figure it out. I was put on steroids for a week and I felt GREAT..... Two days after the steroid prescription was over, the pain came back just as bad as before. Some days the pain is like an 8 out of 10..... on a good day it is like a 5 out of 10.

8. I have taken up Indian and Chinese cooking as a hobby. I have been approached by someone to open a casual cooking school for regular folks. ( There are about 5 of them within a 20 mile radius of where I live, and they seem to do pretty well. ) I love the idea, but don't love the investor. Probably not going to do it, but I think my wife wants me to.

9. Have won a few more local BBQ awards, though, my passion for BBQ has waned. I likely will never enter another BBQ contest.

10. Been on a roll with fantasy football. Won both of my leagues last season, and one had some pretty decent money involved. Also won a Super Bowl box pool worth $6000. But strangely enough, I find myself enjoying actual football less and less. It's almost all about fantasy football these days, except I still watch the Eagles.

11. Going through a rough patch with the wife.... pretty sure we will get through it, but some days are brutal.

12. My kids are doing incredibly well in school. Both are in gifted programs, and both are in the top 2% of students in our school district. They have both been asked to enter a new computer program at their school. It was touted as being for those "with exceptional learning capacity." They didn't want to do it at first because they thought they would be in a class with almost all boys. As it turns out, the class is 75% girls. My girls are both 13.

Anyway, that's what I have been doing the last 2 years. BTW, who owns this site these days? I think I heard that Bob no longer does. Oh, and congratulations to those of you who I have heard on Sirius / XM radio for fantasy sports.

Good to see you back PD!

If nothing else, life is always interesting!!!!
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Thank you Mith.

Comment

Glad you're here, PD and great update though not all good news.

We're getting the band back together slowly but surely... Now if we can just get Mr. Squidward, nakedricci and the anti-jordan to make appearances!
        I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
        You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
        "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
        It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Thank you, Mike.

Comment

Hey Duece, good to see you returned. I missed your drama days, so I have all fond memories of your time here.

I also am looking to lose 80 pounds, have lost 22 so far. Wanna race to see who loses 80 first?

And your wife wants you " to open a casual cooking school for regular folks" so you get the hell out of the house! Just a guess.
            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

best of luck on all levels, PD
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Welcome back PD! I always enjoyed reading about your business, investment, and cooking experiences.

As for this website, I think it went something like this:

Bob & Byron sold RotoJunkie to Fanball (I think they both bought their own Caribbean island shortly after lol)
                Fanball was bought out by someone else who didn't want the site
                Moonlight J / Jason Collette offered to buy the website content and name but was refused
                Jason started this site and had to use the new name since the old name is to this day still owned but not being used (very strange)
                We switched to this site after Jason posted at the old site about our virtual eviction notice from the new owners
                Most of the content from the old site was lost
                This site is strong thanks to the core group of members who made the switch but growth has been slow so far
                Last edited by madducks; 08-31-2014, 12:30 AM.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks, all....

Well that whole thing is quite confusing, LOL. Well, more convoluted, than confusing.

Even though I was trying to start my own sites until my partner got cancer, I had a friend of mine who owned a profitable forum tell me that internet forums are becoming dinosaurs, and that people just start groups on Facebook. IMO, the best sites will always have members.

Comment

Pogues, you're on for the 80 pounds! But you likely have an advantage, as I can't exercise most days due to the pain. But I will give it a go.

Comment

Nice having you back

Comment

Good to see your name again PD.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa Deuce View Post
                          First off, let me say that my plan is for a bit less drama than before. Can't guarantee zero drama, though, LOL.

So, this is what I have been doing the last couple of years:

1. Stay at home dad. Take the kids to sports events, cook dinner, do most of the chores. Though, I still own my DJ business, and DJ kind of when I want to.

2. Tried to start an internet travel forum with an entirely different take than any other travel forum I ever saw. Unfortunately, my partner in the business developed kidney cancer and walked away from the whole business...... totally understandable, but without him, I couldn't handle the website mechanics. We had also planned another website based on food wars within a city.... like the locally famous Philly Cheesesteak "wars"....... but we would have covered all the bases of local eating. Again, we had a slant we had not seen before.

3. Bought and sold lots of Netflix stock....... I hope you guys got in on it...... I did very well, but took profits way too early.

4. My mother fell in a Walmart, and almost immediately developed dementia. She is now in a nursing home. It wasn't Walmart's fault. It sort of turned my life upside down, but over time, she has actually improved. When she was at her worst, it would have been quite comical to listen to the things she said, if it wasn't so sad. We were planning on building an addition onto our home to take care of her, as she needs 24 hour care. But we were advised that that would ruin our home life by several people who had tried that, so she ended up in a nursing home. Turned out to be the right call.

5. I wrote a chapter of a book that was published. It sold about 1000 copies. I made no money on it, but am still glad that I did it.

6. Lost 25 more pounds, but still need to lose 80 more.

7. Really hurt my back doing something stupid. I was assistant coaching a girls softball team. I was batting for infield practice. After about 150 swings, I asked the other coaches - all women - to take over. None would. So I continued to bat..... to the tune of about 450 swings in 90 minutes. I was feeling awesome. Two days later, the pain set in. It is now 11 months later and I am still in lots of pain. Nobody can figure it out. I was put on steroids for a week and I felt GREAT..... Two days after the steroid prescription was over, the pain came back just as bad as before. Some days the pain is like an 8 out of 10..... on a good day it is like a 5 out of 10.

8. I have taken up Indian and Chinese cooking as a hobby. I have been approached by someone to open a casual cooking school for regular folks. ( There are about 5 of them within a 20 mile radius of where I live, and they seem to do pretty well. ) I love the idea, but don't love the investor. Probably not going to do it, but I think my wife wants me to.

9. Have won a few more local BBQ awards, though, my passion for BBQ has waned. I likely will never enter another BBQ contest.

10. Been on a roll with fantasy football. Won both of my leagues last season, and one had some pretty decent money involved. Also won a Super Bowl box pool worth $6000. But strangely enough, I find myself enjoying actual football less and less. It's almost all about fantasy football these days, except I still watch the Eagles.

11. Going through a rough patch with the wife.... pretty sure we will get through it, but some days are brutal.

12. My kids are doing incredibly well in school. Both are in gifted programs, and both are in the top 2% of students in our school district. They have both been asked to enter a new computer program at their school. It was touted as being for those "with exceptional learning capacity." They didn't want to do it at first because they thought they would be in a class with almost all boys. As it turns out, the class is 75% girls. My girls are both 13.

Anyway, that's what I have been doing the last 2 years. BTW, who owns this site these days? I think I heard that Bob no longer does. Oh, and congratulations to those of you who I have heard on Sirius / XM radio for fantasy sports.
                          And you couldn't find a few minutes once or twice a week to check on your old RJ friends!

Now you come all waltzing in here with your grand entrance and hey look I have arrived attitude expecting us to drop everything and act like nothing has happened.

Where were you when I needed advice on my 2014 keeper list? Where were you when I needed tips for last summers family barbecue? Being ignored by your virtual friends hurts, it hurts man. You hurt members of RJ. You hurt me. Now take this.....thpp thppp thpp. Ok, were even...

Glad to have you back.

Sounds like you have a lot of good stuff going on. I hope that things get better real fast for you and your wife.

Comment

Dude. Welcome back.

You should start a travel advice thread.

If you are doing oriental food, check this out. Scott spent time in Thailand.

I use chicken breasts and thighs and mince them in the food processor with the raw ingredients, but using chicken mince works fine too.

Turkey should work too.

You'll need (fresh);
                            Garlic
                            Galangal (or Ginger)
                            Chilli (Red and Green 1:2)
                            Coriander (leave, stalk and root)
                            Fish Sauce (Thai or Vietnamese)
                            Kaffir Lime leaves
                            Lime juice (Freshly squeezed kaffir lime is the best)
                            Lemon Grass

Your meat (chicken, turkey, also works with lamb)

Chop everything coarsely, place into a food processor and process until fairly smooth. Then slowly add coconut milk to make a runny paste.

Combine the paste with your meat and shape into patties, balls or koftas.

Alternatively, you can skewer peeled prawns (shrimp) and marinade them in the paste. Then grill or pan-fry.

That should work with a diet. In the US, coriander herb is sold cilantro.

A lot of your BarBQ stuff was lost with the site change. Feel free to repost.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

So, what aren't you telling us PD?

Nice to have you back!
                              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                              X