What is an ERROR in baseball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is an ERROR in baseball?

So, our good friend from down under, Ghuda is playing American softball (see Griswold playing baseball - Part Deux thread).

He stated he was batting .450 due to many errors and I tried to explain to him that errors by the other team doesn't really count as a hit.

So he asked what was a true error and what was a true hit.

To be honest, I'm kinda sketchy with the real truth.

So, I figured the RJ experts could jump in here and help...

So, I'll start....I hit a ball to the shortstop and he bobbles it slightly and I beat out the throw with my "blazing" speed...HIT or ERROR?

Its a hit if its determined you would've beat it out regardless of the bobble. Its an error if its determined the bobble was what allowed you to be safe at first.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

There are no errors in softball, unless it is a competitive league. When one old guy bobbles a grounder by another old guy enabling that old guy to reach first it is a hit. If you want to play by the rules I would agree with Hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by dslaw View Post
        There are no errors in softball, unless it is a competitive league. When one old guy bobbles a grounder by another old guy enabling that old guy to reach first it is a hit. If you want to play by the rules I would agree with Hammer.

If you hit the ball and end up on third that is a triple in softball - not that you ever see triples

I pitch on a slow pitch team so my unearned era is close to infinity - while my true era is only half infinity

but a 3rd strike foul out is a a strikeout and I live to get those
        usually one a game
        hope for two
        only got three once

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
          If you hit the ball and end up on third that is a triple in softball - not that you ever see triples

I pitch on a slow pitch team so my unearned era is close to infinity - while my true era is only half infinity

but a 3rd strike foul out is a a strikeout and I live to get those
          usually one a game
          hope for two
          only got three once
          If your really living it is the swing a miss K (got 2 one game)
          Or even Better - The called strike three - HAve 3 of these in my last 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
            If your really living it is the swing a miss K (got 2 one game)
            Or even Better - The called strike three - HAve 3 of these in my last 3 years.
            swing and miss is brutal - we are bad but not that bad - many over 50 guys but the league is over 30

I did get a called strike three - he was arguing a called strike two so I pitched a third strike - my catcher knows on a 2nd strike get me the ball quickly to cause more chaos - great fun

my kids came to watch on fathers day - they are in college
            usually when kids watch you here - "YAY Daddy" - "Get a homer Daddy" "Why didnt you swing at that one" and other assorted cute little kid things
            during this game you heard my son say "Wow I hope that I don't suck as bad as you guys when I get older" - thanks

Comment

So i got my first home run on the weekend - which i'm excited about. But . . . . The Right fielder 'could've' got the grounded ball - but miss timed his lunge (didn't actually touch the ball!) So is this considered a home run on an error or a legitimate home run hit?

Batted .750 on the weekend with no errors!! Got called out for leaving first early though . Mayde it home twice so not a bad day with the bat. Feilded ok as well so pretty happy with my game.

Oh and we won - beat our other team in the same league - so bragging rights is always good. Sitting 3rd at 7-5. Finals beckon

Comment

Originally posted by Ghuda View Post
                So i got my first home run on the weekend - which i'm excited about. But . . . . The Right fielder 'could've' got the grounded ball - but miss timed his lunge (didn't actually touch the ball!) So is this considered a home run on an error or a legitimate home run hit?

Batted .750 on the weekend with no errors!! Got called out for leaving first early though . Mayde it home twice so not a bad day with the bat. Feilded ok as well so pretty happy with my game.

Oh and we won - beat our other team in the same league - so bragging rights is always good. Sitting 3rd at 7-5. Finals beckon
                Nope, that sounds like a legit HR to me! Congrats!

Very impressive with the bat for the weekend!

Comment

Working...
                X