Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IRS lost its Tea Party emails - plausible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRS lost its Tea Party emails - plausible?

Right-wing radio hosts were frothing at the mouth last night - which is nothing new, but this specific was:

some tech-savvy folks here might be able to weigh in on if this is plausible or implausible? me, not tech-savvy.

"A large swath of emails to and from embattled former IRS employee Lois Lerner during the first year of the targeting controversy was lost in a computer hard drive crash, the agency told congressional investigators.

“The IRS has determined that Ms. Lerner’s computer crashed in mid-2011,” reads a background document attached to an IRS letter to Congress’s investigative panels released on Friday.

The IRS explains in the letter that it has not always backed up all employee emails due to the cost the agency would incur for allowing 90,000 employees to store their information on the IRS’s internal system.

Currently, IRS employees have the capacity to store about 6,000 emails in their active Outlook email boxes, which are saved on the IRS centralized network. But the letter and background document sent to the Hill Friday said they could only store about 1,800 emails in their active folders prior to July 2011.

When their inboxes were full, IRS employees had to make room by either deleting emails or archiving them on their personal computers. Archived data were not stored by the IRS but by the individual.

Such archived emails on Lerner’s computer were what were lost when her computer crashed.

“Any of Ms. Lerner’s email that was only stored on that computer’s hard drive would have been lost when the hard drive crashed and could not be recovered,” the letter reads."
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
    Right-wing radio hosts were frothing at the mouth last night - which is nothing new, but this specific was:

some tech-savvy folks here might be able to weigh in on if this is plausible or implausible? me, not tech-savvy.

"A large swath of emails to and from embattled former IRS employee Lois Lerner during the first year of the targeting controversy was lost in a computer hard drive crash, the agency told congressional investigators.

“The IRS has determined that Ms. Lerner’s computer crashed in mid-2011,” reads a background document attached to an IRS letter to Congress’s investigative panels released on Friday.

The IRS explains in the letter that it has not always backed up all employee emails due to the cost the agency would incur for allowing 90,000 employees to store their information on the IRS’s internal system.

Currently, IRS employees have the capacity to store about 6,000 emails in their active Outlook email boxes, which are saved on the IRS centralized network. But the letter and background document sent to the Hill Friday said they could only store about 1,800 emails in their active folders prior to July 2011.

When their inboxes were full, IRS employees had to make room by either deleting emails or archiving them on their personal computers. Archived data were not stored by the IRS but by the individual.

Such archived emails on Lerner’s computer were what were lost when her computer crashed.

“Any of Ms. Lerner’s email that was only stored on that computer’s hard drive would have been lost when the hard drive crashed and could not be recovered,” the letter reads."
    I personally don't believe they were unintentionally lost for a second but I do love watching the Tea Party folks lose their minds over this. Kind of a win-win for me.

Comment

Anyone who has seen how the government manages IT can easily believe this...same goes for large corporations. IT departments are generally harassed and leave such things as personal emails to the individual...totally plausible.

But I agree with nots, it's fun to watch these nutbags get all wound up over nothing.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

They've also given everyone who gets audited an excuse:

You guys don't care about documentation, so why should I?
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
        X