Thoughts on this quote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on this quote

“A Catholic school’s priority is to prepare children for Heaven, not for college.”
    Came out of this article as I'm doing research on Common Core because the reversal decisions by some states (mostly in the South) are wreaking havoc on my new industry. NC is the latest state to back out of it, after we're well into the process of developing their new program, and are giving the board of Ed one year to come up with new standards. In short, they're asking for Rome to be built in a day.

Well, parents do say the darnest things. Every Catholic school teacher and administrator I know would disagree with her. Heaven is important to them, but that's the church's job. School is for this life.

For what it's worth, I'm a big fan of Common Core. However, I think the Smarter Balanced assessments that are packaged with it (at least for us) are diabolical.

Comment

I would think a Catholic's school's priority would be to prepare children to be good citizen's of God's kingdom here on earth.

"Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven."
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

RJEL girl went to Catholic school all her life and she said that was never the message she got. She said they did impress on them that the benefits of going to Catholic school was that as well as the never (ha, typo of Freudian slip... should be VERY) good education the children got (and 99% of her class went on to college) was that they taught them to be good caring Christians in society. Sounds like Dane's impression as well.
        Last edited by heyelander; 06-08-2014, 03:31 AM.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I blame 8 years of Catholic School for my wife's complete unwillingness to get into (and then out of!) a little plaid skirt!
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
            I blame 8 years of Catholic School for my wife's complete unwillingness to get into (and then out of!) a little plaid skirt!
            i don't know what your problem is - she had no qualms about doing it for me. with pigtails. and a lollipop.
            "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
              i don't know what your problem is - she had no qualms about doing it for me. with pigtails. and a lollipop.
              yea, but that was for cash
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Not sure who got burned the most in the last two posts. Someone set up a poll.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Not sure who got burned the most in the last two posts. Someone set up a poll.
                  Sounds like Fresno's wife set up two poles...
                  "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                  - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                  - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                    Sounds like Fresno's wife set up two poles...
                    she already had to add the "ugly guy with small penis" surcharge, I don't think you guys can afford any more extras

Comment

hey, who you callin' ugly?!
                      "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

All schools should prepare students for college and career as well as to be good people and active citizens. It shouldn't be a question of public school/prep school for college and career preparation or parochial school for character/values education.

Comment

Working...
                        X