Adult only wedding receptions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adult only wedding receptions...

A relative of mine is getting married and we received an invitation for an Adult-only reception.

Why would a couple not want children at their wedding reception? Your wedding day is a day of celebrations and fun..children add to that fun. I cannot even begin to understand why people wouldn't want children at this event, unless of course they don't like children

My wife, mother and sister all expressed a degree of anger at this invitation and will not attend. I have a 9-year old daughter. Like i said i don't really understand not having children at the reception, but it isn't a deal breaker for me attending.

Thoughts?
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Bring your car keys

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      Bring your car keys
      Hahahahahaha!
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

A friend of mine had a relative notify him after they had already paid $2K for plane/hotel/car that they couldn't bring their kids! I think he still ended up going, but considered not because of their inconsideration. I don't understand it either.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I would want children at my wedding reception (and had children at my wedding reception), but I can understand why someone wouldn't for a couple of reasons. If it is an "adult" party in the sense of an open bar and dancing, then maybe no. If the couple is very young, they and their friends might not be as comfortable around children. If there is a fancy dinner (at fancy prices), they may only want to pay for adult guests.

As I said, that wouldn't be my choice, but I can understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post

My wife, mother and sister all expressed a degree of anger at this invitation and will not attend.

Thoughts?
            since you asked, they sound - how can I put this? - awfully intolerant, and I'll leave it at that.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
              since you asked, they sound - how can I put this? - awfully intolerant, and I'll leave it at that.
              Intolerant or just strong in their belief that if the whole family isn't invited than they don't go? They weren't really angry in that they were spewing curse words, they were just upset that their kids and grandkids aren't invited.

Comment

There could be a lot of reasons to not have children invited - this doesn't seem that weird to me
                expense
                late night party
                not really friends with the kids
                want just adults there
                open bar and dancing
                a bunch of other things that you might not know

I went to my nephews bar mitzvah today and the list of guests was shrunk in the last few weeks - the grandpa is quite ill and the parents didnt want to have more distant relatives there because they wanted to have fun and relax and not feel like they had to explain to everyone the situation - it was their call

Comment

late night party
                  This is the main reason that I've encountered, and the reason why we didn't have children at ours. It's not all that uncommon. The clue is if the invitation is addressed to just the adults and does not include the children's names or "and family."

If our reception were during the day, we would have had children there.
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                    There could be a lot of reasons to not have children invited - this doesn't seem that weird to me
                    expense - How expensive is it to feed kids? Don't be cheap
                    late night party - the guests with kids can leave
                    not really friends with the kids - see expense response
                    want just adults there - this i don't understand..i just don't
                    open bar and dancing - my wedding had an open bar and dancing and a lot of kids
                    a bunch of other things that you might not know - sounds sinister

I went to my nephews bar mitzvah today and the list of guests was shrunk in the last few weeks - the grandpa is quite ill and the parents didnt want to have more distant relatives there because they wanted to have fun and relax and not feel like they had to explain to everyone the situation - it was their call

See above comments.

Comment

A bunch of other things you might not know" is a perfect description.

A lot of the misery and family rifts in the world comes from people assuming they know focking everything - and that they are entitled to be told anything they don't know.

I can think of a number of reasons why someone would find it difficult to have children attend their wedding, including several that would be because of some past tragedy that would be no one else's business. IF that was the case here, then your relatives would rightly feel - I'll be kind... embarrassed at how presumptive they were.

good on you for attending anyway. I'm sure it will be appreciated...
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

it's not that uncommon. you may not like it, or understand it, but as others have said, folks have many reasons for not inviting kids. the last wedding i went to the reception was no kids. meh - let them have the party they want to have. it's *their* day, not yours (or your kids).
                        "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

In 1988 my wife and I had a wedding for Adults only. This was the first time I had ever heard of such a thing. At first I was against it. But I did not fight it too hard as I was just glad to be the Happy Groom.

My wife is an only child, her parents blue collar workers they had saved up for a big wedding. This was not my wife's dream, but my lovely Mother-In-Laws. We had 300 guests without kids. It would have added a lot more people to the guest list had we invited kids. So the first reason was expense. They paid the top end of per plate for the times. The second reason was that they wanted it to be an elegant affair. Didn't want screaming kids or adults being preoccupied watching kids instead of enjoying the party. There was open bar and dancing until late into the night.

My cousins were offended and decided not to come. That was their choice. I did not hold it against them and never retaliated or commented. I just went on as if nothing happened. I have attended everything that they have invited me to since then. If there were lingering hard feelings on their part I am not aware of them.

Now 25 and a half years later my Mother-in-Law is glad she spent what she spent, felt it was a perfect wedding to honor us. My wife had a blast and I got the girl of my dreams.

Don't make it a big deal and go have fun. Tell your Mom to do the same.

Comment

Relatives can be so petty sometimes. Disturbs me when a person's choice in a family can't be respected by others in the family. I've heard of a few adult only receptions and it's usually code for "we're planning on getting royally fucked up...so don't bring your kids or we might step on them."

It's not really the kind of reception I'd want, but to each their own.
                            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

We partied late into the evening at our wedding but incredibly none of the kids had the endurance. I do agree to each their own and I wouldn't boycott a wedding if my kids were not allowed.

Some people just don't like kids.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                              X