X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Case of Mr Anderson

This one is really interesting.

Cliffs:

Convicted of robbing a Burger King in 2000 (embarrassing enough in itself I'd imagine). He was released on bail pending an appeal. His appeal failed and he was told to await further instructions regarding his incarceration. Further instructions never arrived. He contacted his legal team in 2000 about this, and they told him just to wait. So he did ...

In the 13 years since then, Mr Anderson turned his life around: family, 4 kids, small business owner, local soccer coach, fair dinkum pillar of the community etc

TO:

Turns out it was a clerical error that was only discovered when it came time for his release ... of course, they sent SWAT team over to knock down his door down

What to do?

I like the idea that he should serve out the remainder of his sentence as a suspended sentence. He seems like a completely reformed character. Then again, I have my doubts about how much our legal systems are about actual reform as opposed to flat-out revenge. Norway takes reform very seriously and they have a reoffending rate of 16%. The rest of Europe and the US is somewhere around 70%.

But, there may not be any direct legal mechanism to allow that. The Governor of Missouri is a known hard-on when it comes to leniency, and he may be the only legal recourse.

Seems like a good point of discussion.

Completely agree. He's already rehabilitated. Anything more would just be punishment.

I'm just confused about how he was convicted but still able to go home and wait for his appeal. Shouldn't he be remanded while the appeal is heard? Especially for a robbery/burglary kind of conviction (maybe even armed)?

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
      Completely agree. He's already rehabilitated. Anything more would just be punishment.

I'm just confused about how he was convicted but still able to go home and wait for his appeal. Shouldn't he be remanded while the appeal is heard? Especially for a robbery/burglary kind of conviction (maybe even armed)?
      There's some more information about it on This American Life from a couple months ago. See Act 4. http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...that-one-thing
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
        There's some more information about it on This American Life from a couple months ago. See Act 4. http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...that-one-thing
        That was a nicely done piece ... I reckon the article I read was based on that. Starts at "Act 4" if anyone is interested.

I agree with DA on this matter though. I don't think it would be a good precedent to set at a judicial level, and they probably don't have any legal recourse anyway. It could open up all sorts of loopholes and potential for misuse. I think the DA was basically saying that he would agree with a pardon, or someone "further up the food chain" making an exception ... in this case the Governor.
        Last edited by johnnya24; 04-21-2014, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Followup: released after a little less than a year, given credit for time served for all the time he wasn't in jail. http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Working...
          X