Anarchy in San Francisco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anarchy in San Francisco

well, sort of. They're trying, at least.

To this end, we now make our first clear demand of Google. We demand that Google give three billion dollars to an anarchist organization of our choosing. This money will then be used to create autonomous, anti-capitalist, and anti-racist communities throughout the Bay Area and Northern California. In these communities, whether in San Francisco or in the woods, no one will ever have to pay rent and housing will be free. With this three billion from Google, we will solve the housing crisis in the Bay Area and prove to the world that an anarchist world is not only possible but in fact irrepressible.

In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

We're going to create an anti-capitalist community with money gleaned from capitalism. I'm sure the capitalists will get right on board with that.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I think Google should give me 3 billion and see if I fail. I'm betting I wouldn't.

Comment

For 3 billion, I could turn into a fine anarchist!!
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Three billion? Hell, I'll put it in song...

Anarchy for the BK-- it's coming sometime and maybe...
          "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Clear demands are better than unclear demands, I guess.
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

3 billion? That's only half a block in SF. Not a whole community!

Comment

Setting aside the shenanigans of these silly pseudo-anarchist dopes for a moment, it sounds like San Francisco is sitting on a powder keg right now. Limited real estate being warred over by extreme haves and have-nots, fueled by the corporate-tech political takeover of a city that has historically resisted such power plays. Could be a bumpy ride for awhile while it all shakes out.
                "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

yeah, it's feeling rather like the beginning of our own Occupy movement. When that took off elsewhere, we definitely had people camped out in various parks and trying to organize, but although SF is a town heavy on hippies and activists, it was pretty free of bankers or people to direct the ire towards. Now that they've turned their attention to the tech world, it's blowing up pretty fast. Notice the attempt in the original screed to paint a parallel between bankers and techies, trying to say that Kevin Rose and the tech companies he works with are just leeching money from the economy instead of providing something of value.
                  In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                    Me too! I'm pretty irrepressible as well.
                    That's the first adjective most people think of when describing eldiablo...irrepressible

I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                    You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                    "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                    It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Working...
                    X