Color Movies before 1970

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

color westerns from the 50s and 60s crush sappy "song and dance" movies
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Glad to hear you're a fan of "old" movies. But I disagree w your premise that the best movies are in B&W. My own personal preference is for older movies, many of which were in B&W. I wouldnt even want to say that the best movies are the older ones (even tho I'm greatly tempted to). I think that one could get that impression because there are so many modern movies that are not impressive. I didnt grow up in the forties and fifties but there probably were just as many bad movies back then as now, but you never see the bad ones simply because noone shows 50-year old bad movies; they only show the better ones.

B&W would seem to be the best medium for film noir. But not necessarily. I would call "Miller's Crossing" a modern film noir (great movie!), and it of course was in color.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post

B&W would seem to be the best medium for film noir. But not necessarily. I would call "Miller's Crossing" a modern film noir (great movie!), and it of course was in color.
        Blood Simple, Body Heat and hell, even Blade Runner are other "noir in color" examples
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
          color westerns from the 50s and 60s crush sappy "song and dance" movies
          Many of the color westerns were sappy song and dance movies. Song anyway. Ever heard of Nelson Eddy?

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
          Blood Simple, Body Heat and hell, even Blade Runner are other "noir in color" examples
          Modern film noir is a thread we did once. Don't forget L.A. Confidential. On the hush, hush.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
          X