Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forced to decide...my favorite album ever? A little help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forced to decide...my favorite album ever? A little help?

So here's the deal. My son's 17th birthday is this week, and he and Alice are coming out to Denton to spend the weekend. So, naturally, I asked him what he wanted for his birthday.

The monkey in the wrench is that we got him his "big" birthday present six weeks early...a seven-string electric guitar...so he doesn't want (or expect) anything big now.

What he has asked for is a copy of my favorite album. He says "whatever it is, just get me my own copy". I asked "how do you know you'll like it?", to which he replied "I just will."

So, no draft, no top 20, just my favorite album for my son on the occasion of his birthday.

Those who have drafted with me a dozen times may know better than I do. But, even if you don't know what would be right for me, what would be right for you in this situation?

Remember, only one choice.

Me: London Calling.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

yeah, I think you can get a lot of this out of the first round of the 80s-90s record draft. Mine would be Graceland. If I still like it in another ten years, it might someday be Hot Fuss by the Killers, but I doubt it.
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Layla and other Assorted Love Songs, no??
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Greatest hits albums are OK???

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            Yep, I was thinking Clapton or Cream (Disraeli Gears)
            I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
            You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
            "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
            It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

This was my first thought too.

Or your favorite Zeppelin album.
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                Greatest hits albums are OK???
                Sure. I remember there being a greatest hits album I thought was awesome, but can't remember which one.

Live albums are good, too. ABB Live at the Fillmore is somewhere up there.

LAOALS may be it. I've already given him LZ I, II, III, IV and PG

Comment

The choice is obvious...

Neutral Milk Hotel!

I would think for you it would be either LAOALS or ABB. If I was choosing between those two, it'd be the latter.

If I found myself in this same scenario, I'd probably have to go with Hunky Dory.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Your choice from Doolittle and Surfer Rosa?
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      The choice is obvious...

Neutral Milk Hotel!

I would think for you it would be either LAOALS or ABB. If I was choosing between those two, it'd be the latter.

If I found myself in this same scenario, I'd probably have to go with Hunky Dory.
                      NMH? Why don't you just suggest the debut NKOTB album for Lucky.
                      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                        NMH? Why don't you just suggest the debut NKOTB album for Lucky.
                        Just as odd, but seriously, Night at the Opera - Queen. I just rediscovered this and forgot how good it is.
                        I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
                          Just as odd, but seriously, Night at the Opera - Queen. I just rediscovered this and forgot how good it is.
                          It isn't good..it's classic!!
                          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
                            It was my first round pick in the 70s draft after LZIV and Dark Side of the Moon were taken. I don't think Lucky's as big of a fan, though.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

It was my first round pick in the 70s draft after LZIV and Dark Side of the Moon were taken. I don't think Lucky's as big of a fan, though.
                              Night at the Opera was also going to get serious consideration from me for my 1st round pick, but picking near the end of the line meant I had no chance, apparently.
                              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                              X