Planning a trip to LA and SF need recon info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning a trip to LA and SF need recon info

We are in the early stages of planning a trip to LA and SF. We figure we want to spend about 12 days in California. We figure the most time would be spent in LA and we would end the trip in SF. So we need help figuring out what things we need to do & see and what things to avoid and how to maximize our finances. So far we figure Priceline and those types of web sites will be the way we go.
    Dream goal would be to see games at each stadium for the Dodger’s, Angels, A’s and Giants. Any great sections or site at each stadium we need to see? Best ticket seals (stub Hub?). LA I have no clue how far it is to each stadium or if it feasible to do it. SF I think if we it will be fairly easy to get to each stadium.
    What to do or avoid? Any recommendations on clean affordable accommodations? Any great places we need to eat. We like most foods (save Indian & middle eastern). We are not above spending but would like to maximize our time and $.

Los Angeles-
    I know we want to do the Hollywood stuff (the sign and movie types stuff). Not really interested in tours of stars home. My wife Pat would probably like the TMZ tour though-so since she is willing to do as many as 4 games I think I can do it. Maybe a city tour type deal. We both love movies so I think we would want to do things related to that. We both hate driving in traffic so this will be challenging for both of us. Would like to stay reasonably close to attractions but yet not have a trek to either Dodger or Anaheim Stadium.

SF
    This may be a 3 maybe four day stay. We are thinking of staying near Fisherman’s Wharf area because it is fairly close to both stadiums. We want to do the Wharf, Alcatraz, cable cars the usuals so to speak. Is there any other lesser known things to do or see/do? We are hoping that since we are staying in the area maybe we can go without a car is that doable?

Thanks
    Its not what you've got. Its what you give.
    Its not the life you choose. Its the life you live--TESLA

Princess Kate-Kate Marie Hrischuk 9/12/00-1/27/07

I am biased because mt wife and I are both architects - but this is way cool and halfway inbetween if you do the beautiful drive up the coast

http://hearstcastle.org/

fresno bob can give you solid SF info - hopefully what neighborhood is a reasonable deal

Comment

I've been getting hotels for about $125 in fisherman's wharf. You can do most of SF without a car I think. I haven't found any food out here to be must have. I would have suggested Hearst castle if you were going to drive from LA up to SF, but it sounds like that's not your plan. Shame, there are some really nice areas along the coast to see.

San Diego is just an hour south of LA and is absolutely beautiful and has another baseball team for you.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
        I've been getting hotels for about $125 in fisherman's wharf. You can do most of SF without a car I think. I haven't found any food out here to be must have. I would have suggested Hearst castle if you were going to drive from LA up to SF, but it sounds like that's not your plan. Shame, there are some really nice areas along the coast to see.

San Diego is just an hour south of LA and is absolutely beautiful and has another baseball team for you.
        I grew up in San Diego and went to school in LA and even in my wildest dreams, it isn't an hour away from each other. However, if you can beat traffic, you can make it in 2 hours and would certainly be worth getting down to the beaches, Petco Park and more.

There's no easy place to stay in LA that gets you close to Dodgers and Angels and close to attractions. The two are 45 min-an hour away from each other so you could either stay in the middle (east LA area) or in downtown LA which would put you close to Dodger Stadium, Chinatown, Hollywood, etc. Some other recommendations for LA are Santa Monica/the beach, Venice Beach, Staples Center/AEG Live, Various Movie Studios that you could get tours of, Beverly Hills, etc. They do have walking tours of the Hollywood sign/walk of fame area which I've heard are very good. Things to avoid - driving during rush hour! I'll have to think about food places - so many good ones, hard to narrow it down. Dodger Stadium has a good all you can eat section and most of Angel Stadium's seats are good. I've been to both plenty of times, grew up in SD, went to school in LA and now live in Long Beach so if you've got any more questions about the LA part of your trip, let me know!

Comment

How many of you are there? You could check out airbnb in SF for some decent places. Alcatraz is great, you can get on the California line for the cable car instead of the Powell line and not wait 2 hours, and you can 100% do SF without a car. The wharf is touristy crap that you can do in an hour, make your way along the embaracadero the day you are going to the Giants game, and take BART to the As game
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.

I figure SF will be the easier part of the trip (planning and travel). I had forgot about BART. Good to know its good for the A's game. It looks as if the area we want to stay in is about 2-5 miles from AT&T Park. Is a cab the best way or is BART an option for that too?

LA is humongous and it is intimating. Not sure how to attack and plan out the trip. My guess is to find exactly want we want to do and then find a place closest to the majority of things we want. Sounds as if driving to the games will be the big problem. Is there any public transportation to the games in LA? We plan to fly from LA to SF so seeing the sites in between isn't an option. Neither of us enjoy driving long distances, but driving up the coast could be cool. May we will revisit the idea.

One question about stadium policy. Do the stadiums require bags to be see through? They have started doing this here in Michigan so I figure California was already doing it?

2 Hours to San Diego? Hmmm would she be willing to take in 5 games
            Its not what you've got. Its what you give.
            Its not the life you choose. Its the life you live--TESLA

Princess Kate-Kate Marie Hrischuk 9/12/00-1/27/07

Comment

SFG doesn't require see through bags, or they didn't last year. Cab or walk to the stadium depending on where you are staying, I'd walk all along the Embarcedero, and grab lunch at the Ferry Building
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                it isn't an hour away from each other. However, if you can beat traffic, you can make it in 2 hours and would certainly be worth getting down to the beaches, Petco Park and more.
                Sorry, I think I was regurgitating my brother's marketing info... I was just down there last month and was thinking "There's no way I can do this in an hour..."

Comment

As far as I know, they haven't switched over to see-through bags for the games. I think they did with the Chargers but haven't heard if they will for baseball.

There's no good public transportation around LA as much as it would be beneficial. The best bet is the train (Amtrak) which does have some good options along the coast line. There is a train station in the parking lot of Angel Stadium that you could take straight to downtown San Diego and then walk/cab around downtown San Diego where Petco Park is. I've done that a few times and it's easy and convenient. If you stayed in LA, drove down during the day to Anaheim you'd miss most of the bad traffic and could see Anaheim and then train it down to SD.

There are tons of hotel options in LA. You are right though - figure out what you want to see and then pick a spot near that. Downtown LA is pretty close to most of the major things but traffic is a nightmare before 9am and after 4pm. You could stay up in the Hollywood area as well and easily get to most of the major attractions and into Beverly Hills and Santa Monica.

Originally posted by Vecmizer View Post
                  Thanks for the input guys.

I figure SF will be the easier part of the trip (planning and travel). I had forgot about BART. Good to know its good for the A's game. It looks as if the area we want to stay in is about 2-5 miles from AT&T Park. Is a cab the best way or is BART an option for that too?

LA is humongous and it is intimating. Not sure how to attack and plan out the trip. My guess is to find exactly want we want to do and then find a place closest to the majority of things we want. Sounds as if driving to the games will be the big problem. Is there any public transportation to the games in LA? We plan to fly from LA to SF so seeing the sites in between isn't an option. Neither of us enjoy driving long distances, but driving up the coast could be cool. May we will revisit the idea.

One question about stadium policy. Do the stadiums require bags to be see through? They have started doing this here in Michigan so I figure California was already doing it?

2 Hours to San Diego? Hmmm would she be willing to take in 5 games

Comment

Sorry, I think I was regurgitating my brother's marketing info... I was just down there last month and was thinking "There's no way I can do this in an hour..."
                    I wish - would've saved a ton of time in college! I've made Long Beach to SD in just over an hour but that was pushing it for the 95 miles it took. LA to SD is about 120-130 miles.

Comment

Ah, my brother was in San Clemente, maybe I remember him telling me it was an hour from either.

Comment

Ah, my brother was in San Clemente, maybe I remember him telling me it was an hour from either.
                        Makes sense - San Clemente is pretty smack dab in the middle of SD and LA. Beautiful place too.

Comment

If I'm going early & want to eat/drink outside Anaheim Stadium, I'd consider going to "The Catch" off Katella (main st directly north of stadium). Valet park. It's reasonable compared to stadium parking & you can leave it there the entire game (walk to/from). Easy exit too.

It can take a while to get out of the stadium lot if you park inside.

I usually park in business lots outside, just south of stadium off Orangewood. Longer walk, but better parking rate & you'll get on the road MUCH faster than parking inside.

Comment

thanks for this Vec - just last week we were saying "maybe California this summer ..."
                            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Your best bet would be to stay a couple days in the Hollywood area and another couple days in the Santa Monica area since you don't really want to be driving between the two during rush hour. The Santa Monica pier/promenade is always a fan favorite and the Venice boardwalk has to be seen to be believed; the two of those are close to each other so you could do both in a day.

On nights where you're not taking in a ballgame, I'd recommend taking in a comedy show or concert since there are so many venues with so many talented performers (check out goldstar.com for discounted tickets).

Not sure on accommodations, but hotels downtown are pretty pricey so Hollywood's probably your best bet and then stay a little further inland from Santa Monica so you don't get gouged (parking's free for 2 hours in the public lots of Santa Monica or you could take the Big Blue Bus to there and the Venice boardwalk).

For Dodger Stadium, I usually buy the cheapest Loge level seats I can find (usually $20-25 apiece) and then just find an empty row behind home plate and move there - unless there's a good giveaway or the Giants are in town you shouldn't have any problems. Your bag doesn't have to be clear, but there are size restrictions (smaller than a normal-sized backpack).

A few other tips:
                              - try to avoid being on the freeway between 7-9 AM and 4-7 PM and check sigalert.com to see if there is any gridlock before you head out
                              - pay attention to parking signs, there are some odd rules in different areas of LA
                              - the Venice canals are a nice little romantic spot; some rich guy built them to mimic the real Venice canals and they cross through about 9 square blocks
                              - if you're planning on taking a taxi somewhere, use the Uber app instead (it's usually a bit cheaper and quicker)

Comment

Working...
                              X