The usual new computer advice thread: Mac version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The usual new computer advice thread: Mac version

I've decided to replace my Mac that I bought 5 years ago. I'm looking at the different options and I was wondering if there is a significant difference between two of the processors

1) 2.8GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz

2) 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz

Option 2 is better but it is really noticeably better? Option 1 comes with the 13" and option 2 comes with the 15".

My initial thought is to go with the 13", it's what I have already and the size is nice.

I worry about the 15" being to large to carry around and such. It's also more expensive by a good chunk.

Thoughts?
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Option 2 is a quad-core processor which means 4 CPUs hence making it faster vs Option 1 which is only a dual-core processor (2 CPUs). Option 2 allows the computer to do faster and more computations in the CPU versus option 2. Hence you will be faster even thought overall GHz is less.

15" is not large at all. I have a 17" laptop and that is big.

Price is higher due to the larger screen and the quad core. Either way you can't go wrong.
    Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

I'm not going to be doing major processing stuff on the computer so I'm wondering I'd even see a difference in speed.

I agree that 15" isn't that large but I looked at them at the Apple store and they are noticeably different in size. I've been used to the 13" but I guess I'd adjust. The difference in price is $1,100. I'm just not sure it's worth it. The speakers are nicer, which is nice but not really that important.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I found this: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/36...dual-quad-core

Seems that most laptops use dual core i7 because a quad core i7 uses alot more power. Due to that and the $1100 price difference stick with the dual core i7. I would wait until they get the power drain down on a quad core i7 for laptops.
        Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
          I found this: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/36...dual-quad-core

Seems that most laptops use dual core i7 because a quad core i7 uses alot more power. Due to that and the $1100 price difference stick with the dual core i7. I would wait until they get the power drain down on a quad core i7 for laptops.
          Thanks! I do think that the quad core would be overkill, but I don't really know what I'm talking about. One of my frustrations with my current lap top is speed but I will be getting 16 GB of RAM with whatever new option I choose while my current one has 4 GB of RAM.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I just bought a Toshiba 15" and it's insanely light. I imagine the Macs aren't that much different in weight, one way or another. As for the square footage (inchage?) of the 15"...I don't know how you transport it around but the bag I use is a easy to manage size.
            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

That amount of processing power is serious overkill. It will make no difference which of those you pick. Really, unless you are gaming, media editing, or doing high intensity multitasking ... i5's are more than enough.

Personally I'll take the 15 inch Macbook, unless the 13 inch you are looking at is the Macbook Air, in which case portability could be an issue.

Comment

If you're already used to a 13-inch screen, and it's $1100 cheaper, seems like an easy call.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
                  Option 2 is a quad-core processor which means 4 CPUs hence making it faster vs Option 1 which is only a dual-core processor (2 CPUs). Option 2 allows the computer to do faster and more computations in the CPU versus option 2. Hence you will be faster even thought overall GHz is less.

15" is not large at all. I have a 17" laptop and that is big.

Price is higher due to the larger screen and the quad core. Either way you can't go wrong.
                  That's not necessarily true. For folk who don't multitask a lot (i.e. using all those 4 cores at once), a faster (and cheaper) dual core will often be more appropriate. Plus quad cores are more energy intensive ... although the newer ones are much much better at managing their power usage that the early mobile quad cores.

A slower processor and more fast RAM is more important with laptops. And if you can put in an SSD, that is the biggest (and cheapest) upgrade you can make.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                    I just bought a Toshiba 15" and it's insanely light. I imagine the Macs aren't that much different in weight, one way or another. As for the square footage (inchage?) of the 15"...I don't know how you transport it around but the bag I use is a easy to manage size.
                    Just today purchased an new HP laptop. Was looking at a Sony Vaio, but I think the HP was the better all round option, especially since I already have the SSD. The HP allegedly gave me 2 extra hours battery life (I'll believe I when I see it). I think the best value option available was the Acer, but my last laptop (which mysteriously fell down the stairs) was an Acer, and I really wanted something new.

Not enjoying my first day with Windows 8.1 ... I was expecting more. I can't see what they've really done to fix the fundamental problems of Windows 8. You can right click now on the Start button to see a list of what used to be on the Windows 7 Start Menu ... why the hell can't they accept they were wrong and put it back. Meh ... I guess I'll have to download an app to bypass it and return the Start Menu.

Also ... you can't fucking close Windows Apps without Ctrl-Alt-Delete --> Task Manager --> End Task! So dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                      Thanks! I do think that the quad core would be overkill, but I don't really know what I'm talking about. One of my frustrations with my current lap top is speed but I will be getting 16 GB of RAM with whatever new option I choose while my current one has 4 GB of RAM.
                      Are you sure you need a new a 2014 model? All those specs seem like serious overkill (though I suppose it will hold it's value more when it comes to reselling). You might be able to get a 15" 2012 model for the same sort of price as a 13" 2014. I say "might", but it seems more and more that latest tech is cheaper than older models.

I spent 2 hours today looking at the options I had, and older less spec'd laptops without touchscreens were the same price as the newer models with touchscreens. It made no sense. If I wanted to step down to Windows 7, it would have cost me even more.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                        If you're already used to a 13-inch screen, and it's $1100 cheaper, seems like an easy call.
                        It's actually $600 cheaper or $400 cheaper if I choose the 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz instead of the 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz.

The hard drive is a flash drive.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                          Are you sure you need a new a 2014 model? All those specs seem like serious overkill (though I suppose it will hold it's value more when it comes to reselling). You might be able to get a 15" 2012 model for the same sort of price as a 13" 2014. I say "might", but it seems more and more that latest tech is cheaper than older models.

I spent 2 hours today looking at the options I had, and older less spec'd laptops without touchscreens were the same price as the newer models with touchscreens. It made no sense. If I wanted to step down to Windows 7, it would have cost me even more.
                          One thing I like about the new models is that they don't have a CD drive in them anymore making them lighter. There is very little need to have a CD drive and you can always buy an external one.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                            It's actually $600 cheaper or $400 cheaper if I choose the 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz instead of the 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz.

The hard drive is a flash drive.
                            Is the Macbook Air an option? Doesn't sound like you need the full umph of the Macbook Pro, and could get the highest spec'd 13" Air for about the same price.

If I had more money to burn I would have bought myself a Macbook Air without hesitation.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                              Is the Macbook Air an option? Doesn't sound like you need the full umph of the Macbook Pro, and could get the highest spec'd 13" Air for about the same price.

If I had more money to burn I would have bought myself a Macbook Air without hesitation.
                              The Macbook Air does not have a large hard drive for what I want and I am warming up to the idea of having a 15" screen.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                              X