2014 Sochi Winter Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics

We needed a thread ... first, off, nice jackets y'all ...

not surprisingly, I prefer the more conservative look ...

It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

I used to watch the winter and summer games, but since they became the ice skating/gymastics showcase during primetime with everything else on the back burner I don't care very much.

Comment

I think CNBC is going with 50+ hours of curling coverage
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I enjoyed watching the winter games growing up but I can no longer sit through the billion dollar advertisements, cheering for athletes who (if they don't medal) could end up living in poverty until the next games. It's a system of abuse, and I don't want to participate. Instead, I helped send my friend Kristy to Russia, to photograph and speak with local gays and lesbians as part of a project called What Dyke Looks Like. After doing photo shoots and interviews in Toronto, New York, San Fran, and Vancouver, she felt the need to go, and give people a voice to speak out. Seemed like a Kickstarter I couldn't refuse.

Anyway, enjoy the Olympics everyone. Sports! Nationalism! Coca-Cola!
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I am totally into the Olympics and love rooting for AMERICA!

So ridiculous but I love it.
          Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

I plan on watching the Winter Olympics. As much of it as possible. I have a TV schedule all typed up so I know when to record the games on NBC, CNBC, MSNBC, USA, and MSNBC. And I also have Comcast, so I can watch live events when I get time. I won't bother watching Figure Skating or Ice Hockey (unless the men make the gold medal game), but pretty much everything else I plan on watching as much as I can.

I don't plan on getting a ton of sleep for the next couple weeks.
            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Have you seen these Russian bathroom pics yet? The best is the one with room for a viewing audience: http://thechive.com/2014/02/06/condi...ous-32-photos/

Comment

I guess no one saw this coming when they gave the olympics to Russia....
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Curling Starts tomorrow!

Comment

The Cross Country skiers always leave me shaking my head...What kind of unbelievable shape are they in???? I get tired just watching them!!
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                      The Cross Country skiers always leave me shaking my head...What kind of unbelievable shape are they in???? I get tired just watching them!!
                      ah, but the biathalon ... ski like crazy, stop & compose yourself to shoot 5 targets ... lather rinse repeat ...
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                        I enjoyed watching the winter games growing up but I can no longer sit through the billion dollar advertisements, cheering for athletes who (if they don't medal) could end up living in poverty until the next games. It's a system of abuse, and I don't want to participate. Instead, I helped send my friend Kristy to Russia, to photograph and speak with local gays and lesbians as part of a project called What Dyke Looks Like. After doing photo shoots and interviews in Toronto, New York, San Fran, and Vancouver, she felt the need to go, and give people a voice to speak out. Seemed like a Kickstarter I couldn't refuse.

Anyway, enjoy the Olympics everyone. Sports! Nationalism! Coca-Cola!
                        I was thinking about this while catching snippets on the weekend ... while the country-medal count thing is obviously a part of the games, the personal competition stuff is way more compelling. Great stories on the weekend from the Great White North - our first medal was won by a guy with a cracked rib (snowboarding), two sisters take gold-silver in moguls (which as a casual skier I love watching - I don't know how their knees don't explode mid-run) ... lots to appreciate, the olympics can bring out the best & worst of sport. There's lots more interesting stories to come ... don't throw the baby out with the bathwater tw!

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                          ah, but the biathalon ... ski like crazy, stop & compose yourself to shoot 5 targets ... lather rinse repeat ...
                          "I don't get the biathlon. Combining two sports that have nothing to do with each other. It's like, run a marathon, then stop and...fish" - Norm MacDonald (obviously, it's funnier when you picture Norm's speech pattern)

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                            I watched part of the men's biathlon with two guys who never even heard of the sport (city folks...geesh). They both shoot on ranges a fair bit, and were just amazed that anyone could even get close to the targets after skiing like that.

It must be one of the hardest sports out there.
                            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                              "I don't get the biathlon. Combining two sports that have nothing to do with each other. It's like, run a marathon, then stop and...fish" - Norm MacDonald (obviously, it's funnier when you picture Norm's speech pattern)
                              I used to wonder about that too ... but think about hunting in the far north ... trying to take down a polar bear while being stalked by a pack of wolves through the arctic tundra ... how's that for a training regimen ...

Comment

Working...
                              X