Amanda Knox... Extradition or No?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amanda Knox... Extradition or No?

So,let's say that Italy asks for Amanda Knox, guilty this week (but not last week and who knows next week...) of murder in Italy... should the US comply and extradite her to face prison there?

We do have an extradition treaty with Italy, but it is also true that the Italians, like several European nations, have refused to extradite murderers to America if they faced the death penalty because Europe doesn't like the death penalty anymore. In America we have the principle of freedom from double jeopardy, which the Italian courts have clearly violated in their... interesting?... proceedings.

So, should the US honor a notional extradition request from the Italians should they make one?
    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
    So,let's say that Italy asks for Amanda Knox, guilty this week (but not last week and who knows next week...) of murder in Italy... should the US comply and extradite her to face prison there?

We do have an extradition treaty with Italy, but it is also true that the Italians, like several European nations, have refused to extradite murderers to America if they faced the death penalty because Europe doesn't like the death penalty anymore. In America we have the principle of freedom from double jeopardy, which the Italian courts have clearly violated in their... interesting?... proceedings.

So, should the US honor a notional extradition request from the Italians should they make one?
    Quite simply--no, we should not.

Comment

I agree with nots. No, we should not extradite her. However, if I was her, I would be very careful where she goes, as people have been know to go missing. Horrible story. You have to feel bad for the victim's family, but also for Amanda Knox as well.
      "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
      - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
      - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Why don't we just work a trade? Her for one of the murderers we want? :P
        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Nobody would give a rats ass if she wasn't a quasi attractive white gal...
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
            Shrug, it is a pretty interesting situation from a legal perspective.
            And no one outside of a law class would ever hear about it if she wasn't a young white girl...law, and what the media fixates on are vastly different things.

Frankly, I don't know how we'd expect any cooperation from any other country if we don't honor their legal system as we expect them to honor ours.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              And no one outside of a law class would ever hear about it if she wasn't a young white girl...law, and what the media fixates on are vastly different things.

Frankly, I don't know how we'd expect any cooperation from any other country if we don't honor their legal system as we expect them to honor ours.
              As Bob stated, many European countries don't/won't extradite a murder because of our stance on capital punishment (I'm not a believer in the death penalty). So it would seem there isn't cooperation from other nations.
              "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
              - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
              - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                As Bob stated, many European countries don't/won't extradite a murder because of our stance on capital punishment (I'm not a believer in the death penalty). So it would seem there isn't cooperation from other nations.
                Which makes my point perfectly...if we don't honor their laws, why would we expect them to honor ours? At least with the death penalty there a tangible reason for another country not to extradite to the US, a differing view on what constitutes double jeopardy doesn't quite rise to the same level as a human life.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I've decided to say...send her away. Murderers and all criminals should face penalty for their crimes.
                  Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                    Nobody would give a rats ass if she wasn't a quasi attractive white gal...
                    I disagree, especially now with the whole "50 Shades of Gray" popularity. Possible murder, out of a possible foursome, bondage, and other assorted sex games? That sells regardless of race.

To your other point, Italy has been notoriously non-compliant in supporting anti-racketeering and organized crime investigations for about 20 years (and not just with us, they drive the Germans nuts, too), and getting anyone extradited from there takes years. As someone else noted, they also will never extradite anyone who may risk death penalty sentencing. Add that this case fails on burden of proof being met, chain of evidence integrity, and possible double jeopardy, and I'd tell 'em to pound sand.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I think you might be right, but I'd hope that the United States would act (or fail to act) on a legal basis rather than a retributive basis. One-upsmanship has no place in foreign policy.
                      This case has all the bases covered.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        This case has all the bases covered.
                        this site being a baseball forum (mostly), i c wat u did thar ...
                        "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

One-upsmanship has no place in foreign policy.
                          Has a less reality based statement ever been made? N ot meant as a shot at you, ElD, but c'mon-- foreign policy has been about gamesmanship, brinksmanship and one upping since... well, since there were nations to relate to one another, no?
                          "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                            Has a less reality based statement ever been made?
                            Oh, yeah. I'm sure I have once or twice on this board.

Though I agree with you that one-upsmanship has a significant place in foreign policy.

Comment

I don't think we should extradite her.

But I wonder if there are precedents where we did expedite someone who was convicted under similarly sketchy circumstances. I would be probably OK with our national policy being the slippery slope of "we're not doing this if it's clearly invalid" but I would not be OK with us violating precedent because she's young and attractive.

Comment

Working...
                              X