• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coachella 2014

Lineup announced yesterday...

Of interest to me:

The Replacements (duh)
    The Cult - even though the last time I saw them, they were just going through the motions. Even though Billy Duffy is a guitar God. Thev'e re-added James Stevenson (Gene Loves Jezebel, The Alarm, and other different incarnations of 80's rock bands) as a second guitar, so that might add some oomph.
    Bad Manners - Really hoping they play some local dates. Buster Bloodvessel is a fookin nchamp! Right, heyelander?
    Fishbone - Always a good time. Highly recommend the documentary "Everyday Sunshine" that came out a few years ago. Sad to see someone so influential and respected as Angelo Moore having to live in his mom's house.
    Neutral Milk Hotel - Love the album, didn't know he was out of the nuthouse.
    Afghan Wigs - Glad Dulli stopped doing all his side projects. Gentleman is one of the finest albums ever
    Anti-Flag - should be good for a row
    Queens of the Stone Age - One of the last, good hard rock acts to come around in the last decade or so
    Pet Shop Boys - I've always been kind of meh on them, but would still be interested in seeing them one day
    MGMT - dug their one album I have of theirs. Afraid of being overrun by hipster douches though
    Fatboy Slim - My wife would love to see him, but I'm out of the ravey scene and don't feel like having glow sticks shoved up my bum and forced to chug orange juice to avoid dying from e
    Cage the Elephant - Again, like what I hear and I have heard good things from friends, but I still fear the bearded, sweater-wearing crowd
    Beck - Completely respect him as an artist and would be one I'd like to "check of the list"
    Motorhead - Fuck yeah!
    Superchunk - A band that I've always wanted to get more in to but haven't for some reason.

Most of the rest of the bands I have no gaddamned clue who they are (obviously, I know who some of the biggies like Muse and Outkast are, but I've no interest in them.

Seeing Neutral Milk Hotel in a small club in May!

Killer headliners ... especially Outkast. The others aint to shabby either: Arcade Fire and Muse. All three should own the big stage.

Of the smaller fonts: Jon Spencer Blues Explosion and Mogwai.

Seems a bit top heavy, or I'm just getting more and more out of touch. Probably bit of both.

Comment

Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
      Neutral Milk Hotel - Love the album, didn't know he was out of the nuthouse.
      He's been touring for a little while now.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        or I'm just getting more and more out of touch. Probably bit of both.
        Oh, it gets worse. I used to think I was hip to the scene. When the hell did I turn in to gramps? You goddamn hippies with your long hair and your dope smoking...

Get off my lawn!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
          Oh, it gets worse. I used to think I was hip to the scene. When the hell did I turn in to gramps? You goddamn hippies with your long hair and your dope smoking...

Get off my lawn!!!
          The dope-smoking hippies are now the ones yelling at the kids to get off their lawns.

I hate to say it, but I think I've seen my last all-day outdoor festival - too much exposure to drunken stupid humanity for too long a stretch. I'd rather go to a club, rock it for two hours, then go home and play Call Of Duty.
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
            The dope-smoking hippies are now the ones yelling at the kids to get off their lawns.

I hate to say it, but I think I've seen my last all-day outdoor festival - too much exposure to drunken stupid humanity for too long a stretch. I'd rather go to a club, rock it for two hours, then go home and play Call Of Duty.
            I'm with you, sheep. As interesting as some of the acts have been at Coachella in recent years, I just can't bring myself to go. I remember the moment when I said to myself that I'd never go to an all day outdoor festival - Hootenanny Festival (rockabilly, roots rock festival in So Cal) with some of my favorite acts: Reverend Horton Heat, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Necromantix, Horrorpops, Supersuckers, Lee Rocker (from the Stray Cats)The Blasters...by the end of the day I just wanted to get the hell out of there and not deal with any more drunken idiots and having my personal space violated by sweaty man boobs

Comment

Holy smokes, there are like 500 bands listed there - crazy!

Frank Turner, Fatboy Slim, Arcade Fire, Haim, Neko Case, Queens of the Stone Age, Lorde, Ms Mr, and a bunch of other bands/artists that I have heard one or two songs but would love to check out.

seriously, you guys didn't know we're all old???
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

You mean, a bunch of guys who hang out on fantasy baseball message boards to participate in music drafts don't like large crowds of people? Shocking!

But in actuality I've probably been to my last big festival and that was back in Phish's Festival 8 2009.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

If I was looking for something lighter I might check out Ellie Goulding ... won't be everyone's cuppa, but I kinda like this tune

Comment

Last year was the first time in a while I didn't make it out to Coachella. Still undecided about this year - I've already seen Arcade Fire and Muse as headliners at Coachella and I've never really gotten into Outkast. Like the rest of you, I'm starting to fall out of touch a bit and I can't get into the EDM thing so Coachella is no longer essential for me. Still might go, hopefully by getting a ticket at below face value.

Bands I'm excited about:
                    Foxygen - love their latest album; problem is, they might go on too early in the day when it's hard to convince a group to head to the venue
                    Arcade Fire - it'll be hard to top the last time I saw them headline, but it should still be a great set
                    Neko Case - big fan, would be a great late afternoon choice
                    Queens of the Stone Age - I don't actually know much of their music, but I hear their live sets are awesome and hard rock always sounds good live
                    Sleigh Bells - they were awesome when I saw them a few years back, I just wish their 2nd album was better (haven't listened to the latest one yet)
                    Cage the Elephant - they rocked when I saw them a few years ago
                    City and Colour - another good late afternoon option
                    Beck - missed out on his set at Outside Lands a couple years ago, would be nice to see him
                    Neutral Milk Hotel - got to see Jeff Mangum at Coachella a couple years ago when he pretty much just played NMH songs and it was awesome
                    Motorhead - like I said in the 70s draft commentary, I'm not a big fan, but they do kick ass live

Comment

Will Arcade Fire try to enforce their "dress code" at a festival?

Will Lemmy be able to handle the heat (or even make it there at all)? He's had health problems recently that have led to cancelled tourdates.
                      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                        Will Arcade Fire try to enforce their "dress code" at a festival?

Will Lemmy be able to handle the heat (or even make it there at all)? He's had health problems recently that have led to cancelled tourdates.
                        I'm not sure my suit would be very comfortable in the desert heat Turns out that whole thing was overblown anyway, they only recommended that people dress up, it wasn't mandatory.

Hopefully some of the "surprise" additions will be game-changers - it'd be awesome if someone like the Pixies got a last-minute add.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                          seriously, you guys didn't know we're all old???
                          My problem isn't that I'm old, it's that my friends are old, and it's getting tough to find a date for the concerts I want to see. You ought to see the baffled looks I get now when I ask who wants to go see Disco Biscuits and Infected Mushroom. I mean, OK, I know you don't know the bands, but they're playing right here in the part of town where we all live, and the tickets are cheap, and it's on a Saturday night, and I'm vouching that it'll be a good time - you'd really rather sit at home and watch TV like you do every other night of your life? Jeez.

And now what am I supposed to do, go to the show by myself and be the creepy old guy that everybody thinks is a cop? Sadly, that is becoming my only option for seeing live music.
                          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

That's one of my problems with Coachella as well (at least with the group I usually go with) - they're into more of the electronica stuff while I want to see the rock bands so I spend most of the festival by myself. While it makes it easier to wiggle your way toward the front, it gets a bit lonely.

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                              And now what am I supposed to do, go to the show by myself and be the creepy old guy that everybody thinks is a cop? Sadly, that is becoming my only option for seeing live music.
                              I attend about 90% of shows solo nowadays. I run into people that I can talk to, sometimes.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                              X