*** 1970's Album Draft - Draft Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1.11 The Wall - Pink Floyd (1979)

In that first month of its release in Dec. 1979, before the stage show, the #1 single, the movie, the scary animations, the solo versions.... this was simply the new Pink Floyd album, in a plain white sleeve, with nothing but your imagination to go by.

I remember the first time I heard it, in my freshman dorm... the DJ on my college station suddenly announced that he had the new Floyd LP, and I ran to put a cassette in and tape it. He played "Hey You", "Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 3" (not the hit, the Side 2 version), and of all things... "The Trial". You can imagine, me being a total Floyd fanatic, hearing 'The Trial' without any inkling of what to expect... it was SO outside of anything they had ever done, not just doing a Gilbert & Sullivan pastiche but complete with emotive theatrical singing from Mr. Grumpypants himself, Roger Waters!

After my wtf?!! reaction wore off, I realised this was going to be the greatest LP of all time. I wasn't far off.

One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

1.12 Who's Next - The Who (1971)

When I was in high school I had a running list of what I thought were the greatest albums of all time, and this was usually #1. It has three of the Who's most legendary songs (Baba O'Riley, Behind Blue Eyes, Won't Get Fooled Again) -- but almost all of the other songs are on the same level (Bargain and The Song Is Over are among my very favorites). It marked one of the first uses of synthesizers in rock, and they give the songs a warmth and coloring that sets them well apart from the band's previous material, and from anything else that was being done in 1971. Tommy was considered a "masterpiece," but Who's Next is an even stronger example of artistic growth; an exponential improvement in writing, production and performance.

As you probably know, the 9 songs on Who's Next were cobbled together from a project called Lifehouse, which was supposed to be a double concept album about a universe in which rock music was banned. So, as you might expect, even some of the OUTTAKES from this record are amazing.

This is the 1995 reissue with 7 bonus tracks.

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

1.14 Aqualung -- Jethro Tull (1971)

Great Album, saw them live a few times. As a kid, this was something completely different than anything else......
        Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

1.15 Unknown Pleasures - Joy Division (1979)

That would make for a cool T-shirt.

Going for positional scarcity here, and will relish in the knowledge I'll really piss off at least a couple drafters. What an eerie record.

I like She's Lost Control, starting around 20:30, best of all.

Classic rock, I scoff at thee!
          Last edited by Pogues; 01-02-2014, 02:22 AM.
          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Aqualung....excellent pick!.

Oops wrong place...
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

1.16 Moondance - Van Morrison (1970)

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

1.17 Blood on the Tracks - Bob Dylan (1975)

Comment

FOR LUCKY

1.18 Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs - Derek and the Dominos (1970)

Comment

This pick makes no sense from a strategic standpoint since I'd be perfectly happy with at least three of his other albums, but this is my favorite album of all-time so I'm not going to risk losing it (with 34 picks until my next I can't assume anything will be there).

2.01 Hunky Dory - David Bowie (1971)

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

2.02 Bat Out of Hell - Meat Loaf (1977)

It's more than the music, it's the memories. I don't know if it's my Dad's all-time favorite album, but it is the most irresistible. He loves going to yard sales (or whatever you call them...see that dialect quiz for assistance with synonyms) and explaining to me why he had 8 LP copies of this album "Every time I see one at a yard sale, I just have to buy it. It's like a disease or an addiction." He cut down the number he had about 10 years ago, giving me the second best combination copy (record and cover) keeping the best for himself.

It's not just about the story though. I love this album, and if you told me I could grab only one album from the 1970s to listen, it's this one. It's one of the few 70s albums I actually own (A Night at the Opera is another), but then again, I wonder who doesn't own a copy. 14x Platinum in the US, 7x Platinum in the UK, 2x Diamond in Canada, Platinum in Germany, 17x Platinum in New Zealand, and 24x Platinum in Australia. I'm guessing if you live in an English speaking country, you know someone who owns this album even if you don't. And if you don't, you know I do now.

The Jim Steinman/Meat Loaf combination is gold...or actually platinum, this album was produced by Todd Rundgren.
                      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

2.03 Hotel California - Eagles (1976)

The addition of Joe Walsh sent this group to the stratosphere. The opening of Hotel California defined the year. Life in the fast lane and New kid in town are great tracks. Sadly I never got to see them live.
                        Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

2.05 Sticky Fingers - The Rolling Stones (1971)

There's something for everyone to like here. Trademark rockers (Brown Sugar, Bitch), gorgeous strung-out ballads (Wild Horses, Sister Morphine, Moonlight Mile), country romps (Dead Flowers), heroin-decadent goodness (Sway), deep blues (I Got the Blues, a cover of You Gotta Move) and, for their first time on a studio record, some serious virtuosic jamming, thanks to Mick Taylor (Can't You Hear Me Knocking). It's quite the adventure musically, lyrically, and atmospherically.

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

2.06 Led Zeppelin III - Led Zeppelin (1970)

Had to grab my Zeppelin now or never!
                            Last edited by ManCalledFoot; 01-02-2014, 02:56 PM.
                            One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

2.07 This Year's Model - Elvis Costello (1977)

forget your prog rock and cartoons (the bay city rollers or sex pistols)

Comment

2.08 The Stranger - Billy Joel (1977)

There isn't a track on this album that I don't absolutely love. "Just the Way you Are", "Movin' Out", "Only the Good Die Young", "She's Always a Woman" are all huge hits.

"Vienna" is one of my favorite 3 or 4 songs of all time.

I might be reaching a bit if this were solely a "Best Album" list, but I'm not sure it'll make it back to me if I don't take it here.

Comment

Working...
                                X