No announcement yet.

Piers Morgan In The Firing Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cricket is awesome. So is curling. Stupid America not having them.

Comment

There is a curling club about 10 miles from my home here in Minnesota. They have a bar attached to it and in the summer there are 2 softball fields behind it. I havent tried the curling thing but it does look like fun.
      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
      Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
        I would have bet cash money that you'd respond to this thread with something nearly exactly like this.
        I'd be equally happy if say, Bill O'Reilly, smarted off about Yankees play and then stood in the box against CC Sabathia and got knocked down a few times with high, tight fastballs.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

That may have been the most pussified thing that I've ever heard of. A professional repeatedly hitting an old man with a hard object? I don't care that the guy was retired...if he had any balls, be simply would have pitched to him without hitting him repeatedly. Once would have made the point...
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            That may have been the most pussified thing that I've ever heard of. A professional repeatedly hitting an old man with a hard object? I don't care that the guy was retired...if he had any balls, be simply would have pitched to him without hitting him repeatedly. Once would have made the point...
            From a baseball perspective I can see your argument. But in cricket, playing the short ball directed at the body is basic technique. It's one of the macho aspects of the game. It's not quite the gentleman's game that neutrals think it is. In the current Ashes series England are playing so poorly - they have played the short ball like amateurs, and so many batsmen have been suckered out playing ridiculous shots.

The thing with the short ball is that it shouldn't get a good batter out. If the batter plays it well, the bowler is just wasting energy, and it shouldn't intimidate a seasoned professional.

Piers Morgan called out the batters on Twitter calling they were cowards for playing the short ball so poorly. He could do it better apparently. That was the context of the Twitter row that led to the situation. He asked for it, he wanted it, he got it.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              I'd be equally happy if say, Bill O'Reilly, smarted off about Yankees play and then stood in the box against CC Sabathia and got knocked down a few times with high, tight fastballs.
              A little chin music might finally get that smug look off Rachel Maddow's face, too.

How about this? Let's have a version of Home Run Derby, with the fences set at 150 feet--Maddow, Matthews, and O'Donnell hitting left-handed and to left field only of course, O'Reilly, Hannity, and Megyn Kelly hitting righty and to RF only. CNN to broadcast live. Viewers call in pledges, 80% of the proceeds to the charity of the winners' choice, 20% to that chosen by the losers.
              Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
              -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                Ah, yes. Call out people, say you can do better, have your bluff called, get your a** kicked with everything by the rules of the game, have the professionals show it's not so easy, then claim it's unfair.

Morgan taunted the bull and got the horns (no pun intended). Game over.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                -- William James

Comment

my brother does competitive curling. he goes several times a week to a big arena (a left-over from the SLC winter olympics). then again, he goes to a ukelele jam session twice a week, so it could be argued that he's a bit out on the fringe .

i love the concept of curling and think it'd be fun to actually *do* it, but watching it just bores the hell out of me, i have to admit.
                  "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

yeah, curling is definitely a fun, social pastime ... comparable to bowling leagues in terms of pace & mingle-ability.

but I virtually never watch it - unless I need a good nap on a Sunday afternoon.
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                      yeah, curling is definitely a fun, social pastime ... comparable to bowling leagues in terms of pace & mingle-ability.

but I virtually never watch it - unless I need a good nap on a Sunday afternoon.
                      What? You mean they have Curling on Canadian TV when the Olympics aren't on?

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                        What? You mean they have Curling on Canadian TV when the Olympics aren't on?
                        Canada is not just the USA with more snow and less summer and people. They have their own rules, likes, and dislikes. Haven't been up there in years, may get there this summer. Wonderful place IMO.

-- William James

Comment

Working...
                        X