Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    Some great recent picks:
    - All the Young Dudes -- never listened to the whole album, I'll give it a shot
    - American Woman -- this was on my shortlist for maybe the last 10 rounds. "No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature" is my favorite Guess Who song.
    - The World is a Ghetto -- another on my list
    - Dixie Chicken -- the live album (Waiting for Columbus) has become the Little Feat standard, but I had this one on my list as well
    - two other Grinch picks -- Candy-O and Book of Dreams were also on my list

I'm a Hall & Oates fan, so I was eager to listen to Erik's "War Babies" pick, which I hadn't before. Meh, I kinda skipped over most of it. Disappointing.

H&O finally made the Rock Hall of Fame this year, this after being eligible since 1997. From what I understand, they never even made the ballot until recently!
    I like Hall and Oates, but indicting them into the RRHoF is a joke.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Gen X and Billy Idol are both way underrated!

Love John Cale's 'Paris 1919', that one was way down my list, never thought anyone would go there.

"Candy-O' was pretty damn good in retrospect; at the time it was considered kind of a disappointment (how could they top their debut?). "Shoo-Be-Do/Candy-O", "Nightspots", all that stuff kicked ass; they were shit-hot back then. Then it all went wrong the next year with "Panorama".

I'm surprised "Court & Spark" lasted that long, that one was huge back in '74. The only Joni Mitchell LP I ever owned (along with "Blue").
      One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

I'm a Hall & Oates fan, so I was eager to listen to Erik's "War Babies" pick, which I hadn't before. Meh, I kinda skipped over most of it. Disappointing.
        It's really a Todd Rundgren album in disguise. If you don't like Todd Rundgren, you probably won't like War Babies. If you like Hall and Oates, you might not like War Babies because it bears no resemblance to their other work.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Speaking of The Cars, did you ever see Benjamin Orr and Ric Ocasek's early folk group Milkwood?:

One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• The playlist of Still Bill is missing this one, one of his best songs, for some reason:

Comment

• It was also missing this one:

Comment

• I'm going to listen to A LOT more of Bill Withers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                  I'm going to listen to A LOT more of Bill Withers.
                  That should be a goal for everyone. Still pissed that I didn't get Still Bill.

Three mid-period songs you need to find on Youtube: "You," "I Wish You Well" and "Railroad Man."

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                    That should be a goal for everyone. Still pissed that I didn't get Still Bill.

Three mid-period songs you need to find on Youtube: "You," "I Wish You Well" and "Railroad Man."
                    I figured it was somewhere on your list and no one else's; it's a shame how unrecognized he is.
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      I figured it was somewhere on your list and no one else's; it's a shame how unrecognized he is.
                      The documentary Still Bill is a must-see. His entry into and exit from the music industry were both so incredibly atypical.

Comment

H&O finally made the Rock Hall of Fame this year, this after being eligible since 1997. From what I understand, they never even made the ballot until recently!
                        for those that missed - these are great - and I picked a 70s/80s guy but check the archives

@livefromdarylshouse | Check out my links to (Watch All Videos, Shop Official Merchandise, Upcoming Shows).

Hall and Oates were a lot of fun live in the early 80s - I saw them and ELO together

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer

Comment

• Sad Wings of Destiny is friggin awesome, I was hoping someone would break the Priest cherry so I didn't have to decide. There's still another one of their classic albums out there, but I have a feeling it will lay dormant.

All the Young Dudes is another great one - hard to choose between it and Mott.

I wish I had more time to listen to all these other picks, I'll have to catch up before this thing's over.

Comment

• "Call Me" I discovered during the draft. Al Green is another artist I have lots of songs by, but no albums ... until now that is.

"Neu!" is a record I have on a very long instrumental playlist. If you didn't know better, you'd think it was made sometime in the last 10 years and not 1971. One of those records that keeps popping up on "best of" lists, you eventually have to give it a spin. If you like Radiohead's later stuff or Sigur Ros, you'll probably dig this.

Comment

• Surprisingly I only have 2 records from 1977-1979, and 1 of those was material mostly from the early/mid 70's (Marquee Moon). Just too much competition for that stuff in the draft.

Comment

Working...
                                X