No announcement yet.

*** 1970's Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miles is so deep I wasn't planning to take Bitches Brew but it's an incredible album no doubt.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
      Man, Sheep couldn't have been more wrong about me not liking his next pick. I fucking LOVE Sly and the Family Stone.
      Riot wasn't the original plan for this round; I called an audible there. The new wave classic I was going to take is replaceable. Riot is unique - once it's gone, there's really no comp for it.
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
        The new wave classic I was going to take is replaceable.
        Hmmm, hope it's not the one I'm thinking...

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
          3.12 Parallel Lines - Blondie (1978)
          Nice. This was definitely on my radar

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
            Perhaps oddly, I can just take a total pass on both The Clash and The Ramones, particularly the latter. Neither has ever really been my bag at all, for whatever reason.
            That is surprising since you like a lot of 90s punk that pretty much wouldn't exist with both those bands. Not attacking you, I guess I'm agreeing with you that it's odd. I'm sort of the same way with the 90s punk I like. My feeling with that stuff is that most of it sounds the same and you need to draw a line somewhere and pick the bands that really speak to you.
            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Parallel Lines was right at the top of my list. I was hoping it'd make it back based on the lack of love for Blondie in these parts.

Dang. Nice pick.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                Nice. This was definitely on my radar
                I have a different Blonde album on my radar but not make the top 15.
                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Hmmm, hope it's not the one I'm thinking...
                  I sacrificed it to get Riot. There's no way it's coming back around to us. Unless these guys go off on some crazy R&B or Neil Young jag.
                  "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                  "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                  "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• I love the fact that Debbie Harry seems like the most amateurish unrehearsed front person ever.

I'm just gonna stand here, maybe move awkwardly from foot to foot, look stoned, stare into the camera ... and you're gonna love it.

Too cool for school.

"Lip-syncing? Maybe if I can be bothered ... "

Comment

• You guys INSIST on having my pick come up on my commute every time. Will select in a minute.
                      One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• I was juggling between Bitches Brew and Blondie. I opted to go with Bitches Brew because I didn't think it'd make it past DMT.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                          I love the fact that Debbie Harry seems like the most amateurish unrehearsed front person ever.

I'm just gonna stand here, maybe move awkwardly from foot to foot, look stoned, stare into the camera ... and you're gonna love it.

Too cool for school.

"Lip-syncing? Maybe if I can be bothered ... "
                          Definitely the "too cool for school" vibe is what was intended and what makes her so compelling.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
                            You guys INSIST on having my pick come up on my commute every time. Will select in a minute.
                            * Hits refresh on the draft page every 0.42 seconds *
                            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Definitely the "too cool for school" vibe is what was intended and what makes her so compelling.
                              That degree of awkwardness cannot be manufactured She was interviewed on TV a few years back, and was cringing with embarrassment when they forced her to watch a highlights reel.

Like you said, it's probably part of her appeal.

I wonder how the classic rock guys who lived during the era approach Blondie. Most of the mid-2000's indie bands pretty much just ripped them off.

Comment

• I expected Goodbye Yellow Brick Road to go much sooner.

Comment

Working...
                                X