*** 1970's Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    I'm so jaded about Boston since all their subsequent stuff either sucked or was pale imitations of the original.
    Didn't realize you were a Bowie fan, why didn't you participate in the Bowie draft? Ziggy is considered by most to be his best but I have it a close 2nd behind Hunky Dory and 3rd is just a nose back.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Abraxas is a phenomenal album. "Hope You're Feeling Better" is my favorite Santana song. Every song is great on it. "Se a Cabo" is another all time fave from them.

Love the Boston pick..They were on my list.

Cheap Trick is so damn cool..Bun E. is the coolest drummer in rock and roll!
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I'm so jaded about Boston since all their subsequent stuff either sucked or was pale imitations of the original.
        While their next album wasn't nearly up to these standards, Don't Look Back is a killer song though.

Comment

I disagree.. They had some excellent songs after the debut album..at least for my tastes
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            While their next album wasn't nearly up to these standards, Don't Look Back is a killer song though.
            I actually prefer the second album...but that will be a discussion for later

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
              Revo, you skipped Lucky...I'm certain he wasn't taking Boston but we should wait til Johnny posts his pick.
              Whoops, didn't realize Lucky was skipped. I'll leave my pick up but Lucky can have it if he wants

Comment

• I never listened to the Stooges because I always thought of Iggy as a moron. The songs are pretty good..but I still think he's a maroon (as Bugs would say)

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  Didn't realize you were a Bowie fan, why didn't you participate in the Bowie draft? Ziggy is considered by most to be his best but I have it a close 2nd behind Hunky Dory and 3rd is just a nose back.
                  I ran really hot and cold on Bowie; there's a couple out there that got rave critical reviews, but I just really don't like. Plus, I have to draft by smartphone while at work, which I wasn't willing to do for Bowie. For 70s LPs, yes. I do like Hunky Dory, but I think Ziggy is by far his best. Add that the instructions on the back of the LP were taped over numerous stereos (including mine) during college days, well, that made it perfect for me.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Boy, Boston's debut is a killer. "Rock and Roll Band" traffics too much in cliche for me, but the rest of the songs rock, but Longtime/Peace of Mind are just great, and of course More than a Feeling. That's a nice one where I can't imagine we'll see the 2nd album from them (or the others, not being 70s picks).

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                      Whoops, thought I picked 6th.
                      He was randomized into the 6th slot after the first round. You now pick 7th.
                      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                        Abraxas is a phenomenal album. "Hope You're Feeling Better" is my favorite Santana song. Every song is great on it. "Se a Cabo" is another all time fave from them.
                        Thanks, Mith. You scared the crap out of me when you took III - I thought you snaked Abraxas on me. Not that III isn't great, but I simply love Abraxas. Se a Cabo is a personal fav. And even if it's overplayed on classic rock stations, Black Magic Woman still remains incredible.

Your T.Rex pick is a cool one - I have them on my list, but was admittedly looking at them later.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Boston's debut was on my list but its radio overplay made it tough for me to pull the trigger. It was one of the first albums I ever purchased and I was blown away that every single song got played on the radio.

Comment

• Boston's debut is the greatest achievement of mid/late '70s "corporate rock." Yes, it may have been produced for maximum slickness and earwormage, but all the songs are damn good, and Tom Scholz was one of the few true visionaries in that genre.

Oddly, I had it on cassette, where the order was all messed up -- some record companies did that so as to keep the lengths of the sides as equal as possible and minimize fast forwarding and rewinding -- so Revo's breakdown of sides is different from what I knew. Side 1: More than a Feeling, Peace of Mind, Something About You, Let Me Take You Home Tonight. Side 2: Rock and Roll Band, Smokin', Hitch a Ride, Foreplay/Long Time.
                            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• I didn't want Raw Power. Really. I didn't. I didn't want it. I did not want Raw Power. Did not. No. No.

I DIDN'T WANT RAW POWER!
                              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                                I would have bet the farm before the draft started that Bucky would have both Thin Lizzy and Cheap Trick in his roster. Was even thinking about taking In Color just to be a dick. :-)

TheGaffer making my decision easier for my next pick. Nice one! I'm fairly certain that Revo won't be snaking any of my picks from me ;-)
                                I guess I am that predictable. I'm sure damn glad you didn't pick In Color and if you did I would be furious.
                                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                                X