No announcement yet.

*** 1970's Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revo I think you're right, and now that The Stranger has been plucked, I don't imagine we'll see much for him for a while.

Born to Run, meanwhile, slipped much further than I expected - had that as a top 5 consensus pick.

Comment

• The Specials - meh. Sounds extremely dated and amateurish, especially "Doesn't Make it Alright". I guess it might sound better in a club with a drink or two....but it would still be meh. I'm beginning to understand why you guys don't like Rush

Born to Run - While i like a lot of his 70's material, i never bought any of his albums. "Thunder Road" is an all-time classic..better than the title cut.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by TheGaffer View Post
        Revo I think you're right, and now that The Stranger has been plucked, I don't imagine we'll see much for him for a while.

Born to Run, meanwhile, slipped much further than I expected - had that as a top 5 consensus pick.
        The Boss isn't universally loved around here. With another random crowd, Born To Run would probably be a first rounder, possibly early first. Nebraska runs Born To Run fairly close as my favourite Springsteen record.

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
          Grab your ankles for my next pick, buddy...
          Wow. That was brutal.

Nice pick!
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• I smell the beginnings of a Springsteen run.
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              The Specials - meh. Sounds extremely dated and amateurish, especially "Doesn't Make it Alright". I guess it might sound better in a club with a drink or two....but it would still be meh.

Born to Run - While i like a lot of his 70's material, i never bought any of his albums. "Thunder Road" is an all-time classic..better than the title cut.
              Backstreets or Thunder Road for me. Not as big on Jungleland as most hardcore Bruce fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                Of course, Billy Joel would in a perfect world be a high pick for me, but I suspect this is a relatively anti-Billy Joel crowd. The Stranger is an amazing album, but not my favorite of his in this period, .
                Relatively, but there are some fans of '70s pop here.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                  The Boss isn't universally loved around here. With another random crowd, Born To Run would probably be a first rounder, possibly early first. Nebraska runs Born To Run fairly close as my favourite Springsteen record.
                  Fooled me with that pick! Thought revo would be taking Born To Run.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• This will get bloody quickly IMO ... the first 6 rounds will be brutal.

Comment

Lifted from Alan Byrne's biography of the band (from wiki):

It seems unusual hearing yanks using the word "wanker" ... Gary Moore may very well have been a wanker, I don't know much about him. He always seemed like a nice enough guy to me.
                      I used wanker for your benefit. Moore didn't understand that Thin Lizzy was bigger than any one member of the band. Each guitar solo was still all members playing with each other. When he was in the band and did a guitar solo it was as if he was off on his own doing his own thing. That's not Thin Lizzy. Fuck him.

As for the founding members, that sounds like all of them were founding members. The main Wiki page for Thin Lizzy makes it sound like it was Lynott and Downey, as I said.

Thin Lizzy are an Irish rock band formed in Dublin in 1969. Two of the founding members, drummer Brian Downey and bass guitarist/vocalist Phil Lynott, met while still in school. Lynott assumed the role of frontman and led them throughout their recording career of twelve studio albums.
                      But either way, they are still one of the the best bands ever.
                      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        It's another record I wanted someone else to take away from me. Didn't want the decision. But it definitely won't make it back in the 3rd, and there is a chance all the albums on my short list will make it back. I guess the bigger question is, for how long will they keep making it back ... so in picking Born To Run I'm possibly losing 1 or more from my more personal list.
                        Last edited by johnnya24; 01-02-2014, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                          I used wanker for your benefit. Moore didn't understand that Thin Lizzy was bigger than any one member of the band. Each guitar solo was still all members playing with each other. When he was in the band and did a guitar solo it was as if he was off on his own doing his own thing. That's not Thin Lizzy. Fuck him.
                          Said like a real fan(atic)

Comment

Said like a real fan(atic)
                            You got that right!

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Born to Run and Ramones are two more albums off my list.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                                I thought Revo would be taking Born to Run in the FIRST round.

It was the other album that I was sure was going in the first round but that I had no interest in. As you may know from previous drafts, I'm just not that into Springsteen.

Comment

Working...
                                X