0%
    1990s
    0%
    2000s
    0%
    None of the above
    0%

The poll is expired.

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

My vote was the 1960s, but the 1970s is close.

If you think about what popular music was like in the early 1960s to what it was at the end, it's unbelievable. The 70s had too much kitsch, which is why I think it falls behind the 60s.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post

If you think about what popular music was like in the early 1960s to what it was at the end, it's unbelievable. The 70s had too much kitsch, which is why I think it falls behind the 60s.
      I'd rank 60s 2nd. But most of my favorite 60s artists were still producing good music in the 70s and a ton of new stuff came along in the 70s as well. Disco was obviously an ignominious ending but top-40 music generally sucks anyways.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Comment

I'll go with "None Of The Above," because most musical movements don't fit neatly into decades. What was going on in 1971 had no relation whatsoever to what was going on in 1979. 1968 had much more in common with 1972 than 1962. The alternative music explosion on the late 80's/ early 90's was my favorite era/ genre, but it was pretty much played out by 1995, and the rest of the decade was a bleak wasteland. It's weird to say "The 90's were [whatever]" when one half of the decade was entirely different from the other.
        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Hmmmm, the 60's pop charts were littered with plenty of garbage while The Beatles and Stones and other giants of the era were doing their thing. The #1 song the week I was born wasn't some awesome track from Rubber Soul, it was I Got You Babe by Sony and Cher. It wasn't all Jumpin' Jack Flash in the 60's - there was a whole lot of Little Green Apples and Bobby Goldsboro and Jose Feliciano singing Light My Fire, too.
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
            Hmmmm, the 60's pop charts were littered with plenty of garbage while The Beatles and Stones and other giants of the era were doing their thing. The #1 song the week I was born wasn't some awesome track from Rubber Soul, it was I Got You Babe by Sony and Cher. It wasn't all Jumpin' Jack Flash in the 60's - there was a whole lot of Little Green Apples and Bobby Goldsboro and Jose Feliciano singing Light My Fire, too.
            I really disagree with this.

Was there garbage pop music in the post-British Wave 1960s? Of course. But many of the major pop stars of that era are the legends of today. The #1 song the day you were born may have been I Got You Babe, but the very next week it was Help! Then to finish out '65, you had another Beatles tune, the Stones, the Supremes and The Byrds. And this was typical of the '65-'69 era.

But pop music changed in the 70s, so the acts we consider to be classic today are not what was popular then according to the general public. If you look at the top of the Billboard charts in the '70s, they're littered with novelty songs, soft rock, crap country, disco, garbage pop. I'd wager you could find more songs to hit #1 and now considered to be "classics" in any single year between '65 and '69 than you will from any five-year period in the 1970s. For example, look at the dreck that were #1 hits, in order, in Feb-Apr 1974:
            The Way We Were
            Love's Theme
            Seasons in the Sun
            Dark Lady
            Sunshine on My Shoulders
            Hooked on a Feeling
            Bennie & the Jets
            TSOP

1975 & 1976 were worse -- and THEN disco hit.

There were tons of great music in the 1970s -- it's easily my favorite decade for music. So I'm not disagreeing with you on that. But the titans of the 1960s are still considered titans today, while many of the titans of the 1970s have faded into oblivion.

Comment

THe 70s are my favorite decade, the 60s a close second. The 60s sound was still a little creaky and old-fashioned; the advances in sound, production, electronic instrumentation and concert technology in the 70s made the difference.

Dark Side Of The Moon still sounds like it was released yesterday, while Sgt. Pepper's sounds closer to 1967.
              One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

I really disagree with this.

Was there garbage pop music in the post-British Wave 1960s? Of course. But many of the major pop stars of that era are the legends of today. The #1 song the day you were born may have been I Got You Babe, but the very next week it was Help! Then to finish out '65, you had another Beatles tune, the Stones, the Supremes and The Byrds. And this was typical of the '65-'69 era.

But pop music changed in the 70s, so the acts we consider to be classic today are not what was popular then according to the general public. If you look at the top of the Billboard charts in the '70s, they're littered with novelty songs, soft rock, crap country, disco, garbage pop. I'd wager you could find more songs to hit #1 and now considered to be "classics" in any single year between '65 and '69 than you will from any five-year period in the 1970s. For example, look at the dreck that were #1 hits, in order, in Feb-Apr 1974:
                The Way We Were
                Love's Theme
                Seasons in the Sun
                Dark Lady
                Sunshine on My Shoulders
                Hooked on a Feeling
                Bennie & the Jets
                TSOP

1975 & 1976 were worse -- and THEN disco hit.

There were tons of great music in the 1970s -- it's easily my favorite decade for music. So I'm not disagreeing with you on that. But the titans of the 1960s are still considered titans today, while many of the titans of the 1970s have faded into oblivion.
                Agree with all that, but does that make the 60's the best decade of music? Or simply a period of time where there was more overlap between the best music being made and what was being marketed and distributed to mass audiences? The latter is certainly true, the former is debatable.

The 60's benefit greatly from historical timing in that debate. "We invented electric guitar and keyboard based rock and roll" is a pretty good argument on the surface, but not a particularly fair one, since subsequent generations obviously had no such opportunity.

Comment

If you really feel compelled to break music up into ten-year cycles for comparison, I think you get a more sensible discussion by starting and ending mid-decade: 1966-1975/ 1976-1985/ 1986-1995/ 1996-2005. I think then the only real argument becomes which era gets 3rd place, and which gets 4th.

Comment

I think guys are all discounting how amazing this decade has been.

I mean...Miley Cyrus, One Direction, Justin Beiber....

These acts are going to stand the test of time.

Comment

Gotta be the 70's for me. Not only do you have the overflow from the late 60's, but you have the roots of most of the genres that would emerge from the 80's onwards: punk, post-punk, metal ... and new wave, funk, soul and disco are the roots of most modern pop music.
                      Last edited by johnnya24; 12-24-2013, 01:42 AM.

Comment

If you really feel compelled to break music up into ten-year cycles for comparison, I think you get a more sensible discussion by starting and ending mid-decade: 1966-1975/ 1976-1985/ 1986-1995/ 1996-2005. I think then the only real argument becomes which era gets 3rd place, and which gets 4th.
                        Yeah that's probably more accurate:

1966-1975
                        1986-1995
                        1996-2005
                        1976-1985

Comment

I chose the 60s, but also considered the 80s and 90s. Here's a shocker...that's the 3 decades of music I "grew up" listening. The 1960s (and late 1950s) from my Dad, and my childhood through college/army years of my own life.

That's really how most of us are choosing...what we listened to as we developed our music tastes. Except El Diablo...unless he's much older than he's letting on.
                          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Boring!
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

I dunno, the 1780s had Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, and Salieri... I guess we'll see how much airplay the Beatles get in 2290.
                              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Working...
                              X