Potus sotua

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    One of his best political speeches in quite a while, IMO. Paul Ryan did a credible job on the rebuttal as well.
    I agree on both counts. Many Obama supporters have been put out with his insistence upon trying to be bi-partisan, but I believe he will continue these efforts for another two years.

Ryan did do a credible job. It seems to me that he will does best when he tries to stick with his own ideas, as opposed to carrying water for others. He is obviously a smart guy, and can be one of our country's leading figures for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
      Ryan did do a credible job. It seems to me that he will does best when he tries to stick with his own ideas, as opposed to carrying water for others. He is obviously a smart guy, and can be one of our country's leading figures for a long time.
      Agree -- the GOP could do a lot worse than this guy, who seems to be very intelligent and reasonable.
      “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
      -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post
        Agree -- the GOP could do a lot worse than this guy, who seems to be very intelligent and reasonable.
        The contrast between Ryan and Bachmann was pronounced to say the least.
        I thought Ryan was the most capable Republican at last year's summit with the President as well.

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
          The contrast between a rational human being and Bachmann was pronounced to say the least.
          Fixed.
          “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
          -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
            So, yeah Chance, you want to get rid of that terrible deficit? Seems like there's a pretty obvious target here (and kudos to Obama for not wussing out regarding mentioning it). Instead, we get proposals to cut education and the like. Tired of the hypocrisy regarding spending. Again, where were these people in the eight years prior to 2008?
            Dude, I'm all over any and all cuts. Cut military spending? You bet. Heck, even Eric Cantor agreed with that before the SOTU speech.

Hypocrisy regarding spending? To get down to Bush-era deficits, we need to cut the present deficit 70 - 75%. That's hardly hypocrisy, that's finally facing reality. It's like a cancer patient who's gone from stage 1 to stage 4...and finally realizes they're sick.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post
              Well, that's setting the bar low! I'd hate to see anything where Michell Bachmann wasn't the craziest part of it.
              Up here in Minnesota, we're hoping beyond hope that she somehow decides to run for President in 2012. That way, we'll be done with her, hopefully for good.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
                The contrast between Ryan and Bachmann was pronounced to say the least.
                I thought Ryan was the most capable Republican at last year's summit with the President as well.
                I thought he was much better at last year's summit and when putting forth his own deficit tackling proposals than he was in the response to the SOTU. Yes, he was far better than Jindal the previous year, but for someone who has had a lot of very good and very specific ideas on the debt and the deficit, he offered far fewer ideas about actual places to cut than the President did, and the President wasn't specific enough either. Why wasn't a commitment to cutting the defense budget or to taking on entitlements anywhere in Ryan's speech? Why no mention of Simpson-Bowles? I agree with Lucky that this is the guy in the GOP I'd want to work with to attack the real problems we face, but also that he should stop carrying water for the less thoughtful and productive members of his party.

Comment

Working...
                X