*** 80's & 90's Record Draft Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18.07 Fly - Dixie Chicks (1999)

This is another album that isn't the "wheelhouse" of the majority of the people in this draft, but it's a really fun listen top to bottom and I know at least one other person who might grab it soon so I bumped it up a round or 3.

Comment

• 18.08 Chocolate and Cheese -- Ween (1994)

Ween are pretty much uncharacterizable despite being labeled as a joke band when their novelty song "Push th' Little Daisies" got MTV airplay in 1992. In reality, they are (were) a band with no boundaries -- every musical style and lyrical subject is on the table. And behind the songs are some serious musical chops; Dean Ween is one of his generation's best guitarists, Gene Ween has an astounding vocal range, and once they graduated from duo-with-four-track to "real band" in 1994, they assembled an incredible touring band.

Chocolate and Cheese was recorded and released during the transition to "real band" and as such is their most diverse and best album. Their Ween-est album if you will. It is the sound of a band that wanted to try everything and pulled it off: jaw-dropping guitar instrumentals ("A Tear for Eddie"), children's music on acid ("Mister Would You Please Help My Pony?"), '70s boogie rock ("Take Me Away," "Voodoo Lady"), Philly Soul ("Freedom of '76"), Eastern exotica ("I Can't Put My Finger on It") and country ("Drifter in the Dark"), for starters. Oh, and two deeply, disturbingly weird songs in "Spinal Meningitis (Got Me Down)" and "The HIV Song." No one said they were for everyone.

Bonus points for the cover art.

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• 18.09 - Goodbye Jumbo - World Party (1990)

Socially conscious 90's hippie pop goodness. Well done, Mr. Wallinger!

Is It Too Late?:

Way Down Now:

Put The Message In The Box:

Even the stuff that didn't get airplay was good, like the woozy Sweet Soul Dream:

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• 18.10 No Depression - Uncle Tupelo (1990)

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• 18.11 The Hurting - Tears For Fears (1983)

Some serious winners on this old favorite: the title track, 'Mad World', 'Pale Shelter', 'Change', 'Memories Fade'. It was a monster #1 in England, 65 weeks on the charts.
            One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• 18.12 - Sunshine on Leith - The Proclaimers (1988)

Song you already know:

Other stuff, with some variety in tempo:

note: it's shocking how awful their videos were.
              Last edited by mjl; 12-05-2013, 12:46 AM.
              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• 18.13 FLYING DOWN TO MONO VALLEY - Popinjays (1992)

The group performs frenetic power-pop in the New Wave tradition of the early-80s. Female vocals reminiscent of a chirpier Natalie Merchant, jangly guitars, bubbly harmonies, and innocent lyrics with an occasionally clever edge (Too Jung) make Mono Valley a pleasant place to drop in for a strawberry sundae. For special desert toppings, try the delicious, acoustic "The Moon Looks Nice From Here" and the impossibly effervescent "Vote Elvis."

I enjoy every song on this album. This is my favorite (and one of my top 25 songs of all time):

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Another one from the Popinjays:

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• 18.14 Crash - Dave Mathews Band (1996)
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• FOR LUCKY

18.15 What Up Dog? - Was Not Was

Comment

• 18.16....."A Momentary Lapse of Reason," Pink Floyd
                        Release Date: September 7, 1987

Even without Roger Waters, this album was played non-stop my freshman year in college.

Comment

• 19.01......"Centerfield," John Fogarty
                          Release Date: January 15, 1985

Talk about a comeback -- Fogarty's last album was 10 years before, in 1975. So to most teens in 1985, Fogarty was a relic from the Vietnam era. But what a comeback it was!

Comment

• FOR LUCKY

19.02 The Healer - John Lee Hooker ( )

Comment

• 19.03 Cruel Sun - Rusted Root (1992)

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• 19.04 ARC OF A DIVER - Steve Winwood (1980)

Just put on the headphones and enjoy. All killer, no filler I took "Slowdown Sundown" in the Desert Island draft.

Comment

Working...
                                X