No announcement yet.

*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• most of us are in our late 40s to early 50s and 80s music was a huge influence on us - I have very few picks for the 90s and there wouldnt be much overlap with others about many of those picks

Comment

• There were also more mega-legendary albums that EVERYONE knows in the 80s than in the 90s. Things will probably even out more as we get into lower rounds.

Some of us are late 30s/early 40s and were in high school or college in the early 90s, so I don't think the 90s will be getting short shrift when all is said and done.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
        There were also more mega-legendary albums that EVERYONE knows in the 80s than in the 90s. Things will probably even out more as we get into lower rounds.

Some of us are late 30s/early 40s and were in high school or college in the early 90s, so I don't think the 90s will be getting short shrift when all is said and done.
        My 90's list is considerably longer than my 80's list.

Comment

• Draft is pretty much to form so far, no Hey Bulldogs yet.
          One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
            My 90's list is considerably longer than my 80's list.
            So is mine... I'm going to hate watching you pick.
            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• I check the baseball forum once in a while and saw this thread. Any chance i can get in on the turn? The music draws me back

I know i bailed on the music festival draft but had some physical issues that really caused me some problems.

If not, no big deal
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                I check the baseball forum once in a while and saw this thread. Any chance i can get in on the turn? The music draws me back

I know i bailed on the music festival draft but had some physical issues that really caused me some problems.

If not, no big deal
                Glad to see you are still around here Mith. Unlike some, I miss ya.
                Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                  I check the baseball forum once in a while and saw this thread. Any chance i can get in on the turn? The music draws me back

If not, no big deal
                  Yeah ... pick last in Round 1, then I'll randomly assign you a slot from round 2 onwards

So only make 1 pick at the turn.

... but I'm adding an amendment to the rules : decapitation of testicles and big toes for anyone who bails

Comment

• Will do.. Thanks...
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I love Joshua Tree......if this was 1995. But 26 years later, I dunno, I kinda skip right over most lf these songs nowadays. Not that I'm not gonna take a U2 album........

And not for nothing, but I'm not in favor of a Mith entry.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                        I love Joshua Tree......if this was 1995. But 26 years later, I dunno, I kinda skip right over most lf these songs nowadays. Not that I'm not gonna take a U2 album........

And not for nothing, but I'm not in favor of a Mith entry.
                        Agreed. On both counts.

Comment

• eh, live and let live
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• I have no opinion on Mith, other than I'll have to bump up any Rush albums that might be on my list.

I was not expecting three REM albums in the first round. I Knew Murmur and Automatic were locks for high picks, but after that, I figured folks might wait since they have so many albums that are still revered today.

I am about the same age as Pogues and the first Violent Femmes album made a huge impact on my peers as well. It was very popular across the board in high school, rivaling The Joshua Tree or REM's mass breakout album (which hasn't been picked yet). One year in college -- the album was nearly 10 years old by this point -- we had them play our Spring Party and the crowd was totally rabid, especially when something from the debut was played. Pleasant surprise: Live, they jammed the hell out of things. I saw them a second time a year after graduation and the female portion of the crowd was probably the hottest I've ever seen at a show.
                            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                              eh, live and let live
                              +1 ...

Comment

• um ok on Mith

Comment

Working...
                                X