No announcement yet.

*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiohead is the only one I have never owned... I think I had Graceland on a tape at one point but it is long gone now.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• I own Nevermind, London Calling, OK Computer and Ten. Born in the USA and Graceland were so ubiquitous that I might as well have owned them. (And my parents did own them.) I heard most of Murmur during our REM draft. That leaves Licensed to Ill as the only pick that I'm not all that familiar with.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• I bought London Calling and Licensed To Ill as soon as they came out, OK Computer probably too. Didn't have to own Nevermind or Graceland because of roommates and brothers. Never was a fan of Bruce, Pearl Jam or REM.
        One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• License to Ill being taken ahead of me threw me for a loop. It was my sure fire #1 pick and then I had to choose between 2A and 2B. Hopefully, 2B may still be around by my next pick.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
            OK Computer was my no-brainer 1.01 also.
            I would have gone with London Calling if I had the first pick
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Born in the U.S.A - Bruce Springsteen, (1984)

Legit first pick. I'm not really into to 80's and 90's Boss, but you can't deny it's a great record, especially considering the dross that sold lots of records at the time.

Nevermind - Nirvana, (1991)

I would have been on my shortlist for an early pick, but I doubt I would have picked it ahead of the others. Really important record, especially since I was 16 when it came out. But I can't remember the last time I listened to Nevermind from start to finish.

London Calling - The Clash, (1980)

Another that would have been on the short list, but not top. The Clash had a big revival in the UK in the early 90's, both Rock the Casbah and Should I Stay got to number 1, which I don't think happened during their peak years. One of those bands I listened to a lot in the 90's and not much anymore. So on that criteria, I may have passed. It would have been a pure status / reputation pick.

Graceland
              - Paul Simon, (1986)

Very nice pick. Great record. one of the first LP#s I ever bought. I think it was second behind Brothers In Arms.

Licensed To Ill - The Beastie Boys, (1986)

It's a fun record, but sounds a bit dated these days. I have other Beasties records on my (very) long list.

OK Computer -Radiohead, (1997)

1.01 for me. Will sound 10 years ahead of its time in 30 years time. Never gets old. Legit contender in the GOAT album stakes.

Murmur -R.E.M. (1983)

Legit 1st rounder, but REM are so deep.

Ten - Pearl Jam, (1991)

Would have been one of my other shortlisted records. In fact I may have put it second overall behind OK Computer. Great record, which I still listen to quite often.

Automatic for the People - R.E.M. (1992)

If we didn't have the band restriction, I imagine Automatic would have been second overall on my list. The REM draft reminded me how amazing this record is. Secondary tracks like Try Not To Breathe or Ignoreland would be landmark signature tracks for normal bands. REM are not a normal band.

Comment

• My personal debate for the pick at 1.01 was between Born in the U.S.A. and Ten.

Comment

• Thought Eld would go Metalica in the first ... might be one of the few bands he's worried about facing competition for. I may pick a Metalica record later depending on how much competition there is.

Comment

• I was frankly quite surprised that Ten was still there for me at 1.08.

While I'm not a huge fan of Metallica (or much metal in general), their first three albums are enormous accomplishments that changed notions about what the genre was capable of. MoP is certainly a legit first round pick.

Comment

• I just listened to Automatic for the People and my thought upon finishing it was... if they cut out songs five through nine, it would be an amazing record.
                      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                        I just listened to Automatic for the People and my thought upon finishing it was... if they cut out songs five through nine, it would be an amazing record.
                        I'm indifferent to New Orleans and Star Me Kitten. Certainly wouldn't touch Sweetness Follows or Monty. Ignoreland is be my new favourite from the record, and it's now the most played song on my WinAmp player (all songs, not just REM). Amazing lyrics. Reading these lyrics from 1992, and seeing where we are now 20 years later, makes me think we really dropped the ball, in a REALLY big way. If this was the view from 1992, where the fuck do we stand today?

Comment

• Surprised The Joshua Tree lasted so long. It was the final song on my early pick short list (OK, Ten, London, Nevermind, Joshua) ... and I'm not even a U2 fan.

Has to be one of the best Side A's ever, and my favourite U2 song, Running To Stand Still:

"Where the Streets Have No Name"
                          "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"
                          "With or Without You"
                          "Bullet the Blue Sky"
                          "Running to Stand Still"

Comment

• Joshua Tree was on my list, and one of the albums I considered at 1.08. I don't listen to it all that much anymore, but it still holds up. It was not a surprise that so many of its songs went in the first two rounds of our U2 draft.

Comment

• A topical Automatic for the People factoid:

The Restaurant Automatic is named after is to close in the next 2/3 weeks.

“Automatic for the people” was the slogan used to describe Dexter Weaver’s Athens, Ga. restaurant Weaver D’s Delicious Fine Foods, but an official statement on Facebook from Weaver himself has revealed that the famous food stop intends to close its doors permanently in a few weeks.

“Weaver D’s Fine Foods is announcing that we will be closing the restaurant for good 2-3 weeks from today," the Facebook post read. "The restaurant is for sale along with it’s contents. Come and get your last eat-on here at Weaver D’s, where our food has made us world famous for the last 27 1/2 years! Automatic, Dexter Weaver!”

The restaurant’s motto inspired R.E.M.’s 1992 album Automatic for the People and in 2007 was honored as an American Classic by the James Beard Foundation, a nonprofit foodie organization that recognizes diners, lunch counters and other restaurants that offer “good, down-home food” and “unmatched hospitality.”

Comment

• 7 - 4

1980's over 1990's through 11 picks.

Comment

Working...
                                X