*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
    For me, personally, the explosion of grunge was a sort of vindication as well as a slightly sad chapter. We kids who listened to punk rock and metal liked having it as our own little secret (guess we were early hipsters or something). Metallica was NEVER on the radio.
    This explains much. You lived in a radio wasteland beyond comprehension.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Graceland is a fantastic pick! I hated 'You Can Call Me Al' when it first came out because of that dumbass video with Chevy Chase. But, my senior year of HS (1994) I was on the Academic Decathalon team and 'Homeless' was one of the songs chosen for the music event (all of other pieces were classical). I've grown fonder and fonder of it and agree, it was very instrumental in bringing the world music scene to a global audience. Ladysmith Black Mambazo regularly plays concerts in Tucson and I've been to every one. We actually visited Ladysmith when we were in ZA, but we rolled in after dark, and it was a sketchy looking place, so we kept driving to the next town, Kestel.

I wasn't going to take it with my first pick, but was hoping I might be able to snag it with my 2nd, since there are a lot of critics of that album IIRC.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Licensed to Ill another great pick that was on my list but knew I'd never get.

Might we have our first back-to-back artist picks? Methinks so.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Like ElD, I felt like Smells Like Teen Spirit and the rest of Nevermind was a huge, liberating experience from the dreck that was hard rock radio in the '80s. The fusion of the better parts of metal and punk really resonated with me. What really set it apart, though, was the songcraft. Cobain knew his way with riffs and hooks. The first "side" of Nevermind hasn't lost any of its magic. A few songs on the second "side" seem kind of rote now, but there were no clunkers and still aren't.

If I had had 1.01, I would have taken Nevermind or London Calling. I can't think of another record that dabbles in so many different genres so successfully as London Calling does. With every listen, you learn something new. That's not something you can say about many records that are 30+ years old.

I've never actually owned Graceland -- my parents had a copy and so did my sister, so I got plenty of exposure to it. It's not really my genre but the songs are among the finest of Simon's career, which is really saying something.

I'm not really into rap so the Beastie Boys weren't on my radar, but I would have figured at least two other of their records would have gone before LtI. Now, that's based on the opinion of my friends who are really into the Beasties and not on any sense of overall consensus.

DERP! I totally forgot about OK Computer. It is deservedly considered a masterpiece, but it takes such concentration to listen to it that it's not been my go-to Radiohead album for a long time. If I take a Radiohead album, it will be said go-to-record, which I think I can get much later. We'll see.

There are about five records that I'd really like to take at 1.08. It'll probably come down to which one I think has the least chance of getting back to me.
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• OK Computer was my no-brainer 1.01 also.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
              In my mind, Radiohead is a one-hit wonder band (Creep, of course). I never even really knew anyone who listened to them at all. They sure get tons of love with critics and here on RJ, though.
              I wasn't a big fan for a long time and then late at night I heard a live recording and it was like "whoa" - been hooked ever since

Comment

• My 1.01 was either London Calling or Murmur. Gun to head, I probably would have gone with London Calling, just because two albums worth of pure genius is even more impressive than one. If I had taken London Calling, my write-up would have been:

Best known song - London Calling
                Favorite song - Train In Vain (my favorite song by anyone, ever, hands down)
                Best unheralded song - Rudie Can't Fail (probably not really unheralded, because everybody knows that every song on this record is brilliant)
                Moment of pure genius - Wrong 'Em Boyo - Love the false start/ re-start after the first verse ("Start all over agaaaaain...")
                "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• If London Calling had been there, I would have had a hard time not taking it, but I'm glad I didn't have to choose between that OKC and Nevermind.
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                    OK Computer was my no-brainer 1.01 also.
                    If it made it to me, I was going to have a tough debate to screw you over and take it or let you have it.
                    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Out of curiosity, how far have/ had you made it with albums you own that have been selected? I made it to 1.06, but was stopped by Murmur. After our REM draft, I regret not owning it Doesn't much matter,I also don't own, and don't like anything by Pearl Jam.
                      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                        Out of curiosity, how far have/ had you made it with albums you own that have been selected? I made it to 1.06, but was stopped by Murmur. After our REM draft, I regret not owning it Doesn't much matter,I also don't own, and don't like anything by Pearl Jam.
                        LOL. I was out at 1.01.
                        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• actually - I have no idea how long you can wait on favorite album.

I have one that will go soon and then three that are likely not to get picked early - but they just might - so I am thinking picking early could be a why not?

Comment

• I enjoyed Ten when it came out, but I never really got into them...probably because of Eddie Vedder's voice. I've liked some of his solo stuff. I might still have the CD but doubtful.
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                              I enjoyed Ten when it came out, but I never really got into them...probably because of Eddie Vedder's voice. I've liked some of his solo stuff. I might still have the CD but doubtful.
                              This is a solid Pearl Jam cover of a great Victoria Williams song - I think it is true to who they are - I shows that I like about them and what bores me

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                                Out of curiosity, how far have/ had you made it with albums you own that have been selected? I made it to 1.06, but was stopped by Murmur. After our REM draft, I regret not owning it Doesn't much matter,I also don't own, and don't like anything by Pearl Jam.
                                The only other thing picked here that I own is London Calling. I have a Beastie Boys greatest hits album that has a lot of Licensed to Ill on it. I don't own anything by any of the other artists.
                                In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Working...
                                X