Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.09.....1965 Kentucky Derby winner Lucky Debonair

Comment

• Sorry guys, crappy job, 10 hour days, no internet. I'll get a pick up.

I'll be around all Saturday, working Sunday. I'll leave picks with Erik when I'm not here.

Comment

• Somebody else is up for a while.

Comment

• Nevermind would have gotten serious consideration if it had been there at 1.06. I didn't expect it to be.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
            Man, I didn't even understand that reference. :embarrassed:
            a new Daft Punk song but it snags some direct stuff from Nile Rogers.

There is a regular video to it but someone added these super fly badass dance moves to merge with the song

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
              Yes, this is very important! My 1st round pick hinges on this!
              Audible?
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Comment

• I'm trying to harass heye on FB but he's gone into hiding. Pizza coma?
                - Terence McKenna

Comment

• I most likely would have taken Nevermind at 1.08 but I figured (correctly) that it would be long gone.

Definitely one of those "changed my life" kinds of records.

And DMT proved my earlier point about "similarity scores."
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Nevermind was on my...short?...list. I put it into the category of likely to be selected (I think someone else also broke down their list as likely, somewhat likely, and unlikely to be taken). I am re-listening to all the albums in the likely to be taken category, and listened to Nevermind today.

It was a groundbreaking album, coming out when I was DJing in college, a very important time in my life, especially musically. It has some grunge classics on the album, songs I still appreciate it. A song was even selected by Weird Al to cover, and he even mimicked the Nevermind album cover for one of his...high praise indeed.

And upon listening to the album, I realized something very important. I became bored listening to the album. So many of the songs sound similar, almost seemingly running together into one long song. By the time I hit what would be side 2, the album was wearing on me, and I just wasn't enjoying it.

So while I'm not surprised it was taken so early, and I do like the album, I'm not upset in the least it was taken. I don't think I'd even have drafted it in the last round if it was still around.
                    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                      1.03 - London Calling - The Clash

The only band that matters. /draftover
                      #technicality
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                        Nevermind was on my...short?...list. I put it into the category of likely to be selected (I think someone else also broke down their list as likely, somewhat likely, and unlikely to be taken). I am re-listening to all the albums in the likely to be taken category, and listened to Nevermind today.

It was a groundbreaking album, coming out when I was DJing in college, a very important time in my life, especially musically. It has some grunge classics on the album, songs I still appreciate it. A song was even selected by Weird Al to cover, and he even mimicked the Nevermind album cover for one of his...high praise indeed.

And upon listening to the album, I realized something very important. I became bored listening to the album. So many of the songs sound similar, almost seemingly running together into one long song. By the time I hit what would be side 2, the album was wearing on me, and I just wasn't enjoying it.

So while I'm not surprised it was taken so early, and I do like the album, I'm not upset in the least it was taken. I don't think I'd even have drafted it in the last round if it was still around.
                        I understand these comments, and the album does sound a bit dated on the 200th listen. And I'm not a Cobain fanboy. But the band was in the right place at the right time, and Nevermind probably had as much or more influence on subsequent artists as anything that will be taken in the first ten picks.

My guess is that most everything else I want will just be sitting there when it is my turn. I did think #1 and #3 were brilliant picks. I had forgotten that London Calling had a late U.S. release. It loses a couple of points for marketing shenanigans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                          I understand these comments, and the album does sound a bit dated on the 200th listen. And I'm not a Cobain fanboy. But the band was in the right place at the right time, and Nevermind probably had as much or more influence on subsequent artists as anything that will be taken in the first ten picks.

My guess is that most everything else I want will just be sitting there when it is my turn. I did think #1 and #3 were brilliant picks. I had forgotten that London Calling had a late U.S. release. It loses a couple of points for marketing shenanigans.
                          true but we all think of it as an album to start the 80s not end the 70s

Comment

• When I first started hearing "Smells Like Teen Spirit" on the radio, I honestly thought it was Metallica or something; not my cup of tea. But by the third or fourth listen that chorus sunk in and I was hooked like everyone else.

I was already turning 30 in '91, so I was well beyond the 'youthful rebellion' stage; in fact, Nirvana's bleak, howling-anger thing kind of scared me (still does). But my younger brother bought the CD and we both were impressed at how good it was. To me, grunge was simple: it combined the long-haired, flannel-shirt heavy metal of the 70s with the hardcore punk of the 80s. But I was 30 so it wasn't meant for me, it was meant for the next generation. I watched from the sides while the kids had fun in the mosh pit.
                            One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Good analysis. While not my personal favorite of the period, I thought it deserved an early pick. I'm guessing most of my favorites will draw yawns from the crowd.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post

I understand it's amazing influence, but we are drafting on liking the entire album...and Nevermind just doesn't make the cut for me.

That's not to say I disapprove of the pick...it should be a top 5 selection in this draft.
                                Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                                X