*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
    One of my friends played guitar with Ginger during one of Ginger's hiatuses (hiati?) from the Wildhearts, while he decamped to NYC. I've never heard any of the Wildhearts' music.

Funny how we all have different tastes in Uncle Tupelo. You prefer Still Feel Gone, but No Depression was drafted and Anodyne was on my short list; I would have picked it had we gone 30 rounds.

I was kind of surprised that no GBV records were taken, given how ardent some folks are about them. However, Pollard is so ridiculously prolific that perhaps that leads to inconsistency.
    I wish Pollard would not release so many albums. When he's on he's amazing but I don't have time to dig through two - three albums a year to find the gems. Bee Thousand and Alien Lanes are truly masterpieces. No Depression is a very close second to Still Feel Gone. I love Anodyne too but it was mellower and when I got into them I liked them cause they were rocking but still country.

My brother played mandolin one night a few years back on a song when Ginger was doing a residency at a small club in New York. Was your friend in one of his solo projects? Or was it just a one time show? Either way that's very cool. Ginger is still putting out great music.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
      I thank Bucky for turning me on to the Wildhearts. My friend Lily is close friends with one or two of the MSP dudes, and has tried to get me in to them, but I just haven't yet for some reason.
      You are very welcome.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Good stuff with the Wildhearts, I'll have to check them out further.

I skipped over one artist/album when I made that previous list because I wanted him to stand out a bit. With no further ado, here's Mason Jennings - a singer/songwriter type with somewhat of a country influence:

My favorite track:

and another gem (performed live):

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
          I thank Bucky for turning me on to the Wildhearts. My friend Lily is close friends with one or two of the MSP dudes, and has tried to get me in to them, but I just haven't yet for some reason.
          They are really nice guys. Probably why they have such dedicated fans. All the hardcore MSP fans always congregate over of the right hand side of the stage with Nicky Wire.

I wrote a list of landfill 90's Britpop bands last week, and was thinking as I wrote out the list "I can't remember the name of a single member of these bands". They had no identifiable characteristics apart from Sleeper ... and their identifiable characteristic was that they had no identifiable characteristic apart from a cute lead singer. No great guitarists, or singers, or songwriters, or opinions, or characters. Just blandness. Where were the big characters from the early 90's ... even that. Nicky Wire and MSP are always great value for money.
          Last edited by johnnya24; 12-31-2013, 09:46 AM.

Comment

• Draft Order:

1 Mith
            2 Overkill
            3 Chancellor
            4 Buckybuckner
            5 TheGaffer
            6 Revo
            7 Friarfan
            8 Johnny
            9 Senorsheep
            10 Swampdragon
            11 Mancalledfoot
            12 Erik
            13 Eldiablo
            14 Grinch
            15 Pogues
            16 DMT

17 (deleted)

TheGaffer
            Revo
            Eldiablo
            Mancalledfoot
            Swampdragon
            Mith
            Buckybuckner
            Johnny
            Erik
            Pogues
            Overkill
            Chancellor
            DMT
            Senorsheep
            Friarfan
            Grinch

Comment

• Will Mith be able to resist picking Rush at 1.01? I don't think so

This could be a roadblock:

7 Friarfan (West Coast)
              8 Johnny (Europe)
              9 Senorsheep (Rockies)

... and with Swampdragon at 10, there could be some arghs in there.

Comment

• Unoffically Mith can start whenever he's ready to roll.

Comment

• Aw man...first two picks and the top two albums on my list. What a bummer. I'm soooooo upset!!!
                  Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                    Aw man...first two picks and the top two albums on my list. What a bummer. I'm soooooo upset!!!
                    Wrong thread ...

Comment

• I added a videos for a few more albums. I'll try to get it all finished tomorrow. I hope people are still reading it.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• 04 - Hum, Downward Is Heavenward, 1997

You probably heard their semi hit from the previous album; "Stars". It had the lyrics, "She missed the train to Mars, she's out back counting stars." I like to call them dreamy metal or probably shoe gazy metal. Slow and melodic but thick distorted guitars. I paid a lot to have this one on vinyl.
                        Do you like Swervedriver? They have some of the same elements.
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                          Do you like Swervedriver? They have some of the same elements.
                          Yup. Not as much as Hum but I do like them. Saw them both on the same bill back in the late 90s. Really good show.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                            Yup. Not as much as Hum but I do like them. Saw them both on the same bill back in the late 90s. Really good show.
                            I saw them at The Stone Pony in Asbury Park, NJ in 1994 or so. I spent their whole set standing by the side of the stage and staring at the lead guitarist's pedals. It was quite a massive array.
                            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Wow, that went fast. Too late for me to get in?

Comment

• I can't seem to find the draft thread for this draft ... did we call it something different?

Anyway, just watched "Breadcrum Trail", a documentary about Slint and the recording of "Spiderland". Really interesting. I had no idea that Britt was the original drummer for The Breeders on Pod. I think it was either Fresno Bob or DMT picked it pretty early ... but I'm not sure, could have been Scott (can't recall what his online moniker was this particular week )

I've had Spiderland on loop with a lot of other noise rock type stuff and Tool for the last month ... it really embeds itself into your brain.

Comment

Working...
                                X