Ender's Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ender's Game

I've never read the book, but I'm intrigued. I'll probably pick it up for the holidays. The movie is coming out next week. Any RJ fans?

I thought this article by Rany was very good: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...rsonal-history

i loved the book when i read it, but that was probably 20 years ago or so. i don't know if it would stand the test of time; i intend to re-read it before i go see the film.
    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

It is excellent. One of the best science fiction books ever. The sequels... not so much. Locke and Demosthenes (Ender's brother and sister) are a bit too preachy and the books where they get more visibility aren't as enjoyable.
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Enders Game has pretty decent reviews. Flipping a coin between this and Philomena tonight. Because it may not get an extended cinema run, I think I'll probably see Philomena first.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
          It is excellent. One of the best science fiction books ever. The sequels... not so much. Locke and Demosthenes (Ender's brother and sister) are a bit too preachy and the books where they get more visibility aren't as enjoyable.
          I agree.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Card himself is pretty preachy. He's a Mormon who is also a Democrat.

Enders Game began as a concept for a special battle school. Card says he first started thinking about it in grade school, which makes sense, since that is the age pf the hero.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
              Card himself is pretty preachy. He's a Mormon who is also a Democrat.

Enders Game began as a concept for a special battle school. Card says he first started thinking about it in grade school, which makes sense, since that is the age pf the hero.

J
              After reading that article JC linked, I find it shocking he calls himself a Democrat.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                After reading that article JC linked, I find it shocking he calls himself a Democrat.
                I gather the same would be true of many New England Republicans. It may be a matter of comparison with those around him.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

The movie is being boycotted by the LGBTQ community as Orson Scott Card is a sitting board member of the hideous National Organization for Marriage, the group of extremist bigots who equate marriage equality to incest, polygamy, etc. Every dime spent on tickets to this movie puts moneyin the coffers of these haters. It's a must miss.
                  "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                    Actually, I just read a piece on this and Card gets no compensation for box office sales whatsoever. He's already been paid. Missing it on a symbolic basis is about all one can do at this point.
                    Nope, he gets back end participation based on the film's net. Money spent to see the film is money spent to support bigotry. The distributor has been putting out false info like that since the opposition materialized last year.
                    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                      The movie is being boycotted by the LGBTQ community as Orson Scott Card is a sitting board member of the hideous National Organization for Marriage, the group of extremist bigots who equate marriage equality to incest, polygamy, etc. Every dime spent on tickets to this movie puts moneyin the coffers of these haters. It's a must miss.
                      While incest is a hideous crime that deserves up to the death penalty, I'm shocked the LGBTO community would oppose polygamy. Who are they to say what consenting adults can and can not do in the bedroom?

I think I'll watch it twice just to protest the hypocrisy. I'd go three times, but then the extra dimes I spend might go to Democratic candidates.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

A very good article on the Ender's Game controversy by Rany Jazayerli over at Grantland.

Comment

Pretty good movie considering the amount of kids in the cast. IMO it was a better executed adaptation than The Hunger Games.

[semi-rant]

I'll have to read the book, especially in the light of the controversy that has accompanied the movie. I have seen the word "tolerance" thrown around quite liberally as if that is a positive ... "the book empathizes tolerance", "the author should be more tolerant with his views".

Tolerance is a negative. It's in the meaning - you are tolerating something you deep down hate / despise.

Tolerance should not be a goal, and I hear it used as a goal / ideal far too often. "Society should not learn to be more tolerant" ... no society should learn to overcome discrimination, not politely conceal it.

[/semi-rant]

Comment

Ender's Shadow is Ender's Game told from Bean's point of view, I found it much more interesting than Ender's Game, which I read when it first came out and had figured out half way through.....
                            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                            X