The Rise of the New New Left

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rise of the New New Left

Pretty interesting stuff. I am 37 but I identify more with "Millenials" than "Gen Xers". And I'd support Warren over Clinton.

Bill de Blasio’s win in New York’s Democratic primary isn’t a local story. It’s part of a vast shift that could upend three decades of American political thinking. By Peter Beinart
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Likely next NYC Mayor Bill DiBlasio has made ending big business subsidies a priority, saying that the idea that the companies would leave the state if not for the tax breaks to be absurd.

Many on the left agree, while many on the right think a lot of Fortune 500 companies would relocate thousands of workers to just across the Hudson in NJ - particularly if Governor Christie puts out the welcome mat.

I must say, it would be pretty interesting to finally figure out if those companies are bluffing....
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

To say that those in their early 40s, whose "plastic years" were in the late Reagan- Bush Sr.-early Clinton years, have that much in common with those my age, who lived through the VietNam War, Watergate, and worst of all Jimmy Carter's disastrous Presidency, is absurd.
      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

First time I've heard generation X referring to that time period. That just wrong. Douglas Coupland coined the term to define the directionless late 80's early 90's generation

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          First time I've heard generation X referring to that time period. That just wrong. Douglas Coupland coined the term to define the directionless late 80's early 90's generation
          wikipedia:

Generation X, commonly abbreviated to Gen X, is the generation born after the Western Post–World War II baby boom. Demographers, historians and commentators use beginning birth dates from the early 1960s to the early 1980s.
          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
            wikipedia:
            Learn something new ... never associated that generation as Gen X.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
              Learn something new ... never associated that generation as Gen X.
              Neither did I. The term I always heard for the post-Baby Boom generation, at least here in the US, was "Baby Bust". The unofficial term we Boomers used was, "Oh, them".
              Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
              -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                Neither did I. The term I always heard for the post-Baby Boom generation, at least here in the US, was "Baby Bust". The unofficial term we Boomers used was, "Oh, them".
                I still can't get my head around this. It must be a conspiracy. I thought I was a gen X'er .... now I realize I'm probably not. I'm burning my old plaid shirts.

A couple of weeks back I went to my parents for diner. My Dad was sitting playing Zygna poker, as he does on his day off. But he was wearing one of my old plaid shirts from the early 90's. My first reaction was "ugh ... did I used to wear that in public?". Second reaction was, "Damn those things are hard wearing". Now I'm just disillusioned by plaid.

Comment

Working...
                X